Fri July 22 2016 14:50:07

Seller Spends Hours to Resolve eBay Feedback Problem

By: Reader

I guess it is my turn to have problems with eBay. I had a buyer that bought two items asking for combined shipping. I complied, and the buyer was unhappy. He got rather irate in fact. He asked me to cancel the order. I refused, stating that he needed to request the cancellation knowing that he would give me negative feedback.

Low and behold I get a message from eBay showing that I had requested to cancel the order, and also the buyer left me two negs. I called eBay about how they could initiate a cancellation request on my behalf without my knowledge. They swore up and down that eBay could not do that.

Over 3-1/2 hours I talked to many reps, all saying that eBay could not initiate a cancellation request without my approval. They also said that they could not remove the negative feedback.

I in no way shape or form initiated a cancel order request. They never would admit that eBay would or could initiate a cancel order request without my approval. However, when transferred back again to the feedback department, the rep I got this time had absolutely no problem with removing the two negatives saying that the buyer wanted to cancel the order and that he should not be able to leave any negative feedback.

One half of my problem ended up getting resolved, but it is scary to know that eBay will initiate requests on my behalf because a buyer had called and complained, and then won't admit that it can happen. What else will eBay do without my knowledge?

And as usual the left hand of eBay doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and obviously the reps there aren't on the same plane. Amazingly, I had what appears to be all US based reps. And eBay wants us to recommend selling on eBay to others?
Eugene

Seller Spends Hours to Resolve eBay Feedback Probl   Seller Spends Hours to Resolve eBay Feedback Probl

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jul 22 18:51:50 2016

Wow!  3 1/2 hours.  That some customer service. Some bad customer service that is. Customer no-service.

Anytime I am speaking to an eBay CSR I feel like I am talking to a young adult with a young child's brain.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jul 23 12:59:30 2016

A buyer can ONLY formally "request" a cancellation within ONE hour of their purchase.  When a buyer does the formal "request" it does NOT create a cancellation.  ONLY the seller can do that.  The seller may opt to honor what the buyer has "requested" or they may choose not to.  That is the seller's choice.

When more than an hour passes after a purchase and a buyer emails you asking for a cancellation, the seller can choose to honor that request and open a cancellation with the reason being "buyer asked...".  The buyer will then get an email [if no payment had been received] and they can agree or disagree with the cancellation request.

If a payment had of been received the seller can refund during the opening of the cancellation request.  Once the refund is verified the cancellation closes.  That usually only takes a matter of minutes.

With the email from the buyer asking for the sale to be cancelled and the actual cancellation being done using "buyer asked...", the FB could be removed if the buyer were to leave negative FB.

A "request" for cancellation does NOT make a cancellation.  It is as stated, a request, nothing more.

Ebay CSRs were correct, Ebay doesn't create a cancellation request on behalf of a buyer or a seller.  But lets just say they did for some strange reason, it is a REQUEST, if the OP was positive this isn't what they wanted to do for the buyer, then just close it and deny it.

With all that said, it is rarely in the best interest of a seller to refuse to do a cancellation for a buyer when they ask.  The OP already knew this buyer was a problem with the structure of the emails sent.  So by telling them that you will not do a cancellation it only serve to take this problem to the next level and the OPs account was damaged.  Was it really worth it?

I'm not saying the buyer was right.  I've had similar buyers to and they are frustrating to deal with to say the least.  But to get stubborn about doing a cancellation is not in the seller's best interest as it clearly wasn't in this story.

by: The_Original_Poster This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 23 15:42:59 2016

I am not the OP in this thread.

It does not sound like the OP was refusing to cancel, simply that they wanted the buyer to initiate rather than doing so themselves.  Of course I'm assuming that this was done within the 1-hour time window for buyer-requested cancellations.

In my past experience, eBay reps normally have no issues with removing negative feedback if a buyer requests to cancel, either with the 1-hour time window cancellation request, or simply asking in an eBay message.

Lastly, I also have had an eBay rep go into my account and request a cancellation without my consent.  It is not something that they are supposed to do and is something they will usually deny if it happens, but sometimes their reps make mistakes.  I believe that eBay reps generally have the ability (although not approval) to take any action on your account as if they were logged in with your user ID.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jul 23 16:34:47 2016

If had been more than an hour after purchase.  Asking the seller to cancel with an email is the best a buyer can do.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 25 10:14:47 2016

What a waste of 3 1/2 hours as feedback no longer counts against the seller.

Must have been a ego thing as most of us have better things to do that chat with useless customer service that couldn't care less.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jul 25 15:55:38 2016

You are correct froggy, but while it doesn't count in the stats against a seller FOR THE TIME BEING, that can change without notice.

But more importantly it could scare off a buyer from time to time.  That would be my concern over anything to do with stats.

I understand from your point of view it may be "ego", but from my point of view it is a good business decision for the health and future of the account.

If you don't battle the ones that should be removed as there may come a time you get one that you can't get removed.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 25 19:38:58 2016

Wear the red donut proudly and don't fold to the useless buyer who has to satisfy some ego by giving a negative.

Feedback is useless. Buyers are so thrilled to have 100 percent but those that taunt it when buying from you are no better that the slime that will cheat you. Feedback for sellers is just as useless. Just because you have 100 percent doesn't mean you won't screw me if the feather tickles your fancy. Its the nature of things.

Spending 3 1/2 hours with some slick talker is a waste of time.

Wear the red badge proudly. We are not perfect.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jul 25 19:51:11 2016

Again, NOT "ego", but a valid business decision when you have a good chance of getting it removed.

I too agree with you about a buyers FB, but the same does not hold true for a seller's FB which is what we've been discussing.

You certainly have a low opinion of sellers.  Fortunately most sellers don't operate the way you describe.

Yes, all that time on the phone to fix a problem is excessive to say the least.  Over the years I know I've certainly spent that kind of time on the phone with Ebay to fix one problem or another.  It shouldn't be that way but sometimes it certainly is.

by: C.Page This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 26 07:46:56 2016

Good for you Marie! Of course seller feedback is important and a seller initiated cancellation, as far as I know, earns a defect on the seller's account.

by: peetee This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 26 10:19:45 2016

Recently I read that most companies do not want to give support to online problems. That is the reason for all of us who wait and wait for online customer service.
The companies hope we will go away

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 26 10:34:53 2016

> Lo and behold I get a message from eBay showing
> that I had requested to cancel the order, and also
> the buyer left me two negs. I called eBay about how they
> could initiate a cancellation request on my
> behalf without my knowledge. They swore up and
> down that eBay could not do that.

Regarding this particular point, I'm wondering if this might just be a distraction caused by some really bad choices of wording in a boilerplate text message. That is, the message is correct if the seller DID request a cancellation, but it's also getting used in cases like this where he did not.

I've had first-hand experience with similar cases where a buyer wanted to cancel. I didn't mind doing so at the time, as a Second Chance Offer to the next guy in line would only have been one increment less, but it was frustrating to have to step through a bunch of less-than-accurate messages from eBay in order to complete the cancellation, and get out from under the first sale in order to get the SCO sent out.

To be clear, I knew where I was in the process regardless of what the messages were saying (e.g. ''We're waiting to confirm with the buyer that you have refunded the payment,'' when in fact no payment had ever occurred), but I had no idea what kind of incorrect messages were going to the buyer at the same time.

eBay frequently shows no evidence that their coding OR their standard messages have undergone any kind of peer review.

by: minnie This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 26 11:15:31 2016

Any time a buyer asks me to cancel, either a bid or a sale, I do so.

Why force the buyer to pay, only to file an ''item not as described'' case so I then have to provide a prepaid shipping label to get the item back (and who knows what condition it might be in) and then refund item price + shipping?

With that scenario, I end up in the hole, and quite possibly a damaged item so the item is ''not as described''.

Cancel order - buyer's request.  Be done with it and relist or make a Second Chance Offer.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 26 14:46:47 2016

You're far better off just allowing 96 hours to elapse and opening an UPI dispute. That shuts off the carp. Any Red Donut from buyer will be viewed as retaliatory, hence it's removable.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jul 26 21:14:49 2016

@volvo351

That is really risky if your buyer asked for a cancellation.  I'm not sure why you would even want to take such a risk.

It isn't 96 hours.  You can open an UPI after 48 hours, then 96 hours after you open it you can close it for non payment IF they buyer didn't pay.

In a situation where a buyer asks for a cancellation and if you do as you advise, then all the buyer has to do is pay and then leave negative FB for you.  Which you would NOT get removed unless they said something directly related to the UPI or breach some other rule on language.

Then once they got the item, they could request a return / open a claim.  And now you have to deal with this too.

Potentially a lot of work and damage to your account that could have been completely avoided by filing the cancellation that the buyer requested.  But of course if this is your preferred way to handle things, that certainly is for you to decide.

by: fifilapew This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 27 09:08:25 2016

Totally in agreement with Marie on this one

Why would you set yourself up for additional future headaches with a buyer that is asking for cancellation??

Be thankful they had a change of heart (buyer's remorse-some call it) and asked BEFORE you sent items. Never know what condition they could have been returned to you in to get their refund...some will do just about anything plus you've already p*ssed them off so it's fair game in ebay land

Pick your battles, be happy...life is good

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 27 20:38:10 2016

all the cancellation requests generate a message that sounds like the seller asked to cancel or something like that. It does not mean anything, the important thing is to make sure to check the box that it was ignited and requested by the buyer. and a buyer can leave feedback after a purchase even before they pay for the item but once a non-pay request or a request to cancel is initiated no feedback can supposedly be left. In the rare cases that it happens I have been able to get it removed after a phone call.