Fri Apr 29 2016 20:46:19

Postal Clerk Tries to Charge Seller for Package Scan

By: Reader

I found out about your website and USPS's response through Google Search.

Apparently USPS's record on charging customers for scanning prepaid packages is not entirely straightened even after two years.

On the morning of 4/26/2016, I tried to drop a couple of prepaid packages at USPS 33170 Alvarado-Niles Rd, Union City, CA 94587 and was told by the clerk and her manager that I needed to pay a fee to get the packages scanned.

I ended up dropping my packages at a different location.

I have written to USPS requesting an investigation and an explanation.
W.

Postal Clerk Tries to Charge Seller for Package Sc   Postal Clerk Tries to Charge Seller for Package Sc

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Apr 30 01:32:44 2016

Curious, how much did they want to charge per package?

I wonder what the receipt would say what you bought and paid for?

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 30 06:25:12 2016

Just another organization whose chain of command stops at the higher levels of management. Most of the postmasters and clerks are the last to know anything,

Sometimes it takes a few years to inform them of any change.

by: RLS This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 30 07:22:59 2016

I have run into problems with local po in the past. I have found speaking with the local post master General will straighten it out quickly. Training is spotty at best for the employees . I had an older carrier admit he simply did not know how to use the new scanner. You can also call the 1800 number and start an investigation. The local employees hate it since multiple forms will have to be filled out. It does produce resulta

This user has validated their user name. by: tanzi

Mon May 2 01:22:21 2016

Were the packages 15 oz. or under? The walk in USPS have different rates than the new prices online that just went into effect this past January, sometimes when i take my packages in to be scanned, they always hesitate just a bit while looking at their weight and what I have, but they do put them thru. Just wondering if possibly they wanted to charge you for what they thought you underpaid, even tho you didn't?

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 2 02:25:17 2016

I have to say I am not quite understanding this.  I do NOT print my labels;  I hand address every thing so maybe this is not something I have run into.

Does the OP mean to say that when you take your package TO the PO  and pay for them to be mailed that to GET THEM SCANNED IN--COSTS EXTRA?
Obviously I have never encountered something like this.  Is this only when you pre-print labels?

It would seem--altho it might not be so!!!---that the PO has an obligation TO their CUSTOMERS--ie--Us!---to scan the items in at the time either postage it purchased or the time that you take your pre-labeled items to the PO--as part of THEIR SERVICE that comes with the postage payment no matter HOW this is paid.

by: cvsharkey This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 2 06:39:25 2016

They are not familiar with Regional Shipping boxes either. Charged a customer extra because I listed it at 4 lb when it was 4.35lb--on a Flat Rate Regional B that can be up to 20 lb.

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 2 07:01:23 2016

If you bring a scan sheet to the PO, (for multiple packages) the PO by it's own rules is supposed to SCAN that to accept the packages - and without charge.

Meanwhile, eBay Radio posted this - print it and bring it with you from now on.

"Griff

4 hrs · San Jose, CA, United States

Our contact at USPS sent this to our shipping team. It has been circulated to ALL USPS locations. Copy it and bring it to your local PO if necessary.

eBay Customer Transactions

Please note the following USPS policy from Kelly Sigmon, VP Retail & Customer Service Operations pertaining specifically to eBay packages presented for USPS acceptance at the retail counter and back office.

• In January, 2016 Commercial Plus Pricing was eliminated

• eBay customers generate labels through Pitney Bowes for Commercial Based Pricing or their Negotiated Service Agreements (NSA) pricing

• ALL eBay prepaid parcels MUST receive an acceptance scan

• This also confirms USPS policy on pre-paid acceptance that we complete a pre-acceptance scan and provide a receipt for any customer that requests it, at no charge. If the customer wants a receipt, our SSAs should use POS or an MPOS device and comply with the request

• Sales & Service Associates should be performing a non-financial transaction unless the customer is purchasing additional extra services

• Commercial First-Class Package Service is now available for parcels weighing up to 15.999 ounces"

by: csmih731 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 2 08:53:55 2016

There's a discussion in the Etsy forums about this.

''USPS $1.30 fee to have pre-paid mailing label scanned in at Post Office?''

7678693/page/1

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 2 09:39:06 2016

I have not ever been charged that fee, my post office is great. But over the years a few customers have informed me of fees they were attempting to be charged and many items that are returned to me with costs way more than they should be for the weight of the item, packaging, etc.
One lady told me that nearly all the packages she gets have extra charges on them before they will let her pick them up. I armed her with some info and she ended up getting mine without extra cost but it seems to me that there are a lot of postal clerks out there extorting extra money from customers.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 2 10:43:38 2016

Okay, everyone, please STOP for a minute.

I didn't slog through all five pages of that Etsy discussion to see if anyone figured it out, but the $1.30 charge that the clerk tried to impose is for a Certificate of Mailing. You don't need that; the term to use is ''Acceptance scan,'' and nothing else.

Ref: https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-extra-services.htm (click the ''Learn More'' link under Certificate of Mailing to see the fee)

It sounds as if the clerk misunderstood what the customer was asking for. If you ask for an Acceptance Scan (by that term), they should know what you mean, and that's free. (On the Point of Sale terminal menu, the selection is ''Pre-paid Acceptance''.)

If you ask for a ''receipt of mailing'' or some such thing, then they may think you want a Certificate of Mailing, and much merriment about fees will ensue.

It is possible to get a receipt for an Acceptance Scan (it will show a transaction price of $0.00, as its purpose is to document receipt of your package, not your payment), but that paper receipt is of no use and will not help in any later Item Not Received dispute anyway. As soon as you hear the scanner beep, it's done and in the system.

I'm not on Etsy, but feel free to reference this posting over there if they haven't already realized what the clerk was referring to.

by: expertbenefits This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 3 15:49:36 2016

When you ask them to scan it they know you mean an acceptance scan here at least by now. They used to charge us for scanning  ( northern California east SF Bay area) all the time for a period of about 2 years.. At first they refused to scan pre-printed labels for acceptance or received because they wanted to more retail sales since fewer people write letters or pay bills with stamps.. Apparently the pre-printed purchases are or were at the time credited to National accounts (D.C) not local retail districts.  Then many district offices around the country must have been at a conference or something and decided to charge scanning same as certified mail & rationalized that it was the same as certified really so why not charge?. Mid to late 2012 & 2013 charged the same  as certified mail. They gave us a receipt since we paid for it and they stuck a little label on the scan with the cost reading certified. The charge was $1.30 -1.40.

Then thanks to Ina they stopped charging for it here due to a letter that was written to Ecommercebytes  that was forwarded to a D.C. contact. The response said that this should not be happening. I showed this letter from D.C.to the post office and they stopped charging for it.

However they wont provide you with a receipt even though the receipts are automatically generated & are thrown in the trash. It would be nice to have them for mileage deduction validation (easy way) for shipping. I was shocked when I saw that they threw them away when they were just tossing them. I asked for the receipt since they were throwing it out. They said that they could not give it to me unless I paid for it jokingly saying ''Itll cost you that's the rule''  Not much of a problem unless you are auditing many shipments & may have put the wrong label on one because the city, state is on the receipt. Not a problem these days on eBay. Fewer sales mean low or no error rate!

Re other topics,2014 was also my worst year for sales but 2015 may top that if this sales drought continues.  Nice to have some free time but $$ are necessary! Also more than not happy about the 30 day return at all or losing Top Rated because do not want to be used as bank account when someone can't pay their taxes or whatever expense has come up, at my expense! Selling some very high value expensive items scares me with a 30 day return.

There were pockets of sales of high value  items...then kaput. Also I could not find an item of mine in the search at all. I had a question from a buyer about it, one that just signed up so I tried to see where it was in the search. When I put in the exact item with stone as blue topaz I got every single stone from many designers, not my specific one so I gave up after 12 pages. of irrelevant items. You would think that they would say ''no blue topaz, try another'' instead giving you every other stone imaginable. I had the designer, style in there but it does not matter. It must be so frustrating for collectors looking for specific items. It has gotten much worse.  Lost in the ozone again.

Another thing is that they changed the fine jewelry category to include anything that has a hint of fine jewelry. It can be base metal with a fleck of a gemstone and it's fine. It can also be glass or CZ and plated with silver over base metal and it's considered fine jewelry not fashion jewelry. I wonder if that is to get more inexpensive items sourcing from China in the search & since less expensive would rank higher up than real fine jewelry? It will just crowd search even further with irrelevant items.

by: expertbenefits This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 3 16:05:05 2016

Oh it's not the customer facing employees they are following orders from their district managers,

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 4 10:56:37 2016

@expertbenefits:

> Then many district offices around the country must have
> been at a conference or something and decided to
> charge scanning same as certified mail & rationalized
> that it was the same as certified really so why not
> charge?. Mid to late 2012 & 2013 charged the same  as
> certified mail. They gave us a receipt since we paid
> for it and they stuck a little label on the scan with
> the cost reading certified. The charge was $1.30 -1.40.

No, that wasn't ''certified mail'' per se; it was, again, for a Certificate of Mailing.

From what you tell us about your dealings with your post office (including, especially, their insistence on throwing away a receipt instead of giving to you), it shows that you are unfortunately dealing with idiots at that branch. The paper Acceptance receipt shows $0.00 on it because it is the receipt for your package, not your payment. (You received an on-line receipt for your on-line payment at the time you printed your Shipping label.) That paper receipt contains package details (e.g. its weight and destination), not payment details, since the payment already occurred; that is the second half of the transaction that you initiated on-line.

As I said previously, you don't particularly need the paper Acceptance receipt anyway, but it's disappointing that the local clerks don't even understand their own system.

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 4 13:09:50 2016

I worked at a PO a couple years ago, and I must say, this is the most unorganized business I have ever been associated with. If this was not a gov't agency, it would have been out of business years ago!

by: DonC This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 6 02:16:47 2016

Whenever the personnel at your Post Office insist on doing something incorrect immediately call the 800 number, report the error and follow up to make sure your problem is addressed.

We are very fortunate our local Post Office is top notch. The post office at the town were we previously lived employed some of the most unfriendly incompetent old hags that ever rode a broomstick.