Tue July 12 2016 16:54:39

eBay Seller Plays Beat the Clock Due to Time Zone Settings

By: Reader

I don't think I am the only person with this problem - but I really would like to know if there is a way to fix it.

I live in Ohio - Eastern Daylight Time - and check for any payments by Midnight. Wake up in the morning with my paid items all packed only to find that people have paid on the West Coast in Pacific Time between Midnight and 3 am my time.

Is there anywhere on the site to change this?
C.

eBay Seller Plays Beat the Clock Due to Time Zone   eBay Seller Plays Beat the Clock Due to Time Zone

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 12 17:03:14 2016

Ebay won't change. They don't care. That is why we use 3 day shipping and don't jump for carrots.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Tue Jul 12 19:00:04 2016

I am on the east coast too and this has never been a problem. This would be considered same day shipping since the east coast would be 3 hours ahead. You would have the entire day to print out a label but be sure to change the shipping date to the next day.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jul 12 19:54:30 2016

The fact that people even have to think about this is just insane. But it is eBay, so what else should I expect.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 12 21:34:09 2016

OP, you have REALLY misunderstood the Next Business Day shipping. ... BitByBit has it for you accurately. You have confused NEXT BUSINESS DAY completely. If YOU got any order YESTERDAY .. Eastern Time Yesterday ... You have all of TODAY to pack and ship for it to meet Next Business Day shipping requirement.  Looking past THAT weekday example if you get any PAID order on ANY Saturday you have until the END of BUSINESS on MONDAY to ship as Monday is the Next Business Day for Saturday.  If that Saturday order had come on July 2nd you would have had until TUESDAY July 5th to ship as that 4th of July 3-day weekend. I ship easily 90 percent of my orders on the SAME CALENDAR DAY the order is paid and have never NOT shipped by the First Business Day... Full Disclosure I'm RETIRED, live less than 10 minutes from FOUR different post offices and have over 40 years of packing shipping experience so fulfilling eBay orders is like falling off a log... and second nature for me.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Jul 13 00:28:45 2016

angryllama is correct.

According to Customer Service, ebafia doesn't consider Saturday a business day so any order after midnight Pacific Time Friday morning doesn't really have to be shipped until the following Monday in order to meet the the one day handing time.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jul 13 10:40:55 2016

The OP says nothing about the weekend!

I think this is what the OP is talking about.

I'm on the West Coast, I buy an item from a seller in NY at 10 pm my time on Monday.

It's 1 am on Tuesday for the seller.

I ordered my item on Monday so the seller has to ship on Tuesday.

When the seller gets up in the morning they have that day to ship out my item to meet the 1 day handling time.

I'm not on the East Coast so I'm not sure how it works but it seems that's what the OP is complaining about.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Wed Jul 13 11:22:31 2016

I guess reading comprehension isn't your thing Tool. The OP gave the time midnight to 3AM but even if the buyer paid at 10pm pacific time it still would be considered same day shipping. A day being 24hrs. To be TRS+ is a one day handling time NOT shipping time which would be the next day. Got it now?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jul 13 11:30:21 2016

@ bitbybit

12-3 am EASTERN TIME = 9 pm - 12 am PACIFIC TIME

Talk about COMPREHENSION

You need to RE-READ yourself & the OP

PS: Are you a TRS? I am!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jul 13 11:32:20 2016

@ tibbybit

Let's compare our eBay accounts.

I'm z50com, who are you?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jul 13 11:41:00 2016

@ bitbybit

From ebay:

1 business day handling time: If a buyer pays on Tuesday, you need to upload tracking by 11:59:59 pm Pacific Time on Wednesday.

It says NOTHING about 24 hours!

In fact if you buy in the early morning the seller has anywhere from 24 to 47 hours 59 minutes to upload tracking depending on what time you buy the item.

I've been a full time seller on eBay since 2000, I've had an account since Jan 1998

I think I know how all this stuff works. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jul 13 18:43:01 2016

Toolguy is correct.  This has been a known problem for a long time.  Ebay has said they are going to do something about it, but obviously they haven't.

It is Pacific time that drives all the Ebay does since their main offices are on the west coast.  So the OP has a legitimate complaint.  And I believe they understand completely what is going on.

I'm on the West coast too, so I never have to deal with this.  But those that are in other time zones that are ahead of us will always experience this problem.

Currently there is no way around it.  So unfortunately the OP has to continue to deal with this and on occasion provide same day shipping.

So if someone in Oregon purchases an item from a seller in New York at 9:15 PM PST and paid right away at 9:16 PM the seller in New York gets the payment at 12:16AM.

It is PST that drives all transactions on Ebay.  The buyer bought & paid for it on a Monday per PST.  The seller received the order & payment on Tuesday due to the time difference, but they must ship same day to meet the requirement of 1 day handling time.

However, I don't know how significant of a problem this is for sellers in different time zones. But I would imagine that it does cause problems from time to time.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Wed Jul 13 20:34:08 2016

I really think the confusion being made here is not understanding the difference between handling time and shipping time. To be TRS+ a one day handling time is packing and uploading tracking from the time the buyer pays. Shipping could be the next business day. I have never had any problems and if I could not do the shipping the same day, the label would always be printed with the shipping showing the next day's date. My dashboard has always had 100% tracking uploaded and packages have always arrived on time.

By the way Tool I have been selling on eBay since 2002 and was TRS+ since it was implemented. Due to eBay playing peek-a-boo games with my listings over the years, my sales became fewer and fewer to where I'm currently above standard. If you READ what I posted you would have known I was on the east cost being EST with 3 hours ahead from PT and no need to be RUDE and mime back with your

''12-3 am EASTERN TIME = 9 pm - 12 am PACIFIC TIME

Talk about COMPREHENSION

You need to RE-READ yourself & the OP''

by: nordicgal This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 14 00:41:11 2016

I agree with the OP and I completely understand the problem.  I know of no fix for this problem.  I am in CST so I would routinely stay up well past 2:00 AM my time when someone on the West Coast would buy something at 1:55 AM my time so I could get it in the next day mail pick up. In fact, I did this anyway just in case this happened. This basically dictated my whole life schedule and made me a second shift person (if I wanted to retain my TRS seller status).  Now my sales are so few that the likelihood of anyone buying anything, much less late at night is minimal enough for me not to care that much.  I would hope that the 10% factor would hold me up. I once asked an eBay CS agent if this would ever change and he was oblivious to what I was talking about.  I'm not sure if that was real or feigned but the powers that be are well aware of the problem.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 14 00:51:35 2016

A sale completed at 10pm Pacific time on Monday, is a Monday sale to eBay, no matter what time zone the seller is in.  So to meet TRS+ requirements, tracking must be uploaded no later than 11:59:59 PM Pacific time Tuesday.

Regardless of when the package is actually sent, if it gets a scan at some point, and the buyer does not mark it late when leaving FB, all TRS+ requirements will have been met.

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Thu Jul 14 01:33:35 2016

Not so fast! The OP is correct. The time window for East Coast sellers to package and ship is three hours shorter than on the West Coast. Having three extra hours to post tracking numbers is irrelevant if the post office has already closed for the day.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 14 01:38:58 2016

>>This sometimes only gives me minutes to try and package, etc. to get to the post office for their next day shipping rules.  <<

I guess I'm missing what is the problem unless your mail pick up is way early in the morning or you have to go out to a real job thus giving you only 'minutes' to get your orders out. I'm in PA and while I no longer sell on ebay, every order I've had in 14+ years has gone out within 24 hours or less. I usd to get many orders throughout the night and I would get up in the morning and package everything that had sold and had it out to the mailbox by 11AM to be sure it was picked up on time (otherwise I would have to drive it into the PO.) Only once I didn't do this when we had a blizzard and there was a drift almost up to my waist in front of the door and as I walk with a cane I decided my safety was paramount. Wrote the customer and she was fine with it. Any time from the time you wake up until your PO closes would count as next day. I guess that is why I'm having trouble understanding why orders in those three hours are a problem.

by: Lightning This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 14 01:47:20 2016

There is no difference between ''handling time'' and ''shipping time''.  When you have 1 day handling, you have to have the tracking info uploaded to ebay and SCANNED by a carrier by midnight the next business day.  That's the definition of ''on time''.  The only way you can upload one day and ship the next is if you upload the day the order came in and ship the next day.  If you are sleeping while the order is coming in (12:01AM EST to 2:59AM EST), that is hard to do.

The OP has a legitimate gripe.  If a West Coast buyer purchases an item from an East Coast seller on Monday at 9:15PM PST (using Marie's example), Ebay counts the sale as happening on Monday, even though the seller got paid on Tuesday early AM their time.  The East Coast seller wakes up to find the sale there, and dated yesterday.  They have only until Midnight THAT DAY to get it uploaded and scanned.  It feels like same day shipping because that IS what it becomes.  If you have a postman who shows up early in the day, that's a problem.  If you can't get it ready before he comes, now you have to hump it to the post office by 5PM, and make sure it gets a scan.  Maybe you had no plan to go out Tuesday, but ebay just changed that plan.  Or you had a morning appointment and couldn't get that package ready - too bad.  You can always take the hit by holding it until Wednesday.  That's why ebay lets you miss up to 10% of your eligible transactions and still meet the tracking requirement (over 90% validated).  But it doesn't feel comfortable knowing you missed the deadline.  I'm lucky - my carrier comes at 4PM.

It would be good if ebay moved the cutoff forward a bit, but again, they will just refer to the 90% thing.  And how far forward should they move it?  If they say 9PM PST instead of Midnight, someone ordering at 8PM PST is still coming in too late for a seller on the East Coast to react.  And they will have that same situation the next morning.  All of this is to compete with Amazon, who seems to have your item delivered before you order it.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Jul 14 02:16:31 2016

I'm on the West Coast and *usually* get items out in 24 hours, but often it may be 48 hrs. My letter carrier comes late in the afternoon and there is no scan until evening. I've never had any issues with my TRS status. I just checked my account...''late shipment rate:'' zero.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Thu Jul 14 02:17:42 2016

@Paul W
Completely agree. The OP is placing undo stress on him or her self by trying to ship out the same day instead of only doing packing, printing label and uploading tracking by 11:59:59pm pt. It sounds like they have a day job where shipping can only be done in the morning. The only problem is eBay not always acknowledging extended weekends and holidays. Sellers know they can never depend on eBay doing the right thing when it pertains to sellers.

Getting the 20% TRS discount was the only incentive where I was willing to do any carrot & hoop jumping. However, with eBay's seller stifling program resulting in fewer sales, I believe more sellers will come to the realization eBay is just not worth our time or any time of day.

by: yesterdaygirls This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 14 02:23:16 2016

but wait...there's more...i'm pretty sure that you actually have an extra 12 hours on day 2 to send an order (if you have one day shipping).  this is not to the specific question regarding time zones...but i believe and have tested that if i receive an order before monday midnight i have to generate a label by tuesday midnight but actually have until wednesday at noon to receive a scan.  If you have few defects..try this on an order to verify.