Fri June 24 2016 09:02:29

eBay Removes an Advanced Search Feature?

By: Reader

Is it just me or have you noticed that it is no longer possible to exclude items from an eBay search by using a (-) minus sign?

I've had that issue for a couple of weeks now and in some categories, it's nearly impossible to get manageable search results without being able to exclude words.
All the best,
Judith

eBay Removes an Advanced Search Feature?   eBay Removes an Advanced Search Feature?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jun 24 10:06:58 2016

They can't have you finding what you are actually looking for.  It's much more important to them to push something that you don't want.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jun 24 10:32:18 2016

I just did a search for: drill bar

2244 results

Then I searched for: drill bar -(extension)

793 results

It still works for me, I wonder why it doesn't work for you?

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Jun 24 14:07:41 2016

Rexford writes: "If something on eBay makes your life easier, believe me, they will take it away."

That was the best laugh I've had all week. Which is sad because it's 100% true.

I just tried the "-" and got wacko results. I collect a vintage doll called Sasha, but there's also a modern Bratz doll with the name of Sasha. So I did a search for 'Sasha doll -Bratz' and got 586 results. I then did a search for 'Sasha doll' and got 209 results. Huh?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jun 24 14:36:13 2016

I just searched for : Sasha Doll

991 results

A search for: Sasha Doll -(bratz)

597 results

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Fri Jun 24 16:48:17 2016

@ toolguy.... There is a very good reason why your results differ from others.

eBay frequently tests possible future site changes with a randomly selected subset of users.  They do this without any notice to those effected.

In other words, just because you are not experiencing a particular issue does not mean that untold numbers of users have been opted in to an unannounced test without their consent.

The bigger problem is that these unannounced stealth mode tests negatively impact the user experience for those who were silently turned into unwitting lab rats.

This alienates buyers, hurts sellers and the trickle down of negativity to eBay's bottom line is impossible to ignore.

It has been said before and is worth repeating..... The biggest handicap to seller success is eBay itself.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Jun 24 17:10:48 2016

Let's face it, Toolguy must live in one of eBay's privileged geographic areas (China?); he almost never has a problem with eBay ...

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jun 24 20:36:17 2016

Ric, we all have to remember that if an issue doesn't affect Toolguy then the issue doesn't exist.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 25 00:16:49 2016

My results:

Sasha Doll
215 listings

Sasha Doll-(bratz)
295 listings

Huh?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Jun 25 02:06:51 2016

When searching remember to check that ALL CATEGORIES is selected in the search box.

eBay choose dolls on one of my searches giving a false low number.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 25 14:41:04 2016

I selected All Categories.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sun Jun 26 09:27:03 2016

App (2.6.1.2):
"sasha doll" 1004
"sasha doll -bratz" 600
Mobile: 214 to 600
Desktop: 214 to 600

Can't say the discrepancy surprises me.  Look, eBay, suicide isn't that hard.  Most people get it right on the second tey, if not the first.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Jun 26 09:45:00 2016

@ RKTOYS

I got 1004 for Sasha Doll & 600 for Sasha Doll -(bratz)

The 214 is in the category "Sasha"

I'm getting the same results!

by: SparklyEyes7 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 28 00:51:15 2016

Sasha doll 222
Sasha doll -bratz 607

but even they i searched all categories, it flipped to sasha

when i made sure all-

Sasha=1005
sasha-bratz 606

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Tue Jun 28 01:04:40 2016

I get the exact same results as @SparklyEyes7. What's going on???

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 28 02:14:14 2016

Quilt Antique: 4,328
Quilt  Antique Top: 604

So there are, in theory, 604 listings for Antique Quilt Tops. But wait! I don't want to see ''tops'' but whole quilts, so ...

Antique Quilt -Top

which *should* show (4,328 - 604) results, right? So why do I get 5,943?

Better yet, I click the Search button and get 5,945. Click it again and it's 5,943. Again and it's 5,945. And so on.

This has been happening for me for YEARS!

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Tue Jun 28 02:32:43 2016

It has been happening to me for YEARS as well. I now recall phoning eBay over this issue sometime last year. All they could offer was "Cassini."

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 28 08:14:18 2016

Sasha doll = 221
Sasha doll -bratz = 606

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 28 08:18:50 2016

tool guy will never agree with any problem identified on Ebay. I just did a search in all items for Sasha doll and got 297. I then did a search for Sasha doll -Bratz in all categories and got 606 which is more than just Sasha doll so common sense would suggest that the same search minus something would be LESS. THEN computer illiterate tool guy says it's because of what category was used for the search. Even if I was doing a search in just dolls for both searches the same premise should hold true. I think tool guy should stick to tools and forget about giving any other advice. He reminds me of a guy I know. If I say something is black, he says it's white, no matter what the truth is. Probably if we were all out there spouting positive spins on Ebay, tool guy would be disagreeing with us.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 28 08:22:51 2016

Sasha doll 221
Sasha doll -Bratz 606

Both of those were run in all categories

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 28 08:27:18 2016

Actually I see what tool guy is saying.  Underneath the search box ebay changes the category to sasha. Change that sneaky change back to all categories and you get 1006 and 297.  Most people searching wouldn't notice it's changed....