Tue June 28 2016 19:29:49

FedEx Won't Support Shipments through eBay, Seller Says

By: Reader

I love reading your website and the tips are always great, thank you very much. With a few other sellers we are having a big issue with filing FedEx claims online.

When we print a FedEx label on eBay, and the package arrives damaged - We go to fedex.com to file a claim, when we start the process and enter the tracking number, FedEx  gives a message that we are not the original shipper, and grays out all the information, therefore we are not able to file for any claims.

When we called eBay they totally ignored the issue and referred us to FedEx, we called FedEx and they said eBay is the original account holder therefore they need to file for claims, the shipping service was ground or home delivery.

I am wondering if you received a lot of complaints.
Thanks,
M.

FedEx Won't Support Shipments through eBay, Seller   FedEx Won't Support Shipments through eBay, Seller

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Jun 28 22:45:26 2016

Sounds like FedEx's customer service is now down on the same low level as eBay's; maybe the eBay "pass-the-parcel" disease is catching ...

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 29 03:52:02 2016

I case of a dispute, eBay has always got your back. The trouble is that eBay is holding a knife.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jun 29 06:56:38 2016

This sounds exactly like PayPal stating that it is an eBay problem and eBay stating that it is a PayPal problem.

Once a company starts trying to run from their responsibility it is time to find another company.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Jun 29 10:52:34 2016

@M (OP) - Depending on how many items are arriving damaged, and what your profit on said items is, you might want to consider a different shipper. If you do change shippers, you should contact an account manager (if you have one) or the highest person on the "food chain" that you can speak with and tell them you won't be using them again and why. Maybe if enough people complain they'll change their policies.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Jun 29 14:36:45 2016

If eBay's GSP or some other eBay service is involved, from which eBay undoubtedly gets a cut, then eBay possibly is "the sender" and eBay should facilitate the claims work, or at least pass it on to FedEx on behalf of the merchant—just don't hold your breath waiting, after all, some additional programming would be involved or, heaven forbid, some additional human resources ...

by: Postthoughts This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 30 00:53:18 2016

This problem was discussed on the ebay boards way back when ebay first started letting sellers print labels for Fedex directly through ebay.

Federal Express will only settle claims with the person/company that purchased the label.  When you use ebay to print your labels, ebay is listed as the buyer of that label,  not the seller.  You would think ebay would tell you that little tidbit of information.  Just another reason why you can't trust ebay.

NEVER use ebay for Fedex labels.  Open your own account and print your own labels directly through Fedex. It is the only way you can settle a claim if your package is damaged.  I don't print any labels through ebay, not even my USPS labels.

by: skl3255 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 30 01:40:30 2016

I do ship through Fedex on Ebay but I buy 3rd party insurance because I don't trust any of the carriers to process damage or lost claims quickly.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Jun 30 02:05:41 2016

FedEx/eBay horror stories are all over the web (especially with SmartPost labels). I use ShipSaver through eBay and completely bypass both eBay and FedEx.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu Jun 30 05:56:10 2016

FedEx is a joke even before eDerp gets involved.  Typical underperforming blame-shifting American corporation.  Definitely second the notion about getting your own shipping account though.

This user has validated their user name. by: TraderBoo

Thu Jun 30 09:08:45 2016

So don't use FedEX on ebay use their own website for shipping. I use UPS,and find that they always honored my insurance claims.

by: lindysthings This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 30 09:14:42 2016

I am not familiar with Fed-Ex, but I believe they operate similar to UPS. Just set up an independent account with them thru one of their reps. They will review your frequency of shipping and give you a discount based on that. I don't make labels of any kind thru Ebay or Paypal. I get a nice discount, and never have to worry about  label printing being down thru Ebay, or the claims issue you mentioned.

It will be one less headache when EBay labels are down.

by: woeisme This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 30 09:34:03 2016

Maybe FedEx is sick of all the fraudulent claims from ebay buyers. Sort of like all the fake SNAD claims.

by: rfmtm This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 30 09:39:23 2016

eBay has never had any official protocol to handle FedEx issues, and often has rate quote issue.

If you are going to ship FedEx, you really want to have your own account and not have eBay in the middle as the shipper of record.  Open a free FedEx account, then link that number to eBay for the discounts, but always get your quotes and print labels from the FedEx site.

If you are going to be a regular FedEx user, consider the free Ship Rush for FedEx app, which will import directly from eBay/PayPal and offers more options than either eBay or the FedEx site does.

Remember FedEx has additional charges for residential, rural delivery, etc., but these are all detailed out in your quote if you input all the correct data.

To link your FedEx account:

Go to the link below and click on Get Started towards the bottom.  It will ask for you to log in with your eBay ID and then if you want to use an existing FedEx account number.

html

Note
for eBay discounts to show up, make sure you receive the confirmation email, and then it can take up to ten days to update your FedEx account rate tables.

by: IndyTom This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 30 10:46:45 2016

Get your own FedEx account and quit whining.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 30 11:48:31 2016

I do not understand why sellers use ebay for their shipping. I wouldn't trust them even for USPS labels. the easiest way to not have FEDEX deny your claims is to buy your postage from them and not from ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Jun 30 20:09:10 2016

If you elect to use SmartPost (and I do) then you can't make labels from the FedEx web site or use your own personal account. SmartPost offers incredibly low rates and is ideal for heavy packages going long distances. For those who have negative views of SmartPost, I look at it this way: if it is good enough for Neiman Marcus it's good enough for me. Haven't had any issues to date.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 30 22:03:03 2016

As far as I know, UPS and FedEx have ''ALWAYS'' required the shipper to file insurance claims. Ebay or otherwise.

I found this out the hard way - receiving an empty box shipped UPS. Seller refused to reimburse me and refused to file an insurance claim. I finally called UPS and begged and cried and they actually helped me and I was at last reimbursed.

YEARS ago I had both UPS and FedEx accounts.  This is one reason I gave both of them up. I read the (very) fine print on the backs of the waybill labels about insurance coverage and claim requirements and went strictly to USPS.

The recipient to take pictures of the damaged packages/items, and hope the seller is kind enough to work with them.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 30 22:08:42 2016

I detest SmartPost. My PO Box is a different Zip Code than my residence (where I do not receive mail, because we have had all kinds of trouble with carriers leaving packages in insecure places when we are not home).

I would not mind it, if shippers would TELL ME they are intending to use SmartPost because then I just use the PO Street address and my box becomes a ''unit'' there. But usually shippers do not think of doing this.

If they don't and the SmartPost package is delivered to the PO serving my residence (where there is NO mail delivery) it is one huge mess.

The very first experience I had with ''Smart'' post was a perishable shipment that was DESTROYED sitting in the wrong post office, over a long weekend.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Fri Jul 1 02:43:16 2016

@timeaftertime

I'm a bit confused by your post. I assume you have *one* mailing address for parcels. Can you elaborate on your particular issue?

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Jul 3 20:38:32 2016

I am wondering if this lack of support has any connection to eBay's valet drop-off service where customers can drop off their items at various Fedex stores to go to eBay's Valet. Just guessing, but FedEx probably took a look at all the fragiles, electronics and such and made this decision and/or FedEx got hit with paying out on too many claims.