Mon Apr 11 2016 09:45:55

Two eBay Store Billing Questions

By: Reader

I just got a renewal notice for my yearly subscription to an eBay Premium Store at the old rate of $49 / mo. Could you find out if this renewal rate is correct or not? Are they grandfathering in previous subscribers, or have sent out notices with the wrong amount?

Since you can't count on the eBay CS reps knowing anything, I really don't know who to ask.

Thanks in advance,
Nadine

********

I have 2 Store Account on eBay. I was quite surprised to check into my account this morning to find that the New Activity Not Yet Invoiced balance on one of my accounts to eBay for 3 days from April 1 to April 3rd was showing to be $474.63 in that time frame I have sold $487.84 in products.

So I called eBay and of course got someone in who knows where that tells me they are having a slight technical issue with some account on the invoice amounts and apparently mine is one of them. My actual fee should be $43.20 not $474.63.

She told me not to worry at all they were working on it and hoped to have this issue resolved sometime in the not too distant future, but thank you for making them aware that me account was one of them affected she would make a ticket out right away on it.

As it stand right now out of the $487.84 worth of products I have sold eBay is claiming I owe them all of it but $13.21. I think this is a little more than a slight technical issue!!!

Please be sure and check your account balances everyone.
Teresa

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Apr 11 11:49:29 2016

I just checked my most recent invoice.

All is OK

I was surprised to see how little I pay for eBay's GREAT service.

Fees as a percentage of your sales
This month's eBay sales and fees

Total monthly sales
$6,959.50

Total monthly fees
6.75%
Based on your monthly fees and credits totaling $469.52, your fees as percentage of your sales is 6.75%

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Apr 11 14:39:31 2016

@Nadine

The new rates do not start until May 4th.  You will see the increases happen at that time on your invoice.  What you are being billed for now is the current rate, which is appropriate.

On May 4th you will be billed the appropriate prorated amount for your Premium store and then on your normal billing date the full month will be billed.

You are doing just fine.

@Teresa

They do have these technical issues from time to time.  The good news is they typically get them resolved before it is time to actually pay the fees.  But you are wise to keep a close eye on them.

My advice to you would be to call Ebay back once things are resolved.  Explain how this caused you concern, your time in calling them, time in reconciling things, etc.  Be nice and polite, but get your point across.  Many times they will give you a courtesy credit on your account for your troubles.  Sometimes they may say some little bitty about like $20 or something.  Nicely state your time is worth more than that.  And just sometimes it works and they will credit you a little more.

I hope you will come back and tell us and/or Ina how this all turns out for you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Apr 11 14:49:08 2016

@toolguy

You may want to go back and re-read what Teresa wrote as you clearly misunderstood what she wrote.

She is being charged over a 97% fee.  So not only is your math off, so is your understanding of what she had stated.

And unless you are set up as a Charity on Ebay, everyone pays FVFs, so no one [other than a charity] could have only a 6.75% fee rate.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Apr 11 16:09:06 2016

Oh Marie

My opening line was: I just checked my most recent invoice.

All is OK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As far as the 6.75%, I found that number on my most recent eBay invoice.

I pay 8% FVF fees and get a 20% discount on that number. That would be 6.4%

Add in the small fees I pay for listing in a second category it works out to be 6.75%

LOOK at YOUR EBAY INVOICE!

What's your percentage of fees to sales?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Apr 11 17:29:38 2016

@toolguy

I know it is your desire to minimize whatever problem someone else is having if you yourself are not experiencing it.  It is the nature of most of your postings.

My apologies.  I didn't realize you were speaking about yourself, however I really should have know that since it is your favorite subject.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Apr 11 18:12:47 2016

Marie

The OP said: Please be sure and check your account balances everyone

I responded by saying mine looked OK.

When I looked at my latest invoice I noticed the chart on the left with the percentage of fees to sales.

Just thought I would mention that fact and the fact I was getting a great deal from ebay on my fees.

Marie, it's not about me, it's about EBAY! :-)

Two eBay Store Billing Questions   Two eBay Store Billing Questions

by: Lightning This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 12 01:03:03 2016

Checked my account, and it's at 8.03%.  Can't beat toolguy, but not unhappy with the rate. Figuring it depends on the categories you sell in.  Wish it was lower like the old days, but wish all my expenses were lower in general. Who doesn't?  Hope Teresa gets that billing straightened out. I'd hate to have that happen, and see a huge payment go sailing out of my checking account.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Tue Apr 12 07:03:13 2016

My fees are 13% with perfect ratings except how they goof up the shipping statistics now.  At one point all I needed was 100 sales.  But that's hard when eBay A) only shows my listings to Florida and Jersey and B) completely shuts down for the month after I hit 5.

Two eBay Store Billing Questions   Two eBay Store Billing Questions

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 12 07:50:25 2016

@Marie, I'm always impressed with your knowledge and I appreciate your wealth of information.

I don't understand how I can have a yearly contract for a certain price, have a cancellation penalty if I end it and then will be charged a new rate before the subscription ends? Are you sure, Therese will have to pay a new rate part way through her subscription if she chooses to re-subscribe before the new rate comes into effect? If so, I will ask Ebay to end my subscription without a penalty since this is not what I signed up for when I locked into the yearly store so I could save the $20 a month.

@toolguy, you may be doing well with your high priced items and inexpensive store but I can give you other figures that are more realistic for other categories on Ebay. I have an anchor store because I sell china and it takes a long time to sell. I had had over 7000 listings but I was only selling 50 - 100 a month for $1500 - $3000 so now I am down to only the included 2500 listings so I don't pay the additional $.05 a listing. At the current yearly rate, I'm paying $180 for my Ebay store and if I sell $1800 that is another 10% in costs on my Ebay selling. Add that to my 9% in selling fees and my 3% in Ebay fees and I'm at 22% in selling fees (not including the extra selling and Paypal fees that go towards about 20% at least of included shipping). It was up to 30 - 35% when I just kept adding more items to my store and waiting a year or two for them to sell.

Not everyone has the luck to be in a category that works on Ebay like Toolguy who loves to tout his figures. All I can say to him is that Ebay will make changes every year and at some point, he too, will be disappointed. It just hasn't hit him yet. It's best not to put all one's eggs in one basket, especially if Ebay is the only income.

I do remember a few years ago when he was complaining about the fact that Ebay started charging fees for shipping. I guess he's gotten over that.

Two eBay Store Billing Questions   Two eBay Store Billing Questions

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 12 09:40:12 2016

I think TOOLguy is full of sh*t. His numbers are always WAY off, he thinks gross sales mean profits and he turns everything around to make it all about him, just like my 73 year old mother. Makes me think this guy is in need of attention.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Tue Apr 12 10:51:49 2016

Let me clarify "goof up the shipping statistics."

I found recently that the FileExchange can't actually go back 90 days.  On April 2nd, I could only go back to January 7th.  January(25)+February(29)+March(31)+April(2)=87 days.  Yet, here I was, getting "records only available for 90 days" error messages.

I've also read that there can be up to a week delay in what's shown on the monthly dashboard.  Between that delay and Cassini's antics, it's a wonder that anybody can make the numbers required to qualify for a discount.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Apr 12 13:09:14 2016

@gettogetout

First, thank you very much for the kind words.

I completely understand your confusion over Ebay subscriptions.  I was very surprised when they named them a subscription when they have a completely unique definition of the word as I previously explained.

Now before you end, downgrade or end your store, make sure you are doing it for the right reason [that it is best for YOU].

If you go to the Q&A section of the Spring Update you will find that what I said about the prorating is correct.  Or go back at look at the small print on the graphic Ina put into the first article on the subject.  The effective dates are on the graphic.

You may consider trying two Premium stores as I know those Anchor store fees are going out of site.  But if you can find a way to divide your products to what makes sense, then try two premium stores and see if that will work for you.  Test it for a period of time, however if your business is anything like mine, I know the summer months are typically slow and really don't pick back up until late Sept. or early Oct.

Two eBay Store Billing Questions   Two eBay Store Billing Questions

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 12 13:59:57 2016

My fees average 18%, mostly due to the items I sell weigh more and cost more to ship. I use 2 day shipping and no returns. You would think that would make a difference, but no, my fees are about the same as they were before I quit jumping through the hoops. My profit factor is up because my return rate dropped dramatically. My numbers for shipping, as described, communication, etc., have a four point spread. When I did the one day shipping and took returns, I had like a 37 point spread between shipping, as described, communication, etc. Looking at the numbers, I would say I have smarter and better behaved buyers now and that works for me.

Two eBay Store Billing Questions   Two eBay Store Billing Questions

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 12 22:06:06 2016

I personally would never believe any percentage that ebay is telling you it costs you to sell there. That is your responsibility to track all your fees, costs, income, etc. and see what you are really making when selling anywhere. It is what made me decide to leave or stay on different venues during 14+ years when selling on line. For sure it made me leave ebay when my store and FVF got to be more than what I sold in a month.

Two eBay Store Billing Questions   Two eBay Store Billing Questions

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 14 04:39:31 2016

I'll bet that the percentage that they state doesn't take into account store and listing fees or paypal.  When you are considering what your fee percentage is, you have to count ALL fees, not just fvf fees.

Two eBay Store Billing Questions   Two eBay Store Billing Questions

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 14 08:06:08 2016

@ mindelec -- you are absolutely right -- you need to add the store fees in your selling rate and all the other fees. For instance if you only sell $3000 a month and have an anchor store, you have another 10% in selling fees. Paypal fees are another at least 3% but could easily be 6% if you sell $6 items with $4 shipping -- that's another 6%. Plus, some people have low margins and some people have high margins so not everyone can lower than prices and still sell on Ebay. I am lucky because my sale prices are usually 5 to 10X my cost BUT my sell through rate is only 3% now for china and I'm going to lower my store subscription and make it monthly so I can control it and not Ebay. They did me a favor by waiving the high cancellation fees but I still think it's ridiculous of them to offer a YEARLY subscription and then change the price half way through. If you get a subscription to a magazine, do they then decide they're not making enough money and charge you a new rate half-way through? Only on Ebay!! Some people who want to keep their subscription and not downgrade should be appalled at Ebay's tactics that are, once again, not fair!

Two eBay Store Billing Questions   Two eBay Store Billing Questions

by: expertbenefits This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 17 00:22:29 2016

The sheer energy it takes to sell on eBay these days with confused customers, constant changes and little lead time between when a decision is made ( like 30 day return announcement edict) Now they have decided that fine jewelry includes plated jewelry with fake stones if any part of the item is fine, it is fine jewelry. fake stones with sterling silver are fine, real stones with base metal are fine jewelry. It's going to get really crowded since I believe they want to fit in all the Made in China items so we will see lots of 0.99 fine jewelry pieces.  Never a dull moment in a bad way. Redo listings again. I guess I will keep my premium store for now and my website will get more items. 30 days will be rough for super high end items. Hate to lose the top rated benefits. 30 days is too long for small businesses.

The whole store subscription thing makes absolutely no sense. If the fees go up during the middle of the year, you should be able to cancel. I was thinking of discontinuing my store since suddenly my custom template only shows the 1st page of my listings. They talked me out of it with a 2 free months. The rep said he liked my store so much. Why did they hide the pages then? Probably just a technical issues as usual. Also my sold items do not show in my advanced tab either. One item will show only for some reason. I have brought this up for a year and they send it to technical but it's not a priority.  So when people look at my tab they think I sold one item in 2 weeks so they start low balling me. Accuracy would be nice.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Apr 17 02:46:57 2016

@expertbenefits

Ebay announced last fall that by that TRS Plus sellers would need to offer 30 day return policies.  That was several months ago.

If you don't want to do the 30 day return policy, you can still be TRS, you just won't be TRS Plus.

You can cancel your store without penalty up to June 4th.  So if this is something you feel is in your best interest, you can do it, it is up to you.

All this was in the Spring Seller Update.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Apr 17 03:01:59 2016

@mindelec

The percentage eBay shows on your invoice page is all the ebay fees, including store subscription, fvf & listing fees.

It does NOT count Paypal fees as Paypal is a different company with a different fee structure.