Mon June 27 2016 13:40:17

Big Sellers Allowed to Get Around eBay Photo Policy?

By: Reader

I guess you have to be a power seller to get around eBay's "Photo Required" rule. I've noticed recently that certain sellers (and it's always the same ones) in the book section either have no photos or have a neat little rectangle with the seller's company name in it rather than a product image. (These same companies are mega penny listers on Amazon where they do the same thing.)

Now, even when I try to use a stock image to save time, I'm reminded to insert my own photo and if the photo doesn't "measure up" by pixels, I'm warned that my photo doesn't meet the eBay requirements.
Mary

Big Sellers Allowed to Get Around eBay Photo Polic   Big Sellers Allowed to Get Around eBay Photo Polic

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 27 14:39:50 2016

Contact an attorney
Complaining to ebay is useless this company and it's pacific island customer service and upper management barricaded in the bonus check counting room is of no use to sellers who are not diamonds. Ebay has gotten worse, you might as well run head first into a concrete wall.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 27 19:14:06 2016

it's not only book sellers, it's many categories, fragrance.net  doesn't post half of the pictures

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Tue Jun 28 00:40:27 2016

I've purchased hardcover books on eBay that probably net <$0.50. If pics were required, I would never get this good a deal.

by: printersmithcom2 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 28 01:04:45 2016

This happens when you use a 3rd party listing tool like Art of Books to post your inventory on Ebay.  The lack of a picture is an Ebay issue, they are terrible at managing their catalog.  We stopped posting on Ebay with these sytems because around 20% were missing photos and it made our store look awful.  You can use these bulk listing tools against any product in the Catalog.  If ebay doesn't have one but he seller adds one, then that photo will appear on their listing.  But if Ebay doesn't have one, it will just show something generic.  Its stupid, but this is strictly an Ebay problem.

WE find it impossible to create any new listings using any method without a photo.  And we are quite large sellers :-)

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 28 06:54:47 2016

We have a friend who just takes a picture of a piece of paper with the words " Picture coming ".

They use this to post on auctions all the time.

Its an Dumb Ebay Bot problem. Nothing illegal about it as it is a picture. They have been doing this for years. They are not a large seller or a carrot jumper.

For them it works and they do sell a lot. As for me I just use the back button as I have better things to do than fret over a seller who doesn't post a picture of anything.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jun 28 07:02:16 2016

Big sellers (and the Chinese) aren't held accountable for breaking the rules. As a reward they get top exposure in search.

It's the eBay way.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jun 29 14:34:29 2016

@Mary

Judging from what you wrote, I take it you have been a seller on Ebay a long time.  I say that because you still think being a Power Seller has any meaning or can denote the size of a seller.

To be PS on Ebay you only need 100 transactions and a minimum of $3,000 in sales.  So lots of small sellers can qualify for PS that couldn't in years past.

Really PS means next to nothing anymore.  There are no real benefits to the program.  I think Ebay keeps it around only because some think is still has meaning.

As for the pics.  I've seen it on large and small sellers.  I've been kind of wondering about how this is continuing to happen myself.  But I have no answers.

A seller that does this isn't doing themselves any favors.  Buyers want pics.  While certainly some buyers will take the risk and purchases, others will not.  So I say, let them get away with it, maybe that will drive more buyers to my listings that do have pics.

This is something I just don't choose to worry about as I think the seller is just hurting themselves by doing no pics.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 29 21:52:17 2016

@rexxford, i'm not a fan of chinese sellers, but this isn't one of their frequent violations, generally they post a bunch of pics.

This user has validated their user name. by: The German Plague

Thu Jul 14 07:12:39 2016

OK folks, here I am again. It's from Germany, it's the ''experience ebay'' and it's just foul. You know it...

Let's see how ebay follows their own rules if You report one of the Big-Ones.

In Germany it's not allowed to list items without a pucture. It's not allowed to list items with a picture saying ''picture not yet available''. It's not allowed to list items with a picture showing additional text or graphics.

I don't know the US rules exactly but does that sound somehow familiar?

I am reporting a seller for months now due to about 20% of ''No Pic availiable'' images. Just count yourself. (Sort order ''by date'' please)

Nothing happens.

I can confirm ebay does not follow their own rules with big sellers!

On the other side ebay killed items from a ''small'' seller because they contained some ''graphics''. (a thin rounded border around the picture) The problem is that the seller got the pics from the manufacturer to use them ''as is'' years ago. And he neither has the right to use own photos (because the manufacturer wants his products being presented in this special manner) nor is allowed to change the pictures due to copyright.

So now I come to the hint ''ebay refugee camp'' gave in #2. ''Contact an attorney''.

Very bad idea. The seller explained ebay several times why the pictures can't be changed. After ebay kept on kiling listings he contacted an attorney.

ebay's answer was a registered letter (yes, written on paper, put into an envelope, sent by snail mail from Luxembourg, signed by Michael Verlaq himself) that they terminate the contract on behalf of §4 No 4 ebay policy and that he is no longer allowed to use ebay's ''services'' (whatever ''service'' means to ebay) with any account.

That's the way ebay treats a 100% feedback TRS with a defect rate of 0%, delayed shipping of zero, registered since 2002.

Sorry, camp. Contacting an attorney is a very bad idea because ebay can terminate the contract at any time. And they will do so. They also will interprete their rules just the way they want. Compare the TOS to chewing gum, rubber or any other soft, stretchy material You like. It will fit the thing.

Best proof that ebay gives big asses extra wipes is the german toysRus. Just take a look on this profile:
rid=toysrusde

there's an icon for ''identity verified''. Clicking on it gives you a german site saying that this status was given by ebay until 2012. Correct. On Aug. 2nd 2012 the function was erased in the CS tools. No way to get it back after you lost it.

A second look on the profile shows that the account toysrusde was registered in 2014.

So the question ist: How can this seller have the icon for ''identity verified''? When he registered his account the verification has been finished for about two years.

Anybody still any doubt ebay only is fuxxing up small sellers and uses different policies to the big ones?

''All animals are equal...''

And of course they do not bother the Chinks. These are allowed to flood ebay (instead of alibaba ;) ) with multiple accounts listing identical items using images with graphic elements and not even having legal declarations in their offers. (Ok, last point also matches with US sellers... ;) )

BTW: Ina, I hope it's allowed to name the accounts here. They are business sellers and if ebay wants to kick you please let me know. Then I'll kick them back myself. I'm quite used in kicking ebay somewhere it hurts them.