Mon May 23 2016 19:25:31

Seller Letter Reveals eBay Fees Can Be Confusing

By: Reader

I read your newsletter all the time, and just want to inform you of a recent issue that I believe everyone should be made aware of.

eBay is apparently now charging store sellers who list auctions a Buy It Now fee. For quite a long time (as far as I knew) the Buy It Now fee had been free. No fee calculator shows a Buy It Now fee, and nowhere on the eBay site can a Buy It Now fee be found. All their example listings show that Buy It Now is free, and without any associated fees.

As of this month with the new Store fees we knew we had 1000 free auction listings and decided to use them. To our surprise we were being charged between $.10 and $.25 for all the Buy It Now fees per listing.

I called eBay after looking all over the site and confirming that the Buy It Now should be free. I spoke with a young lady who seemed to agree at first that all the Buy It Now fees were free. She placed me on hold, came back, and said that the free Buy It Now is only if you do not have a store. However, if you have a store there would be a fee for using the Buy It Now option.

I asked her to please direct me to the fee section where she was seeing this, or wherever it might be listed. I followed three of her links to various places that showed the Buy It Now fee was free or didn't mention a Buy It Now as a chargeable option. Even the "Auction Listing Fee Example #2" clearly shows the Buy It Now fee as $0.00. Despite not being able to confirm anywhere where it says there is now a Buy It Now Fee she is certain that there will indeed be a fee for using the feature.

I think it is critical that people be made aware that there may now be a fee for the Buy It Now. Especially since so many people are using third party listing tools and may not see it.

I would also like to know if you can possibly get any confirmation from eBay directly as to this fee, and if in fact this is just a glitch in billing or an old fee now being resurrected

I'd also like to note she was very polite and offered from the start to remove any fees we were charged. However, that is aside from the issue at hand.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Note from the editor: There's no question that eBay fees have gotten complicated! We tracked down the page where it explains fees for sellers who have a Store subscription.

If you go to this page on eBay and scroll way down, you'll see a section called "Advanced listing upgrade fees for auction-style listings" where it states, "In addition to the advanced listing upgrades above, the following upgrades are specific just to auction-style listings." There it shows the fees for adding BIN to auction listings if you have a Store, as well as fees for Reserve Price.

Note that there are also fees for "Special Duration," which eBay defines as "Use of 1- or 3-day listing durations" - the fee is $1.

Seller Letter Reveals eBay Fees Can Be Confusing   Seller Letter Reveals eBay Fees Can Be Confusing

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon May 23 20:04:17 2016

Once again, another line of (unannounced?) micro print slipped into to the legal agreement—to eBay's advantage, of course ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the unscrupulous, the malevolent, the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid. ...

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 23 22:27:30 2016

It has been this way for at least several months.  When I first opened my basic store, I was surprised to see the 25 cent charges for buy it now.  I searched eBay and found that if I am logged in, it shows up under ''Advanced Listing Upgrade Fees for Auction Style Listings''.  Check out http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/storefees.html
If you are not logged in, you see the fees for those who don't have stores and the buy it now feature is free.  I was disappointed that this wasn't disclosed by the fee calculators comparing cost with and without a store.

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 23 22:44:27 2016

I have a store and I've been paying for BIN on auctions for a LONG time. Nothing new.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 24 02:43:31 2016

It is always the easiest just to blame Ebay and say they must be doing something wrong instead of researching to make sure that it isn't a misunderstanding on the Seller's part.

Auctions with a BIN have ALWAYS had an additional listing fee, unless there was a special promotion going on.  It use to be a nickle more, but they have increased these fees.

Advanced listing upgrade fees for auction-style listings

Buy It Now
Give a buyer the option to purchase your item immediately.
The Buy It Now price must be at least 30% higher than the starting price.
Buy It Now price Fee
$0.99–$9.99
$0.05
$10–$24.99
$0.10
$25–$49.99

$0.20
$50
or more
$0.25
Reserve price
Add a minimum price that must be met for your item to sell.
Reserve price Fee
$0.01–$149.99
$3
$150 or more
2% of reserve price
Maximum charge of $100
Special duration
Use of 1- or 3-day listing durations.
$1

So this isn't a glitch or an unannounced change.  Just a simple misunderstanding of the listing fee rules.

BR>

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 24 03:24:20 2016

@MARIE---

Is this ONLY  for those listing with STORES?

I am NOT a store owner and do not get a fee when I list an item as a BIN.

Just askin!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 24 03:29:51 2016

Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear.  The link I posted is for stores.

The OP says they are getting 1000 auctions [in limited categories] each month with their Store and they are being charged for the BIN when they thought it was suppose to be free.  It isn't, which is shown in the link and other info provided above.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 24 07:07:33 2016

Not confusing. Its just another money grab from Ebay.

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 24 09:16:38 2016

Marie, thanks for clarifying. i found this complaint from the Ebayer confusing and I didn't even know what the problem was. Now I understand what she's saying -- that if someone puts in an auction and then does a BIN, they pay a few for the BIN . That is nothing new -- it's been that way forever and relatively easy to understand but, it is just another way for Ebay to gouge sellers with fees and doesn't make sense since Ebay will make a selling fee as a BIN if it sells for the full price and nothing or less if it just sells for the starting fee that has to be at least 25 or 30% less than the BIN price. Bottom line, we get nickel and dime and people have to read the fine print and understand Ebay's pricing.

Marie, so if I did one of the "free" listings as a non-store buyer and I put a BIN in my auction, I wouldn't get charged an additional fee for the BIN?

by: minnie This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 24 12:08:25 2016

Adding the Buy It Now to an auction listing has been FREE for a long time for non store subscribers.

It is not free if you have a store subscription, and it's almost been forever, but I believe that started during one of the Spring or Fall updates during the past few years.  That is why I mostly list fixed price, and if I do list auction style, I do not use Buy It Now.

This user has validated their user name. by: TraderBoo

Tue May 24 12:34:44 2016

Been there done that, that is why I don't have a store with "Free" listings because it's not free and not cheaper. BTW when pricing is complex and confusing is when you know that you are dealing with a Monopoly. And the government is not doing much to enforce anti-monopoly regulations.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 24 12:53:58 2016

@gottogetout

You will have to look at the rules for those listing.  I've never used them before, so I don't know for sure.

@traderboo

For casual sellers a store is usually not a viable option.  For those that on a regular basis run a 83 or more BIN or GTC listings, then they should look at the various store levels as making the right choice will save them money.  So it just all depends on the needs of any given seller.  A store can be a great deal for those that can actually utilize them.

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 24 13:08:05 2016

I have always been charged a buy it now fee for my auction listings, no matter what level of store I have had at the time. The only time I am not charged a buy it now fee on a auction listing, is when I get and accept one of their promotions.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed May 25 12:17:59 2016

You want to talk about confusing.

Just look at a Paypal statement, it's such a mess.

You buy something and it's pending, then they take out the money, then it's on temporary hold, then it's put back into your account only to be taken right out again days later.

If this keeps up we might go back to using cash instead of a debit card. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed May 25 19:54:25 2016

Talking about PayPal ...

Paypal refuses to deliver online purchases to UK addresses containing the word "Isis"—LOL

tml