Wed Apr 20 2016 11:45:05

eBay GTC Listings Still Renew without UPC Codes

By: Reader

Maybe you can answer this question about eBay. At the end of February eBay threatened to delist all GTC items if they didn't contain the UPC codes.

We have hundreds of the code less items on GTC in our store. About mid March eBay delisted about 200 of them. We just relisted them figuring that there would be more of them to come. For a few days they delisted about 100 a day. Then all of a sudden nothing.

To this day we still have hundreds of items listed that are GTC with no UPC codes that they keep relisitng. After all the hoop la that they created.

Our question is, "Did they delist so many of the listing for people that some of their favorite diamonds threatened to pull out or what." We are curious as to why after all the threats and garbage with these that eBay all of a sudden has stop and you hear nothing about UPC codes anymore.

We do know that you can't list anything new without using the codes.
Thanks,
S.

eBay GTC Listings Still Renew without UPC Codes   eBay GTC Listings Still Renew without UPC Codes

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 20 12:10:58 2016

Some categories do not require UPC's

More likely though is that ebay started seeing the total listing count radically drop off the site, killing some the buzz of their greed.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 20 12:38:37 2016

I would agree that maybe they delisted so many listings that their favorite diamond sellers got really upset and threatened to leave.

Fleecebay is mostly hot air.

by: yesmikan This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 20 17:32:28 2016

I pretty much assumed it was an empty threat. I don't think any of my items got delisted at all.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Apr 20 17:45:04 2016

When we were discussing this a couple months ago, I reminded everyone that Ebay did this about a year ago.  Wanting sellers to enter UPC/ISBN/MPN codes.  Whatever was appropriate for the category.  And they gave us quite a few months to comply to this.  At some point they said they would start closing listings that did not have the proper numbers.  They started closing listings Late spring last year.  I had a couple hundred listings get closed.  Then all of a sudden it stopped.  At that time I shared that I felt they stopped because they were ending too many listings and I agree, I think it happened again.

No word from Ebay.  Nothing, they went completely silent on the issue.  Then a few months back they started pushing it again and said they wold start closing listings this spring that did not have the numbers.

I had a couple close for not having a MPN.  Neither of the listings they closed had MPNs nor would they ever of had one.

I've had zero listings closed for non UPC.  And I have some, but they just have never closed them.

Now something new I've noticed this time, if I go to update one of my listings that does not have a UPC and I forget to correct that, it still allows me to update the listing.  A couple months ago you could not do that.  The system would not allow it.  At the very least they wanted you to put Does not apply in the UPC field.

I realize it is popular to blame Ebay for this whole UPC/ISBN/MPN thing, but really you need to look to Google.

If it doesn't matter to you how your items might return in a Google search, then just put Does Not Apply in the Ebay box.  That will stop Ebay from annoying you and your listings won't get closed because of it when and if Ebay does start closing listings again.

It is Google that is driving this.  Which by the way that is why Amazon is on a UPC clean up as well.  Its all about visibility in the searches.

by: phantom This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 21 00:42:59 2016

It all about being able to capture sell through,  as soon as numbers are big enough, it will be sold by ebay (like packaging) and probably with fulfillment by Amazon. SBE/FBA

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 22 01:04:55 2016

My sister put the UPC codes on all 300 plus of her listings. She sells auctions and buy it now items almost all are new. When she relisted the items that did not sell, Ebay wiped out all the UPC codes. She says when they stop letting her list her items, she will simply leave and go back to retirement.