Fri June 10 2016 17:17:45

Amazon Returns Items to Seller in Poor Condition

By: Reader

I've been working through the thousand plus books I just had returned from Amazon's FBA. Amazed at the poor condition. Soot covered, severely damage corner, torn covers. Very few even close to what I sent in.

How can they sell like this? Is it just coincidence that mine are so bad or is this common?
W.

Amazon Returns Items to Seller in Poor Condition   Amazon Returns Items to Seller in Poor Condition

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Fri Jun 10 21:39:57 2016

I don't do FBA but my understanding, and I could be wrong, is items such as books and DVDs are all placed together. Of course the new is separated from the used. It sounds like you got back other FBA sellers damaged books. Someone with a better understanding of how Amazon's FBA operates will, I am sure, respond soon. Maybe Pace?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Jun 11 10:41:32 2016

Send Amazon a bill for the bad books.

If they refuse to pay up you could always buy the same book on Amazon and return the bad one.

Sounds like the only fair thing to do. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Jun 11 17:01:56 2016

I've never sold on Amazon, so don't know a thing about FBA, but this is a really scary story. I hope the OP has some recourse against Amazon for returning items that weren't his/hers.

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 12 08:35:16 2016

Sounds as though Toolguy is suggesting you commit mail fraud?

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Jun 12 13:46:47 2016

Not mail fraud Randy. Based on your comment Amazon would have committed mail fraud as well. How would you feel if you sent your items in perfect condition and Amazon returned other sellers items in such poor condition instead? I would like to know if Amazon does this routinely or if it is confined to a particular FBA warehouse. Is Amazon even aware of this issue?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Jun 12 14:48:39 2016

@toolguy

So you are suggesting that they hurt some other Amazon seller because Amazon did them wrong?  How can you justify doing something like that?  Do you do that with Ebay sellers?  That coupled with what Randy said about the mail fraud makes what you suggest beyond horrible.  And personally I would hope you'd get caught and prosecuted.  There is no reason to hurt another person / seller for something they played absolutely not part in.

@bitbybit

Yes it is mail fraud.  You are intentionally using a federal agency to perpetrate a fraud.  You would knowingly be shipping back an item that you did not purchase from that seller.  That is fraud and because the US mail service was used it is a Federal Crime.

I'm not justifying in any way what Amazon did.  They need a better way of inventorying this stuff.  But as other said, they dump it into a inventory section along with everybody else that is selling the same thing, in the same condition.  So you could have many seller's inventory mixed together.  It is how it functions.  I've never liked that, so I would never use the program.  But those that choose to use the program should read up on what they are really signing up for.

While this is no surprise to me that it happened, it is still wrong and personally I feel Amazon should be accountable.  I firmly believe sellers should reasonably expect to get their inventory back in the same condition it was sent.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jun 13 07:12:42 2016

toolguy, if Amazon had a blocked buyers list you would be one who should certainly be on it.

You've just peeled back another layer of the onion that is you.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Jun 13 09:32:31 2016

OP

You'll just have to eat it and chalk it up to doing business with Amazon.

eBay would never do that to one of it's sellers!

PS: Today is Blooming Monday, Free Onions at Outback Steak House! (Kevin Harvick finished in the top 10)

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Mon Jun 13 09:49:06 2016

Unfortunately, Amazon willfully created a situation which gives rise to the method that ToolGuy suggests.  Even more unfortunately, Amazon has money, so they're allowed to commit fraud on a massive scale while their victims would have the book thrown at them for doing it even once.

by: printersmithcom2 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 14 00:13:57 2016

Totally normal.  If you send goods to FBA unprotected, you can bet they will come back an absolute mess.  The process of getting goods into the FBA system is only slightly less rough on product than the UPS conveyors.  WE never ever send anything to FBA that is not over-wrapped or packaged well enough to survive shipping on its own without an overbox.

These are the FBA requirements as I understand them.  FBA requires that you protect your goods before you send them into the warehouse.

by: printersmithcom2 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 14 00:25:12 2016

People are getting suspended on Amazon day in and day out for this very reason.  They send in brand new books loose, and then FBA messes them up, and then the buyer complains to Amazon that the seller sold them Used books.

We learned this the hard way about our 3rd month using the service after we saw how beat up our returns were (and dirty).  We started buying poly bags and overboxing our stuff right away many years ago.  Amazon takes NO responsibility for any damage that occurs post check-in if it slips past the workers and gets shipped.  If the goods arrive damaged, or they see it is damaged before an FBA order is processed, then the goods will be marked ''warehouse damaged'' and you will get credit for these.

With Amazon it is best to always be proactive and assume they will throw stuff around and get it dirty and some of these will slip through to buyers.

It is NOT true that they separate books, they do not separate anything.  Every incoming product is just stuffed into the nearest available cubicle in the warehouse with no regard to the contents of the cubicle.

NEVER EVER do Co-Mingled items on Amazon and you must turn off ''Repackaged Returns''.  Those two features of FBA have led to more suspensions than anything else.

Co-mingling results in another seller sending in inferior or counterfeit products, FBA pulls one for a buyer on your order, and then you get the complaint.  Repackaged Returns are a disaster.  They have no clue what your product is, they don't pull up the ad and verify every part, and the buyer always gets a Repackaged Return later on and files complaint.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 14 01:13:28 2016

I would imagine with returned warehouse goods that are co-mingled, the employees are told to return the worst of the lot. That is a good way to get rid of bad stock. I believe most sellers at Amazon who use FBA realize that the merchandise they send in, may end up where ever sent out as someone elses stock. What ever is left on the shelf is what you get.

by: MADandCracked This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 14 04:46:31 2016

Sorry, but I do have to step in here to give you all some insight.

Each individual item gets handled at least 2 times before it even gets stored in its location. It is stored with many other items. That item can be handled many more times after storing for inventory counts or moving it to get to another item. That depends on how long it's been stored.

Warehouse are dirty. The amount of cardboard used in one warehouse is ridiculous! This creates a lot of dust.
Each item has an x-label which ties the item to its seller. So if there's an x-label on the item, it's the one you sent.
So if you wrap your products, put your labels outside the wrapping (so we don't have to tear off the wrapping to scan it) and you'll be a much happier seller.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jun 14 06:46:40 2016

Did someone say Blooming Idiot?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Jun 14 15:03:30 2016

@ Rexford

Yep, I'm the idiot who doesn't have a fraction of the ebay problems most here have.

Stupider me. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jun 14 17:04:02 2016

@toolguy

That doesn't make you an "idiot".  Nor is it what anyone is referring to here.

Now what you originally posted on this thread is VERY telling about you.  Your willingness to damage other sellers that have NOTHING to do with the problem at hand and the recommendation for people to commit a Federal crime as a resolution to this problem could be very problematic.  That coupled with what you post on many other threads.  Your constant denial that if it isn't or doesn't happen to you, it just couldn't be happening.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jun 15 06:55:30 2016

Tool, sometimes I wonder about your ability to comprehend what you read, but please re-read Marie's last post until it sinks in.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jun 15 10:17:52 2016

@ whoever

If I send an item to Amazon FBA and a year later I want my item back and Amazon sends me another sellers item that is inferior to what I sent in.

How could returning that item hurt another seller?

It's the only recourse Amazon has provided.

PS: I'm very telling on what kind of person I am! ~ LOL

If you really want to know what kind of person I am read my eBay FEEDBACK!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jun 15 10:24:20 2016

@ Marie,
what federal crime would I be breaking.

Now before you answer let me inform you of my families prior employment.

Dad was a carrier supervisor for 30 years, Mom was an assistant postmaster for 20 years, Grandpa was a carrier was 20 years, brother is still a carrier (39 years and counting) and I was a postal clerk for 2 years.

So don't even mention mail fraud ~ LOL

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 15 14:27:12 2016

Since I had 5 FBA returns on NEW-CDs over a year ago (removal orders by me so I could sell them on another venue) that arrived open or damaged (I put a red dot on all my FBA labels since then), I ship almost every item to FBA in a sealed polybag, even new items (of course, with the required suffocation warning).

Since then, I have not had a similar experience.