Sun July 17 2016 15:29:49

eBay Sends Payments to Wrong Seller But Refuses to Help

By: Reader

Dear Ms. Steiner,
I read your article when it appeared on EcommerceBytes on May 26. As I do not use the new listing tool I did not think it would pertain to me.

I am a 17 year veteran of eBay. I have over 2700 items for sale at any given time in my store. The glitch that you wrote about with eBay's new listing tool is not just in the new listing tool, as I do not use the new listing tool.

The standard listing tool "Selling Manager Pro" has the same glitch.

I listed 66 items in the past 2 days. So far 9 of the items that were purchased, have been paid to a PayPal account other than mine. I didn't know anything about this until I went to ship the items and saw that I had not been paid.

I immediately called eBay to find out what happened. I was transferred 3 times until I was connected to security who told me that they were aware of the glitch and that they would connect me to PayPal to rectify the situation. They said PayPal would take the funds out of the incorrect account and transfer them to mine. Jonathan then said he was transferring me to PayPal, except the number he transferred me to was an eBay number that never answered.

I then called PayPal directly, explained the problem and was told it was an eBay problem and I would have to call eBay. By this time I was getting extremely irate and Carla from PayPal offered to conference call with eBay.

Carla tried to get Adrian from eBay to understand that she could not help me and that eBay needed to find out why they sent payment for my items to the incorrect account. At this point eBay said they had security issues and if the conference call continued, eBay would hang up. Carla disconnected from the call. I was then transferred to Mary from security who said eBay had no such problem and no glitch ever existed.

I have had to contact my customer, cancel the order so the customer can get a refund from whomever they paid.

It is an ongoing nightmare as I don't know how, or if I will get paid, or if eBay will send the payment for my listed items to some other account.

I am writing so you can inform people of this ongoing problem, as it is not resolved. It is NOT just in the new listing tool. It is also in the Pro Merchant listing system.

In the hour and a half I spent on the phone, eBay representatives told me the glitch does exist and are working on it to fix it, and that the glitch never existed.
Sincerely,
Stephen

eBay Sends Payments to Wrong Seller But Refuses to   eBay Sends Payments to Wrong Seller But Refuses to

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Jul 17 17:59:10 2016

Stephen,

Did you check the PP payment address on these affected listings.  I ask because it would be interesting to know if they appear as they should have always appeared or if Ebay altered them.

This is a very scary problem and the more we know the better we are able to protect ourselves.  Would you mind checking some of the sold listings to see how your payment address reads?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 17 18:52:44 2016

When ever ANYTHING goes wrong - its always NEVER eBays fault .... universal maxim!

by: globalhistory This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 18 03:41:54 2016

Paypal and Ebay should have a course RESPONSIBILITY. Please!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jul 18 07:06:16 2016

The split of eBay and PayPal have compounded the problem--"it's their fault", no "it's their fault".

by: DebraD This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 18 08:59:49 2016

I have a question, you say that you went to ship the items, but saw that you had not been paid. Were the items still in your awaiting to be paid que, or were they showing paid, but you checked Paypal anyway? I am also interested to know what payal email address was listed on your listing page. Was it yours or someone else's? I rely on the integrity of Ebay and Paypal's system with regard to payments. Now I am concerned that I will need to double check every payment before shipping!!!

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 18 13:11:06 2016

I have been here, done this but it was MY fault.  So here's how I worked it thru.

1. do "sell similar" and see what email addy is actually on the listing.

If it's actually your paypal email address - call ebay and ask for Trust and Safety and don't take no til they fix it and retrieve your money

If its a typo in your actual Paypal email address - try to register that email address with whatever provider it shows.  Then you can add that email to your paypal account and the funds will transfer correctly. (this is what i had to do. But I got an awesome CSR the day I figured out what I'd done.  Happened she was someone ebay was laying off in 2008 so she went above and beyond to help me since she couldn't get fired for doing it.

But getting control of an obvious typo'd email address, a mistake I could in all likelihood make again in the future saved me lots of anxiety these last 8 years.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jul 18 13:54:09 2016

@debrad

NEVER depend on Ebay to be right all the time.  I ALWAYS verify that my PP payment was actually received before shipping.  YES check EVERY payment.  It really doesn't take that much time and you then will know for sure that your payment was actually received.

Over the years there haven't been many problems, but there has been some that could have been costly.  Sometime email notifications are slowed down and I've gone into PP to verify a payment to find out it is on hold for security reasons.

Or I've been notified of a PP payment yet Ebay hasn't notified me of a sale.  It can go both ways.  But without exception verify every payment, it is NOT time consuming and it is time well spent.

by: abprules This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 18 18:38:14 2016

Stephen, put all of the information in an email (including screen prints, item ID's, user ID, who you talked with in security, at paypal, etc.) to Griff@ebay.com. And then call in to eBay Radio and ask for some suggestions.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 23 01:48:45 2016

Griff will get answers when you get the run-around from the regular eBay support folks. He's helped me a few times!