Thu Apr 7 2016 19:59:52

Selling Antique Furniture on eBay Can Be Risky

By: Reader

And yet another way of sticking it to the seller. Not only have I been royally screwed by buyers not paying after being the winning bidder over 5 times in less than 6 months, I now have a new and novel approach for circumventing the NPB strike in the Resolution forum by seasoned eBay buyers.

I sold an antique lawyer's/banker's book case on auction on eBay. Sold the weekend of March 26-27. Selling price was approximately $200. It was listed for pick up, cash only. This is way too large to ship at any cost close to reasonable. I live in Missouri. Winning bidder lives in Oklahoma - not exactly a hop, skip and a jump.

Auction ended on Saturday. Assurances were given cash would be sent via FedEx and tracking number would be sent via email Monday evening. Winner assured me he/she would be within one hour of my home this weekend (April 2-3).

My mother raised no fool and neither did my father. The winning bidder had over 700 feedback so he/she had been around the block many times. No one would send cash any more than they would send it Western Union.

Alas, no money and no tracking number. No response to emails regarding payment, pick up, etc. Zip, zilch, nada. I opened a case in Resolution for non-payment.

No response to dispute. No email. Nothing.

Two hours before dispute would have closed in my favor and costing a strike to the buyer, I received payment via PayPal. Yeah, right. I'm going to accept PayPal. I'm going to ship free. Any case they would have opened in dispute on this score would have been resolved in their favor - not mine. I refunded the PayPal payment as they would have gotten it refunded anyway.

Do I need to tell you how long it took to get a fee credit? Do I need to tell you how many transfers and how long I was on hold getting the fee credit resolved? Do I need to tell you the buyer has probably done this before? Do I need to tell you my time was wasted and not the buyer's? Do I need to tell you some sellers have inadvertently paid eBay commission fees due to scam artists such as the one I am describing?

No, I'm sure I'm not the only one frustrated beyond belief. I just don't understand why eBay keeps letting it happen. Does anyone have an answer?
D.

Selling Antique Furniture on eBay Can Be Risky   Selling Antique Furniture on eBay Can Be Risky

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 7 23:10:15 2016

Selling Anything on eBay Can Be Risky

there, fixed it for you!

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Fri Apr 8 00:34:50 2016

Suppose their intent was to secure payment via PayPal and then pick up the bookcase at a later time?

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Fri Apr 8 01:03:20 2016

By accepting Paypal on a pickup, the seller has no proof to show if buyer later files a claim they never received the item.

by: Oh Really? This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 8 04:51:40 2016

Buyers of Local Pick-up only eBay listing are not covered by any eBay or PayPal buyer protection for INR claims.

Sounds like maybe you didn't file a proper cancellation because the fvf credit should have been pretty much instant.

Is it better to be paid in cash at pick-up? Of course, no fees! Is it safe to accept PayPal? Sure, now you have the money and set the pick-up rules!

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 8 06:35:29 2016

Put the WORDS - LOCAL PICKUP OR PICKUP IN PERSON IN BOLD BRIGHT RED LETTERS.  If this only happened one time, don't feel so bad.  Just chalk it up to experience.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 8 10:21:20 2016

I sell large local pickup items fairly often, a few per month at any rate. I request cast at pickup but if the buyer is not too far from me I will allow Paypal, I go with the thought that the vast majority of people are honest. But I will say I got burned once although it created no net loss. Sold huge dollhouse last year local pickup. Winner was 1500 miles away but p[aid by paypal and said she would be here on the weekend. Then it became the following weekend. Then out of nowhere she opened a Paypal charge back never asking me to simply cancel the sale. She just decided to open a chargeback and of course Paypal refunded her as there is no tracking number. Worst was I received a defect on the transaction. And get this - this buyer was a dollhouse dealer looking to relist it at higher price.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 8 10:36:44 2016

The key to formatting a Local Pickup with PayPal is to specify no Shipping methods of any kind. This will yield a listing with a direction to Contact Seller for Pickup Details (or words to that effect). Shipping disputes cannot be filed if the listing is set up that way. (You can still take cash and manually mark the listing as Paid after that.)

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 8 10:37:35 2016

"received payment via PayPal. Yeah, right. I'm going to accept PayPal. I'm going to ship free."
I'm lost, why would you have to ship free?

by: doboy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 8 10:55:35 2016

If it was listed for pick up how do I ship if buyer didn't pay for shipping?

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 8 11:00:49 2016

>> ''received payment via PayPal. Yeah, right. I'm going to accept PayPal. I'm going to ship free.''
> I'm lost, why would you have to ship free?

Okay, having reviewed the OP's actual sale listing from March 27, it's clear that it was correctly set up as a Local Pickup Only, for which the seller could accept PayPal. The key phrase for a non-Shipping, Pickup-Only listing is ''You can contact your seller to arrange to pay for and pick up your item.'' The Shipping and Payments tab is quite clear on that (and the phrasing below comes from eBay/PayPal, not the seller):

> Item location: Jackson, Missouri, United States
> Shipping to: Will arrange for local pickup only (no shipping).

Unfortunately I think the seller did himself damage by refunding the valid payment. Given that the buyer had paid, and would have no mechanism for filing an INR, the buyer would have been motivated to get moving and collect the 4-tier bookcase, but now, due to the unwanted refund, the seller looks to be susceptible to a Negative feedback if they cannot find a way to salvage the deal. I would suggest picking up the phone and calling the buyer before they leave feedback for this mess.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 8 11:19:00 2016

> I would suggest picking up the phone and calling the buyer
> before [the buyer] leaves feedback for this mess.

Oh, well, I didn't notice until just now that the OP has already relisted the item, which is enjoying spirited bidding (though not from the previous buyer :-). Will be interesting to hear how this all turns out.

by: eclectic trrader This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 8 16:47:29 2016

well guys,
the world is full of crooks, I lived a long life in retail, in sales and in the virtual world. At some point some where somebody is going to put one over  on you. That is called business risk, and that is what you need to build into your mark up.
Better I think than my next door neighbor who meets her buyers when she sells on Craigs
list, I have done it a time or two myself, but my retired cop buddy has a seat in the car with a smooth action shot gun, and i always go to such rondevous heeled myself. Even so it is a dangerous and criminal world we live in.
Just increase your mark up.

by: Jane Dough This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 10 00:07:41 2016

Sell it on craigslist not ebay!

by: expertbenefits This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 17 00:38:26 2016

Buying or selling to local buyers has the advantage of being able to take fraudsters to small claims court in the event of a fraudulent Paypal dispute. Just call them and tell them that is what you will do and plan to do it. They may drop it if they know that you have evidence  i.e. eBay messages showing they received it, loved it etc and positive feedback left. Just needed some money 90 days later and yes they did love it. They didn't want to give it up but they wanted it for free.