Mon June 20 2016 09:59:28

eBay Seller Details Some Challenges of the New Listing Tool

By: Reader

A few weeks ago I received the new "easy to use" listing tool from eBay. It didn't take more than one listing attempt for me to figure out it's a terrible tool.

First of all, after putting in the item to be classified in category, it would buffer for a long period of time. After that, things got worse.

Everything in the tool had to be input from scratch. For instance, when listing as similar in a current listing, only changes from the item you are copying need to be re-input. Also, previously when using the Sell button on the top of the My eBay page, certain items were automatically populated, i.e. 30 day to ship, charge a % restocking fee, etc.

The new listing feature has to have all that information put in AGAIN. It's a lot of work and leaves room for error when listing. I listed a few items in the latest eBay promotion that offered a 25% discount on final value fees with 30 day return, etc. but I failed to put that in and I lost out on the discount after the item sold. Worse, I copied that ad to do similar in order to try to circumvent the new sell feature and those ended up without the minimum criteria for TRS.

The new listing feature automatically has auction as the default and when changing to Fixed price, the 7 day auction period stays in. After changing the fixed price duration to GTC, it reverts back to the original 7 days and that has to be changed again so I had to look at the duration to ensure it picked up the new duration.

Did eBay even think about this when they developed this new "improved" one page listing feature? I don't think they did any actual user research during the development.

The worse part about the whole thing is that I had to call customer service to opt out. It took about 1/2 hour to get through that process. Then yesterday I was again automatically opted into the new listing feature I do not want. I had to call Customer Service again and have it removed. I asked if there is a way to get rid of it myself and the CR said no. She said she removed the feature for good but I don't know if that's the case or not - only time will tell.

How does everyone else feel about this feature and how hard was it for them to opt out?
GotToGetOut

eBay Seller Details Some Challenges of the New Lis   eBay Seller Details Some Challenges of the New Lis

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 20 11:03:12 2016

First, on a general note, I've learned to pick my battles when it comes to eBay, and ''opting out'' of a change that's going to become permanent soon enough anyway is simply postponing the inevitable.

More to the point, you're usually not in the position of declining a Beta and hoping that the permanent update will have the bugs worked out. What you're dumped into now is probably going to be the finished item as well, barring some calamity, so you might as well give yourself as much time as possible to figure out how to deal with it, starting now.

In the case you're describing here, I would suggest trying a different browser to see if you get better performance there. eBay's form programming is not very good (to put it mildly), and the trick is often to figure out which browser the developer used for his testing, and use that one yourself. I have seen no evidence that there's any peer review in their development process, let alone any QA testing to find platform-specific or browser-specific bugs, so if you want to get things done with the software they're dropping on you, you may need to make some adjustments on your end. Unfair, but necessary.

In the case of the Sell Your Item form in particular, I found that Internet Explorer was largely hopeless in dealing with it, especially for popup forms or subwindows. I tried using Chrome instead, and the difference (on my older Windows boxes) was Night and Day: the SYI form ran almost error-free, suggesting (in my non-expert opinion) that the developer was a Chrome fan, so I've stuck with that browser for my eBay listings.

I said ''almost'' error-free: oddly, I still cannot get the form to accept a change to package dimensions. Everything else seems to work for me. I decided that I could live with that limitation for now; it's not a showstopper for me, and as I said, when it comes to eBay, you learn to pick your battles.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Jun 20 11:25:13 2016

I'm getting both the new and old forms when I relist.

I see advantages to both.

The new page allows all changes to be made on that one page.

I'll get used to it. . .

by: sellerchick This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 20 11:36:06 2016

I like how it tricks you into using a large photo in the gallery for .35. I listed something and couldn't figure out why I had a mysterious .35 charge in spite of having an anchor store subscription. I listed another item, and finally figured out what it was by CLICKING the blue fee amount. It was a challenge to locate it on the form, because it's buried. You need to click on vague additional option links until you can open access to the box and UNCHECK it. What really sucked is I went back to the item I created that mistakenly had the fee and I didn't get a refund. The listing was only 10 minutes old. Thanks Feebay!!

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 20 12:56:34 2016

We have been using the new tool over 5 different stores and have had no problems with it at all.

This over a total of about 1500 listings.

We do use Firefox and a desk top computer with windows 7.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Jun 20 19:19:33 2016

Browsers: I'm an old dog and don't like being made to learn new tricks; and I stuck with Internet Explorer for a long time; then I updated to Windows 10; clearly, MS have done little to improve IE in some time and Windows 10 literally "broke" IE: slow, constant crashes, you name it, it was clunky; anyway, I finally switched to Chrome, as my sone had been prodding me to do for a long time ... "Oh, what a feeling"—of relief ...

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jun 21 03:11:29 2016

Phil

I did the same darn thing a couple years ago.  I was comfortable with IE and I had no desire to change, but it just became a must due to isses with Ebay.  I switched to Chrome too and have far fewer issues.  It takes some getting use to but it was something I had to do.

********************

With this listing tool.  I'm not a big fan of it but I continue to use it as I know I don't really have a choice.  I think the OP just hasn't gotten use to it.  Some of the things they complain about were some of the same problems I had original.  Then as I used it more I found out that many of my problems were self inflicted.  I just didn't understand the correct way to use the form.  I thought a lot of my info was missing on variation listings, but it wasn't.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Jun 21 11:59:49 2016

@Marie, I had Windows 10 crashing IE, and IE crashing Windows 10; since changing to Chrome I have had not one crash in either Chrome or Windows 10. You really have to wonder what Microsoft is doing (are they being managed by a bunch of headless turkeys like those at eBay?); and now they are buying LinkedIn for $28 billion!—LOL ...

The one thing that I do seriously miss from IE is their colouring of tab groups ...

by: yesterdaygirls This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 22 01:01:33 2016

ebay months ago started optimizing the entire site for use with chrome

by: funkygrrl This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 22 07:03:50 2016

I've had no problems with it either.  In the beginning, I sent them feedback about a couple things and actually got replies by email from the developers there. So use the feedback link, they do read it on betas.

I use Firefox on my desktop and Chrome on my phone.  Do NOT ever use Internet Explorer.  Developers hate it because Microsoft does not follow the worldwide web consortium guidlines/protocols for coding websites, and as a result, a lot of devs don't test on IE at all.

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 22 08:04:39 2016

The new listing form does not allow for the templates I have been using for years. These templates were set up to cover 80% of my listings. For me, this has slowed down the entire process of listing.

by: edwatt This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 22 09:30:53 2016

If you have listings with multiple variations, the ''improved'' listing tool does not allow you to add a new variation to an existing listing, like the same style in a new color.
I gave it a month thinking ebay would fix it themselves.  I finally called and CS agreed it was currently impossible to add new variations under their ''improved'' system.  They switched me back to the old clunky method and it works fine again.
Obviously little testing is done before releasing these ''upgrades''.

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 22 10:01:08 2016

I'm not having these problems.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 22 10:13:58 2016

New listing tool?
News to me....

I just make sure I have all the options in my seller Account chosen to get TRS status, and opt out of Global Shipping, and then simply click on the Dropdown for ''More Actions'' in one of my listings to

''SELL SIMILAR''!!!!!!!!!!!

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 22 10:18:47 2016

I have done this ''Sell Similar'' for years. I got the design I wanted, the inclusions I wanted, etc., and totally avoid new listing tools.

I do have a couple of my old listings stored as ''templates'' in ebay's ''Sell Your Item'' but these pop up exactly the same as I had prepared them before and don't require the use of any ''new'' tools.

Start a new listing brand new from scratch? No way, too many of my own things I want to include.

I gave up on IE a LOOOOONG time ago when a new version started messing up my Bookmarks.  Went to Firefox and like it; my backup there is Chrome.

by: minnie This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 22 11:08:43 2016

When IE started going bonkers several months ago, I switched to Chrome.  It took some getting used to, but it doesn't go wonky on me unless I am on Facebook.

I have been using the more advanced SYI form since ebay stopped supporting Blackthorne Pro, using SELL SIMILAR for new items.  Works just fine.

I don't find that many differences between the ''old'' SYI and this SYI form.  I do like the new photo import method.  It's a lot faster.  Had to get used to dragging the photos instead of using the >> and << .  No biggie.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 22 12:13:12 2016

@minnie:

> Had to get used to dragging the photos
> instead of using the >> and << .  No biggie.

A couple of thoughts based on my own messing around with that portion of the new form:

1) That dragging-around-the-images feature appears to have been debugged since its first appearance. It used to take forever for the window to ''grab'' the image to be moved, or to push the others aside, or to land the image in the desired spot, to the point where every movement would require about three attempts to get it right. Now all of a sudden its performance has been near-flawless for me, as of maybe 2-3 weeks ago, so it appears that someone may have done a code update there.

2) I liked that I could upload multiple images at once from my computer, but it had an annoying tendency to plant the last image first, then stack all the others following it, so the upload speed savings were negated by having to manually intervene and reorder things afterward. I finally discovered (somehow) that if I selected the images for uploading in reverse order (e.g. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1, instead of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6), they would all upload in correct order. I don't know why, but it works.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 22 12:30:06 2016

I have not encountered the dragging photos... My listings (using ''sell similar'' that has carried through generations of auction sales) are all coming through using the ''Choose photo'' option that goes into the directory on my hard drive, so that I can click on up to 12 to upload all in one fell swoop, not having to  individually drag any of them ... (Maybe it's possible to drag a group, but I have not run into having to do any dragging)

It is easy for me to see which ones I want to upload, click ALL up to 12, let the system do its thing and then when it goes back to the listing draft, it only takes a couple of seconds to rearrange them if I want. Of course others may prefer the dragging.

For myself, dragging them one at a time one after the other is more complicated and it's much more likely I will mix up the photos and include a wrong one or two I will have to fix. I would rather upload a group all at once.

For me, the system was not broke and I did not want a ''fix'' a/k/a messing it up !

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Wed Jun 22 12:51:22 2016

In defense of Internet Explorer, if you write pages more like we did ten years ago, it blows the other browsers out of the water.  You just have to make conscious design decisions that most duhvelopers now can't handle.

The average page loads so many scripts from so many places, displays so many ads everywhere, does so little layout server-side, and does so little processing client-side.  Every time you hit a page, it downloads a ton of unused resources and then just stalls as the ads and layout scripts fight each other for dominance.  And God forbid you type or click anywhere because that's another round trip to the server and back.

And that's _before_ you involve the mooks who use some experimental branch of Chrome and can't be bothered to test if it works anywhere else.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Jun 22 13:35:52 2016

Internet Explorer: I had been using IE since forever, but when I upgraded to Windows 10, all Hell broke loose with both IE and Windows 10. Presumably, MS was trying to force the use of "Edge" a browser that ignored every good feature of IE and went on its own merry way; at the same time, in IE, Windows 10 was trying to force the use of MS's "Bing", instead of Google, which irritated me intensely; again, I'm an old dog and am not interested in learning any new tricks unless there is something in it for me, and I found that in Chrome; literally, no further Windows or browser problems; go figure ...

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 22 14:48:07 2016

For two weeks I have not been able to put anything new on as the photo section will not load. I did not think about doing drag and drop. Also I hate having to do an extra page to get to categories. If I put in a name I am given a choice of every category, including industrial, but the one I need. Most collectibles do not have UPC codes.