Wed July 6 2016 13:54:11

eBay Inventory Management Comes Up Short

By: Reader

Where's the inventory management? eBay constantly moves sold items to my unsold folder, which I often resell. Very hard to relist items. I must search around for each item, before I relist it. Using the bulk listing relister has become a nightmare.

I've talked to eBay a number of times over the last 2 1/2 years & the problem continues. I've gone from an Above Standard Seller rating to Below Standard. The inventory program didn't work for me, too many listing I guess. I feel I'm getting screwed.

Anybody else have same nightmare or solution?
Thanks,
Roy

eBay Inventory Management Comes Up Short   eBay Inventory Management Comes Up Short

by: ncwood This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 6 14:15:07 2016

Easy, never rely on eBay to handle any critical part of your business. I have used a third-party tool for over 12 years and never a glitch.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 6 15:04:51 2016

I agree with ncwood.

Ebay doesn't care about you.

Third party tools are great.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 7 02:46:19 2016

I'm unsure of how your problem with the inventory moving from sold to the unsold folder is causing you to lose or decrease your status with Ebay.  If you have known this problem exists on your account for over 2 1/2 years, one would think you would put a procedure in place to prevent missing a sale and shipping on time.

Just because Ebay is ignoring or can't figure out how to fix your problem doesn't mean you just ignore and don't try to mitigate your circumstances.

I don't depend on the "sold" list on Ebay.  I verify my sales via the email I receive from Ebay notifying me of the sale and then the PP payment for the same item.  I've been doing this for all the years I've sold on Ebay and I've never missed a sale yet.  It has been rare for the Ebay email not to come in, but if it didn't the PP payment notification was a clear clue I had a sale.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Jul 7 04:08:22 2016

Marie, my reading is that he getting into trouble because people are buying stuff that he does not have because, he says, eBay has moved "sold" stuff back into his "unsold" category ...

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 7 08:02:37 2016

I have to agree with Philip Cohen's interpretation, Marie.  And I've been there, had that issue.

I try to keep on top of it so there are no "relisted" items that previously sold.  We're doing a manual inventory right now because of that issue and others.

BUT  I'm only an ASS at the moment becuase this happened 5 times in the last 15 months.  and ebay has no forgiveness for it even when they DO it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Jul 7 11:07:01 2016

That this material problem exists says it all about eBay's clunky database-programming abilities, and what is eBay, other than a large database?

eBay is apparently too busy trying to steal pennies from users to bother fixing such material programming errors ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the unscrupulous, the malevolent, the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid. ...

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu Jul 7 12:25:57 2016

I've seen this before.  It sometimes happens when you list multiple copies together and not all of them sell.  When you go to relist, sometimes it relists the original quantity instead of the remainder.  You really have to watch, not only for that but anything else eBay decides to reset (Best Offer and shipping options in my experience).

That said, nothing substitutes for your own inventory tracker, whether it's a program like mine or just a spreadsheet.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 7 12:54:30 2016

@Phil

Moving inventory from sold to unsold does not repost the listing on Ebay as an active listing.  Sold & Unsold are just section on everyone's My Ebay and/or Selling manager.

I'm not sure your take on what he stated is correct.  He does state because Ebay moves his listings between sold and unsold he has a difficult time locating the listing he wants so he can relist it.

As you did, I just went off what he stated and I interpreted it differently than you did.

@rktoys

If you have a listing close because it is sold out and you go to relist it because you have more inventory to sell, the listing will come up as the original quantity you had when you originally created the listing.  That isn't a flaw or glitch, that is by design.  It just has always been that way.

*************************

What Roy is concerned with on Ebay has never been meant as an inventory tracking system.  And I'm with RKTOYS, we all need to track our own inventory.  Even if Ebay did track it, I wouldn't trust it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Thu Jul 7 16:28:41 2016

I have had this problem a time or two - just that I was losing my mind until seeing this.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Fri Jul 8 01:01:40 2016

All of us old timers on eBay know that you do not use eBay as your inventory manager. I learned this a long time ago since I had a situation happen to me once where I had multiple items and I went to relist it and eBay did the original quantity. It only had to happen once for me to use an outsourced program to list and keep track of inventory. Back then I was also selling on multiple platforms and the added cost meant nothing since I was only selling part-time and doing 10K or more in sales a month.
I can understand how newer sellers need to conserve costs since the sales for most people on line are very minimal.
That makes it all the more reason to track your inventory but also some people are very lazy so they lose track of everything. That is how you get in trouble and how the business does not last long.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 11 10:47:27 2016

I often see that ebay reduces the inventory on slow sellers to the point where they eventually fall off and are no longer for sale nor an email sent to warn me. I would not use ebay as a way to manage inventory.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jul 11 12:52:14 2016

@barbbie

Can you give more specific examples.  As far as I know Ebay does not have an inventory control program nor do they do anything with a sellers quantities unless it is a glitch of some sort.  What do you mean by "Ebay reduces the inventory on slow sellers"?

If that is true there are many good sellers out there that have had reduced sales over the past couple years do to issues on and/or with Ebay that need to look out for this.  I hope you will come back and give us more details as this is an important thing to know about.