Sat Apr 9 2016 17:43:29

When Should eBay Stores Migrate to New Plan?

By: Reader

I posed this question to eBay on the community board, on Facebook, on Twitter and on the phone. I have gotten two different answered twice. May 6th twice and May 1 twice. I do not know how to find out the definitive date I should make the change. I emailed Griff but only get a form reply. Here is my dilemma:

I have about 2000 items in an ANCHOR STORE. Right now I barely sell enough items to pay the $180 a month rent. I could not possibly pay $300 a month. So I plan to switch to a premium store and pay $60 a month for the first 1000 items and then 10 cents an item times 100 for $100. This will even save me $20 a month.

My question is to not incur extra fees, when would be the best date to change my subscription? What confuses me is my current store renewal is May 1, while the new price structure is May 6. It means I will be paying a lot of extra money for 6 days. So please tell me on what date do you recommend I make the change.
Steve

When Should eBay Stores Migrate to New Plan?   When Should eBay Stores Migrate to New Plan?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Apr 9 18:34:48 2016

"I emailed Griff but only get a form reply."

If he actually answers you you will get a "form" reply. Sorry you wasted your time with the seller "advocate".

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Apr 9 19:16:38 2016

Steve

Both answers are really correct, they just need a bit more explaination.

The amount of Free BIN/GTC listings for whatever store you subscribe to will take affect on May 1st.

The store fee for whatever level you are will take affect on May 6th.

Ebay is offering a non penalty period of time for those that wish to downgrade their stores.  It is good through June 4th.

So for you, you could downgrade at any time.  Ebay will prorate the store fees.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sat Apr 9 19:33:01 2016

That makes sense, Marie, but here's what I read from an eBay moderator on the eBay boards:

Thank you for selling on ebay.  All downgrades do in fact take place at the start of the next calendar month and not at the end of the bill cycle.  That is true for sellers on the 15th of the month bill cycle too.  This would mean that if you downgrade on May 1, the old store tier would remain in place until the end of May then the new store tier would be in effect as of June 1.  Since fees are billed in advance, fees would be prorated based on what was previously paid in your invoice.
If you wish to downgrade I would recommend doing it well before May 1 so you can catch the new monthly cycle.  Then on May 1st your new store will be in place.
Thanks!
Shelley

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Apr 9 19:40:38 2016

Steve,

For some sellers it may be better to have two Premium stores rather than one Anchor store.  But that would depend on if you can split up your products and/or have the desire to run more than one store.  Just remember not to run duplicate listings, not even between your stores.

Some other information you may find useful.

If you are a seller trying to figure out which store [if any] is best for you, then this info may help.

These numbers are based on BIN / GTC listings only.  If you are one of the few sellers that can make use of the free auction listings given which each store level, then you save even more.  But most sellers can't use them because they don't sell in those specific categories.

So for each store level you will save money if you post at least the following [these numbers are rounded off]:

24.95 - Basic Store w/o subscription - 85 listings
19.95 - Basic Store w/ Subscription - 65

74.95 - Premium Store w/o subscription - 335
59.95 - Premium Store w/subscription - 265

349.95 - Anchor Store w/o subsription - 3,085
299.95 - Anchor Store w/subscription - 2,665

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Apr 9 19:54:53 2016

@Shelley

GOOD point.  You are absolutely correct and I mis-stated that part.

Ebay will prorate when you UPGRADE your store, as these will happen immediately.  But they don't do that when you downgrade.  They say it take effect on the next period.

Thank you for catching that.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Apr 10 02:31:18 2016

Just in case there is any confusion since I posted some incorrect information.

If you have a store that you want to DOWN grade due to the upcoming changes, you can do so WITHOUT penalty anytime between now and June 4th.

When you DOWN grade, Ebay does not prorate when you downgrade.  Your store level will NOT change until your monthly billing date for your store level.

As for the timing, I strongly suggest you look at your invoice to see what date Ebay renews your current store.  Once you know what that date is, downgrade it a couple days before.  As many days before that you are comfortable with.

Those that are going to UP grade their store, you don't have to worry about timing, as UP grades are immediate and will be prorated.

So Steve, review your invoice, then downgrade [if that is what you want to do] before your next billing date.

by: steve9801 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 10 08:25:46 2016

Marie. If I downgrade at the time of my next invoice which is April 15th, then for the next month I will have a Premium store at the old rate of $50 and only 500 free fixed listings. This means with my 2000 items in my store I will pay $200, more than what I am paying now. How does this prevent excess fees?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Apr 10 12:51:23 2016

@steve

Yes.  So you would not want to downgrade until May 12, 13 or even 14th.  Somewhere in there.  Unfortunately you will have a few days at the higher rate.  But as you noted it will save you on listing fees if all your listings come up for relisting during that period of time.  For me, not all my listings come up for relist at the same time.

You are correct, it is important to look at all the timing issues so you make the best possible decision for yourself.

by: steve9801 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 10 13:10:07 2016

My listings come up about the same amount each day of the month. So it is impossible to figure it out based on that. I have been getting several different answers from several different people at eBay. I will just have to decide for myself and take a hit for one month if I need to. Thank you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Apr 10 13:14:59 2016

@steve

Just keep in mind that the New Store Rates go into effect on May 6th.

They will have to prorate all those new rates for everyone.  So for you, they will prorate them between May 6th and 15th.  Then your new monthly charge will happen for a full month on the 15th.

That means if you downgrade just before the 15th of May, you should be just fine.

Also keep in mind that as a little bonus, the number of listings available free on any given Store Level is available on May 1st.  So from May 1st to the 6th, we will all pay the old rates but have additional free listings.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Apr 10 13:19:07 2016

Now there is something else I need to correct.  My math was off on how many listings for each store level.  My apologies for the confusion I've caused, it certainly wasn't my intention.

For the various store levels, they can save sellers money if on a regular basis you run a certain level of BIN/GTC listings.  The following numbers do not take into consideration the FVF savings you will get as well.  They are just intended to give a basic guideline.

24.95 - Basic Store w/o subscription - 85 listings
19.95 - Basic Store w/ Subscription - 65

74.95 - Premium Store w/o subscription - 500
59.95 - Premium Store w/subscription - 450

349.95 - Anchor Store w/o subscription - 3,750
299.95 - Anchor Store w/subscription - 3,400

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 12 08:11:38 2016

Marie, I am still very confused. I can't see how if I have a yearly subscription because I wanted to save money Ebay can suddenly change the specifics of that yearly subscription. Why wouldn't the subscription stay as I set it up until the subscription period ends?

that being said, my yearly subscription ends on July 1.

I want to downgrade to either the basic store in a yearly subscription or a monthly subcription in the premium store (I will just delete all my listings and start fresh -- most of my sales come from new listings anyway).

From what you're saying, Ebay is not honoring our yearly store subscription rates but are offering us a period of time where they will not charge a cancellation fee (through June 4). In order to not get charged the new fee for my anchor store, I assume I will need to downgrade my store by April 30 (and any time between now and then would be fine). Is that correct? I guess in the end, since I wanted to downgrade my store and couldn't do it because of the high penalty rates, Ebay is doing me a favor!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Apr 12 13:52:46 2016

@gettogetout

It isn't because Ebay isn't honoring anyone's subscription it is because Ebay's definition of ''subscription'' is different that the rest of the world's definition.  I understand what you are saying, it is hard to get away from how everyone BUT Ebay defines the word.  But you have to.  You have to understand Ebay's usage of the word.  It has been this way since Ebay started this subscription thing.

Last years change was the worse in my book.  That was when they took away a bunch of free listings from the various store levels and no longer allowed auctions to be use your free listing base with your subscription.  That was a BIG change and it hurt a lot of sellers.  They made these changes right on the heels of a big promotion to get people to sign up for a store.  Then about 30 days later they made these major changes to the structure.  And they were stuck.  The ones that did the subscriptions.  At least this year they are offering a grace period where people can get out without penalty.  Last year you had to call in and beg to get them to forgive the penalties.

From my point of view, the Premium store is a good value.  You might want to look at that a bit closer since you do run far more listings than a Basic store covers.

As for downgrading, you have some options.  OK your store renews on the first, you have a few options since Ebay is offering to allow sellers to downgrade a subscription without penalty as long as you do it before June 4th.

When you downgrade, Ebay does not prorate from the date you do the downgrade.  They make your downgrade effective on your next renewal date which in your case is the 1st of the month.

1.  Downgrade no later than April 29th. I suggest a least a couple days before renewal just to be sure it all gets recorded properly, or you can do it sooner without issue.  You could actually wait until the 30th if you wanted to, but do NOT wait until the 1st do downgrade.  If you do that, you will have to wait until the 1st of June for your downgrade to go into effect.

If you do this, there are a couple dates to be aware of.  On May 1st all store owners will have the new Free Listing amounts for the newly structured stores available to them.  The new Store rates go into effect on May 6th.  Those are two dates to remember.

So from May 1st through 5th [if you end your subscription as stated above], you will be charged the current rate for a Premium store [or whatever level you downgraded to].  Then on the 6th of May it will go to the new rates for the various stores.  They will prorate it for May 6th through May 31st.

They had to do this because in our subscription agreements they have to give a 30 day notice for store fee increases.  Which is why the odd dates.

2.  Or you could wait until your subscription renews the 1st of July and downgrade at that time.  You would then pay the higher rates for most of May and all of June, but if you downgrade on June 30th so that your July 1st subscription does not renew at the level you currently have it then it would be OK.