Sun Apr 17 2016 09:28:33

eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings

By: Reader

My question is as follows: when eBay stated putting competing web site advertising on the bottom of out listings, weren't we told it would never be for an identical item, or if it just happen by random to be the same item, the competing price would always be lower than ours?

Unfortunately I find most of my store listings with 1 website always listed at the bottom and almost always for the exact same item, and inevitably for less than I can sell it for (with all of the eBay and PayPal fees).

Thanks for letting me rant,
T.S.D.

eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings   eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Apr 17 10:17:40 2016

YEP, I'm seeing the same thing.

I pulled up my Cleco Pliers listing that I'm selling for $11 and at the bottom of my page is an ad for one at $7.99 off eBay :-(

eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings   eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings

by: sellerchick This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 17 12:01:54 2016

For months, I have discovered ads for my IDENTICAL listings on SEARS marketplace on my Ebay listings! And yes, I sell the same items for less money on Sears than I do on Fee-bay because I can afford to. Good, I think? Except for yes, all the OFF-ebay listings that aren't mine of course that end up on my ebay sales. You click on them and you are easily whisked away to the competing site.

eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings   eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings

by: Frank F This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 17 12:20:20 2016

Its just shows that ebay is a classless and unethical company and its doomed for failure. Anyone knows that its business suicide to make enemies out of 100s of thousands of your long time customers (and Business Partners).

And to collect money from sellers to list their items and then not show it to hardly anyone, AND then on top of it display a competitors listing from another website or marketplace in the listing the seller paid for is a complete atrocity and why everyone should boycott ebay just like the NFL banned them! And what's really bad is sellers are driving traffic to their listings from social media to get sales, and Ebay basically steals their customers and routes them elsewhere (and thus makes this even a bigger money maker for them). That is why I promoting on facebook and other sites to this villain marketplace - EBAY!

eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings   eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Apr 17 12:59:28 2016

This has been a problem since Ebay started doing this.  It has only gotten worse as now they run ads all over the page.  Not just at the bottom anymore.  They are on the right side.  And then those banners at the top of the pages sometimes.

eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings   eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 17 15:50:56 2016

eBay doesnt care because eBay isnt and hasnt been an ecommerce website in almost 10 years.

Its certainly NO coincidence that most of the people eBay has hired are from the FINANCIAL sector and NOT the ecommerce ones.

There are PLENTY of good, smart people who can run eBay and make it successful - the buying groups are FULL of them. They would JUMP at the chance to make eBay the best world class B2C or C2C marketplace in the world.

But all that costs money. All that means filing a new 10K that states that (the current one states that eBay is adopting policies that it KNOWS its sellers will hate but they just dont care).

eBay became addicted to ad money and once it got a "taste of the high", there was no turning back. Old CEO and NEW CEO simply prostitute their sellers for the continued advertising dollars and back room games. Whether or not YOU (or I) sell anything doesnt matter anymore.

Business on eBay for people with items that are common, fairly common or even remotely common is down at LEAST %35.

I speak every week to fellow sellers - people 10x+ larget then I (Im a small pisher) and they are dismayed at 1) the treatment that eBay gives them (buyer theft, returns issues, listing issue etc) 2) the lack of sales and 3) in sheer inability to get anything done - you just call in and get either Filipeano women who script read or local yokels in NV who tell you how THEY TOO are eBay sellers - but what ever you want/need or happened to you ... is just too damn bad.

THAT is the state of eBay today - so are you suprised that eBay is competing with you on this level? Im not.

I saw it happen yrs ago - its started with me before the ads (if Ina looks up this topic and its postings from the past they will my comments on how eBays ads are 1) competing with me and 2) taking people off eBay - some eBay says YOU SELLERS cant do!

In my case - it was eBay directing VERO to kick me and other sellers listings off eBay cause a manufacturer said we were all "unrecognized". Meaniwhile of course, the goods came from one of their dealers! STUPID EBAY.

I railed against eBay - but then came to realize something EVERY seller should know - EBAY KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT ECOMMERCE.

The guy that paid for that ad is more important then you are - as sellers are on the BOTTOM of the food chain on eBay.

Sorry that eBay is screwing another good seller - welcome to the club :(

eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings   eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings

by: TeddyElectron This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 17 17:15:22 2016

I am not happy about this situation either, but have had instances where I have items listed in the Business & Industrial category that had ads for items selling for substantially more than mine. I don't think it either helps or hurts because the part/model numbers are usually different and most people ignore the ads anyway.

eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings   eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 18 02:20:10 2016

Most of the ads are not seen by mobile shoppers. They are lucky to get the Title, photo and price.

eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings   eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Apr 18 07:47:22 2016

eBay continues their assault on their customers, and yes, once again, THE SELLER IS YOUR CUSTOMER EBAY.

"A good thing doesn't last forever" should really resonate with eBay management. They get away with this right now because they can. It is arrogant and it is foolish.

If it is not clear to every small seller on this site it should be---they don't want us. Look at who they are promoting and positioning.  Big enterprise sellers is who they want and this has been the case since Donahoe moved into the CEO role.

eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings   eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 18 09:55:41 2016

^^^ THIS... is the reason for all those unpaid orders, folks.

eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings   eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings

by: Dr Bev This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 18 11:42:15 2016

The key here seems to me to be that the listings are advertising paid for by the sellers.
Imagine that a seller (store/manufacturer) paid for ads in a newspaper, in a magazine, on a billboard or wherever -- only to find that the company who took their advertising dollars added other, competing items to their ads!

eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings   eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings

by: LifeAfterEbay This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 18 14:10:28 2016

For the entire 5 yr duration of my listing rare and collectible vintage jewelry on Ebay I had to put up with those awful ''off-Ebay'' ads. They plastered those ads along the top and bottom of my listings and the ads pointed to cheap Asian knock-off jewelry which had NOTHING to do with the rare authentic items I was selling. I always wondered why Ebay did this to their sellers. I only have about 14 days to go before I can finally close out my Ebay acct.

By the way, on Bonanza.com, sellers can opt NOT to have competing ads on their listing pages promoting other items, and any links or image ads can be those pointing to other similar items in your own booth or store, which is as it should be.

eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings   eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Mon Apr 18 14:37:37 2016

Lots of shilling for Bonanza lately.  Have they opened up electronic payments to anyone but Paypal and merchant accounts yet?  Or are they just dragging their feet like every other venue that can't figure out how to put down a suicidal eBay?

eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings   eBay Ads Undercut Seller Listings

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 18 17:28:12 2016

Dr Bev - eBay has said MANY times (and you're right about this though) that they dont view product pages as "belonging to the seller".

While this ISNT true on Amazon since you are only adding inventory to THEIR listings - here on eBay its totally different.

BUT eBay being the quasi criminal it is thinks nothing of lieing, cheating and stealing from sellers.

Sellers are the fat cows that the vampires at eBay feed off. When they get hungry, they swoop down from their caves and pluck off a seller or 2 or 3.

Need more then 2 or 3? then make another stupid rule that just interferes with a sellers "selling experience".

Who designed this system? (helped implement it) it was that know nothing Jordan Sweetbut. His background in ecommerce can be summed up nicely by saying he has NONE.

Stupid people do stupid things, and in that vain he and I are BOTH stupid (cant speak for anyone else).

Hes stupid 'cause hes in a job he knows nothing about and is killing the business SLOWLY.

Im stupid cause I didnt get a job at eBay where being a complete ans utter MORON is the only job requisite.