Thu Apr 21 2016 17:19:54

eBay Seller Gets Negged due to USPS Scanning Error

By: Reader

Another way our wonderful USPS can get a seller in trouble! I sent out a package on 4/18, the next day I get a message from the buyer asking "WHERE IS MY ITEM, I DONT KNOW WHERE YOU SENT IT BUT YOU DID NOT SEND IT TO ME!'

So I looked, and it was showing it was delivered to MY post office THE SAME DAY!! PLUS he left me a NEGATIVE before I even got a chance to check!

I called the post office, they told me it was a "bad scan" and would be updated. I checked the next day, and still no update. Today I went into the post office and they did a deeper scan "not sure why we can't get this scan online or the other one did not update" but it is showing the item scanned and is in the state where it will be delivered tomorrow!

After I received the neg. I was pretty upset, I emailed the customer and told them they could have waited for me to check on it, he wrote back today saying "OK OK I WILL WAIT A WEEK, THEN I WILL REQUEST A REFUND" - yes, in all caps....SO I just told him today that it should be there tomorrow, but knowing how the USPS screwed this up, to please wait, but it will be there. And I also asked if he would remove the neg. fb he gave me. So far no response!

I do have the copy of this scan if eBay requests it....But jeez, what a friggin headache!
Carol

eBay Seller Gets Negged due to USPS Scanning Error   eBay Seller Gets Negged due to USPS Scanning Error

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 21 18:30:46 2016

Be glad its only one package. Over the past few months we have hundreds scanned as delivered to our address.

And no Fleecebay won't remove the negative. We have 4 of them for the same thing.

The post office excuse is it was a mistake and the person who scanned the item just clicked the wrong button. Its just so matter of fact that it makes you want to puke on their stamps. Like Fleecebay the take no responsibility. But then again what would one expect them to do.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Apr 21 18:33:29 2016

These types of situations are always tricky and extremely upsetting.  It is not advisable to communicate with your buyer until you get yourself in check.  I know how hard that can be at times and I respect how you felt.  But being confrontational with your buyer when you are going to turn around and ask them to revise the FB will often times backfire on you.

You got a neg because you have a buyer that doesn't play well with others.  They want what they want and nothing else really matters.  Yes, USPS made an error, but it was your buyer that jumped off the deep end before you had the opportunity to even look into the matter.

Your buyer may or may not know that typing in all caps means they are yelling at you.  Either way, they probably don't care.  But with that said, ALL communication coming from you should always be polite and professional.  And damn that can be very hard sometimes.  But it is the best way to defuse a situation and hopefully get them to work with you on fixing the FB.

Not only that, if it came down to it and you needed to contact Ebay to get the FB removed, if your emails are polite and professional to the buyer at all times, Ebay will be more likely to work with you.

Has USPS updated the online tracking?  That would be a good thing to try and get them to do.  That way if you had to have Ebay step in it would help your case.  I hope you will keep us updated on the progress of this and I hope your buyer gets the package tomorrow.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Apr 21 23:26:16 2016

I had an issue with one of eBay's coddled buyers just a couple of weeks ago.

Buyer purchased and paid for item which shipped the next day.

4 days later the buyer leaves negative feedback stating " seller shipped to wrong address".

So I checked the paperwork, and the package was shipped to the buyers confirmed address as shown in PayPal. Mind you that our listing description includes that we ship only to the address as shown in PayPal.

Next, I checked the buyers feedback.  They had not received any in over a year.

Next I checked tracking and it showed being forwarded and a day later delivered.

Make a long story short, the buyer had obviously moved since their last eBay purchase and they never changed their address in eBay or PayPal yet this coddled buyer blamed us for shipping to their old address!!

Once I saw the item had been forwarded, I contacted eBay and went through the transaction step by step and requested the removal of the negative feedback because it was clear that the buyer was blaming us for their failure to update their personal information.

For once, eBay had a sellers back as the feedback was removed almost immediately after completing my call with customer service.

OP.... try calling customer service.  It is obvious that the problem was not something you could control.... there is an outside chance that eBay will remove the negative if you get a sympathetic agent that understands.

This user has validated their user name. by: tanzi

Fri Apr 22 00:42:08 2016

I was not actually rude to the buyer, i think of it more like telling a child "why did you run across the street without looking' you know what i mean? Anyway, He did get the cap, he even emailed me back and said he received the cap, he likes the cap and it fits great, and thanked me! Ok Great right? So i email him back and say thats great, glad he likes it, now would he please remove the neg. and  sent over the fb revision to him, so far, nothing. But he does seem to be pretty slow in answering emails. The original tracking still says its at my post office, but his emails are record and ebay should be able to see he said he received it, or i can always get an update from the post office. So, i dont know if he is going to revise it or not, but at least he got the item & likes it.  I stayed away from ebay for quite a few months due to all the garbage that was going on, and then this happens. Maybe i should have just stayed away.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 22 00:58:09 2016

This is one of the main reasons feedback should be between Ebay and seller and not open to the whims of buyers. There are too many completely off the wall buyers out there. Every seller out there has their own nightmare stories of this type of buyer and the unwarranted negative(s).

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 22 01:06:13 2016

I can't believe any buyer would be ranting and giving bad feedback the day after an order! It is the Star Trek teleporter mentality where people think sellers just press a button and it ends up in their mailbox, assuming they look there for it. I actually had a buyer email me asking where their package was and when I told her the scan showed delivered, THAT was when she checked her mailbox. I had sent her a package a few days before that one that the PO had left by her door so she assume the next one would be by her door as well so she didn't check her box and apparently doesn't check it often since it had been sitting in her box for several days when she contacted me!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 22 01:19:01 2016

I have had this happen altho I got "lucky"  and have not had any bad issues with it.  But the PO takes NO responsibility for ANYTHING--damage;  lost;  MIA;  mis-directed---it's very frustrating.  Things circle the drain on conveyor belts in Sort Centers for a MONTH with no interest at all from the PO.

And talking to them--oy.  Almost as bad as trying to talk to eBay.

One thing that has changed the way customers perceive this tho is the shockingly fast speed of Amazon deliveries--I honestly do not know HOW they do it.  I received a paclage today--not in an Amazon box either!!!   via USPS two DAYS after I ordered the item--and it was showing as to be delivered any time from Monday the 25 th to Fri of that week--and yet---there it was!  And this is not at all uncommon and no I don't live in some big city;  I live deep in the country.

by: sellerchick This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 22 02:01:51 2016

Happened to me last holiday. Mailman had someone help and their scanner was clicked to mark everything delivered. I had to cut and paste my explanation email about 50 times over that one. I basically stated the facts and threw the USPS under the bus and was mostly successful in my spin control.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Apr 22 02:28:47 2016

@tanzi

You are blaming Ebay for something that is clearly your buyer's fault.  You've done a great job getting everything documented.

The FB revision requests have a very limited life span.  So if your buyer doesn't do something with it very soon it will time out.  My suggestion would be to call Ebay.  You have the M2M records to prove what you are saying.

If you decide to call Ebay, ask for a FB specialist.  When talking with them stress that the FB left is inaccurate.  Your email records show that.  And if it arrived within the ETA on the purchase, that is even better yet for you.  So check those dates too.

You have a good chance of it going just as Ric's did.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 22 09:33:01 2016

When did eBay start allowing feedback revisions? Etsy allows revisions for up to 60 days, but I was not aware that eBay did this too.

by: minnie This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 22 10:21:16 2016

I don't know how long ebay has allowed revisions, but at least a couple of years. The feedback revision request has to be sent within a month of the feedback left, and buyer gets 1 week to revise the feedback.

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 22 10:27:04 2016

I have had a few packages scanned as "delivered" when they should have been scanned as "accepted" by the PO I dropped them off at, but never had any negative results of it. A few weeks ago I made a purchase on eBay, but the eBay tracking updates and the usps.com tracking updates were totally different. The eBay updates showed the package as being "delivered" the day the seller dropped it at the PO, but the USPS tracking showed it as being "accepted", as it should have. When a customer contacts me about tracking issues, I always advise them to copy and paste the number to the usps web site to get a more accurate update. I think sometimes eBay just makes sh*t up!

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 22 10:56:51 2016

@Minnie, so one would need to ask eBay to allow them to revise the previous feedback?

This user has validated their user name. by: tanzi

Fri Apr 22 11:07:31 2016

@Marie, I never blamed ebay for this happening, I am blaming the post office.

@Sierra, ebay is giving them till May 1st to revise my fb.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 22 11:58:09 2016

The seller must initiate a Feedback Revision Request to be sent to the buyer, who can then indicate his agreement by updating to a Neutral or Positive and replacing his Neg comments. The buyer cannot start that process himself; it has to be sent from the seller. (I don't have more specifics, but there's a procedure for the seller to follow, presumably involving hitting a button and completing a form; we're not talking about just sending an email here.)

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Apr 22 12:49:14 2016

@sierra

Below are some links that explain how the revision process works.  Sorry about the multiple links, but Ebay isn't known for their easily accessible policies. I have no idea why Ebay makes it so darn difficult to find simple answers to what should be a simple policy.

tml

Requesting
a Feedback revision: In some cases, you can ask a buyer to revise a neutral or negative Feedback they've left. You can make this request only after you've resolved a problem that the buyer had with the sale or if you think the buyer accidentally left you wrong Feedback. There are also other limitations. Learn more about how Feedback revision requests work.

BR>

How
do I know if I'm eligible to submit a Feedback revision request?

You can submit 5 Feedback revision requests for every 1,000 Feedback comments you've received in the past 12 consecutive months. High-volume sellers (who earn more than 1,000 Feedback comments a year) can send more requests. We limit the number of requests so that sellers can focus on providing great service up front, not fixing problems after they happen.
You can request only 1 Feedback revision per transaction.
Feedback revision requests do not carry over from year to year.
Feedback left by users who are currently suspended do not qualify for revision.

When can I submit a Feedback revision request?

Once you've resolved any outstanding problems, you can submit a Feedback revision request as long as you haven't reached your limit for the period and the Feedback is less than 30 days old.
If you think the buyer accidentally left you incorrect Feedback, make sure by contacting the buyer first to explain why you want the Feedback revised.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 22 13:08:22 2016

TY a_c_green & Marie!

I agree, it's almost impossible to find policy stuff on eBay. I usually end up Googling and eventually find it that way.

by: exdwh This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 24 11:05:24 2016

We've seen this on multiple occasions. Once USPS shows delivered, they will suppress any future scans. The problem does not go away by itself. Our local PO can go in and remove/add scans which is scary in itself.  Only then will USPS show the final delivery scan. But guess what? Once eBay sees a delivery scan, they will never update either. At least that's how it used to work.

by: NullApps This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 27 05:51:59 2016

If you can somehow get the scans to update online you might be able to get the feedback removed if it claims they didn't receive it or says something clearly false based on the scans.  I know this for a fact given I was recently scammed by a seller on eBay who sent a few people like me empty envelopes but delayed shipping to most of his buyers.  The buyers that all claimed to receive nothing had their negs removed after he shipped them empty envelopes too.  Easily scammed 20 people and only got 6 negs that stuck and despite being an obvious scammer.  Fortunately eBay's money back guarantee provided full refunds.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 4 12:45:14 2016

I take packages to the PO almost every day now. I ship within 24 hours. I have since March 1. eBay shows that only about 60% were ''uploaded'' on time. I called and could not get an explanation of WHY I'm not seeing better marks on shipping (I used to ship once a week). I really have no idea what they are doing, but I have my receipts that prove the item was scanned and SENT the same or next day of payment. In fact, I ship pre-payment to good customers. Counts for nothing.