Tue Apr 5 2016 08:06:46

eBay Enforces Rules Unfairly, Seller Asks What Can Be Done?

By: Reader

eBay says, "Selling model rocket engines are forbidden," yet many are on line for sale now under the heading: Toys and Hobbies, Models and Kits, Rocketry.

Once, selling them unknowingly, I had an item pulled from an auction including a few of these engines, got warned and threatened. Yet, hundreds are still doing it today,,, Unpunished.

Can this be reported to anyone and stop the unfairness?
Thanks,
Dan

eBay Enforces Rules Unfairly, Seller Asks What Can   eBay Enforces Rules Unfairly, Seller Asks What Can

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 5 09:19:22 2016

No, no there isnt.

eBay ISNT about fairness in policy, rules, payments, refunds or anything else.

eBay is 1) Pay for Play - large resellers get to do things the rest of us cant.

2) Gives overseas (read Chinese) sellers preferences in areas US sellers cant get A) in returns B) ship/receive times C) selling counterfeits and fakes D) allows them to lie about "item location" to get better placement in listings

eBay also lets large sellers bend/break rules at will (too much FVFs on reoccurring listings to ignore) like cancelling orders, poor to non existent customer service and refunds to customers on SNAD items.

eBay also no longer allows sellers to report stolen pictures and descriptions.

eBay itself is La Cosa Nostra on steroids. They are actually akin to the Chinese triads shown in movies - ruthless, uncaring, cold, heartless and of course buyer oriented.

MULTI CHANNEL.

DONT make eBay your ONLY sales outlet. You WILL be let down, and let down hard (unless you sell $2 t-shirts or are a pot smoking used airplane parts seller).

The more places you sell, the better you can sleep at night. Thats not to say that Amazon, Jet, Walmart and others dont have their own ridiculous rules - but at least they have PARITY - everyone gets treated the same.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Apr 5 11:31:21 2016

pace, I sell TOOLS not PARTS!

Hope that helps. . .

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 5 11:35:40 2016

Ebay enforces rules based on only one criteria... Will Ebay make a profit by enforcing the rule... that's it.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 5 12:03:32 2016

What does the OP expect Ebay to do??????

Its a venue not your mother.

This user has validated their user name. by: SirTinLee

Tue Apr 5 12:23:21 2016

What's wrong with selling on webstore.com instead of ebay?
So many complaints about ebay and yet sellers stay and complain and stay and complain . . .

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 5 12:24:09 2016

Tool - same difference

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 5 12:52:21 2016

There is a active lawsuit now hopefully it will go class action and we will all get a 5.00 coupon to make it right for all of us.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Apr 5 12:57:20 2016

eBay's been working as expected!

I put my eBay on the "Hidden" mode for a week. It didn't take long for buyers to find my items once I "un-Hid" them.

Sales are heating up for summer!

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 5 13:14:05 2016

As we keep seeing similar letters to the editor on an almost weekly basis, can these writers actually be following what takes up the majority of ecommercebytes writing? It is all about ebay and how they aren't fair, they never promised to be fair, they like jerking people around and you never get any satisfaction from them.

If you don't like what ebay does, then LEAVE. I did and have not regretted it in the 7-8 years I have been gone. I haven't seen any improvements with their every 6 months 'let's jerk the sellers around even more' nonsense. There are other places to sell that don't leave you with an ulcer. But nobody has promised life is fair unless you grew up playing on softball teams where no score is keep, no team is a winner or loser and all get a trophy (like the kids are too dumb to realize that the other team won). It is that kind of thinking that gets people set up for real disappointment in the grown up world because things don't work that way. Companies do what they want and for the most part, if you don't like what they are doing then you have to leave because they aren't going to.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Apr 5 14:18:51 2016

@queenforaday

You have more time to make any decision you need to about the upcoming changes.  For existing sellers the changes do not affect until May.

For members just signing up with Ebay, they will need to agree to the new UA.  The balance of the rules take affect in May for them as well.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Apr 5 14:28:17 2016

Everyone, Sorry, my above post was meant for a different thread.  My Bad!!

by: LifeAfterEbay This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 5 16:33:36 2016

Regarding Ebay's ongoing EPIC arbitrary applications of their own rules, and sellers who finally decide to leave Ebay: ''Leaving Ebay'' is actually a tedious process. After paying my last bill this weekend, removing all remaining listings and zero-ing out the account, I then tried to ''close my account''. Up pops a series of screens inquiring why. After I worked my way through all these screens, several pages of them  - Ebay produced a message stating that I was NOT ALLOWED to close my account for another 30 days. So now I wait out that last 30 days. All in all it will have taken about 90 days to close out that account. That - in and of itself, is exasperating. But I agree w/ other comments. Once you finally learn what goes on at Ebay - the best choice is to close your account and leave. Otherwise the problems just continue and the experience gets worse and worse. Toward the ''end'' this past winter Ebay actually shaved a point off my seller score each time I emailed them about their refusal to honor their own stated policies. These jerks actually took punitive measures against my seller score for confronting them on their arbitrary non-enforcement. They began using the ''seller-score'' number as a tool to try to socially engineer me - to keep me from emailing them. They did this 6 times in 90 days. It was BEYOND illegal, and it proved the seller ranking system is more a Pavlovian behavior engineering tool more than anything else. Ebay also began lowering my selling score each time I got a stellar positive feedback. This company is now teetering on being an all out criminal enterprise and I advise other disappointed sellers to start the process of closing their accounts. Nothing is going to change, in fact, it will only get worse. The cat's out of the bag on this firm.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Apr 5 17:48:34 2016

@lifeafterebay

There are very good reasons for not allowing sellers to close their accounts shortly after having selling activity.  I know it may be frustrating since you are just trying to bring an end to things.  But if Ebay allowed sellers just to close their accounts whenever they choose to, what would stop some scammer from running up a bunch of listings, make a few sales, collect the money, close their account, never ship a thing and just run off with the money.

It is good business to make sellers wait to close there account until well after their last sale has happened.  Again, I respect you are just trying to move on, but there is a responsibility to those you have had recent transactions with.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Apr 5 20:38:39 2016

@LifeAfterEbay - Although I doubt I will ever sell there again, I won't close my account. It's probably a zillion to one chance, but if eBay does turn itself around and actually becomes a profitable place to sell once again, I would want to keep my feedback and not start over at zero. It doesn't cost anything to have a regular account, so I plan to keep mine as long as eBay exists.

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 6 18:24:19 2016

Go on and search on Playboy magazine and look at how many things post 1980 show up in the regular eBay.  If I can find them...one would think a giant company could as well. My experience is that those with a lot of listings are targets (eBay ended a 1960s Cavalier magazine on its regular site- it is a men's adventure magazine -because a magazine with that name is adult in the 1980s.  Makes sense to me).  If you're bored, go to the Report This Item link on any page.  It's easy to do and levels the playing field.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu Apr 7 12:44:04 2016

"FeelingFroggy said 'What does the OP expect Ebay to do??????  Its a venue not your mother.'"

It's called "reading comprehension."  Let's try it!  eBay has a rule.  eBay enforced it on one seller.  eBay did not enforce it on other sellers.  Now do you understand?

"SirTinLee says 'What's wrong with selling on webstore.com instead of ebay?'"

Have you ever been to that site?  Ghost town.  Large ads on the front page.  Only supports Paypal, a deal-breaker if you want to get away from eBay.  They don't feed into any search engines either.

Most of these venues have serious faults that they're just too lazy or stupid to address.  My pet peeve is calculated shipping.  Square and others bother me every couple of weeks about why I don't use their platform.  Every time I tell them flat shipping is a deal-breaker and every time they make noise about updates calculated shipping is still missing.

The only one with even half a brain on that front is eCrater but they're so primitive in other respects.  My only alternative to Paypal there is Stripe.  Good start, I guess?  But they only accept commission fees through Paypal, again forcing you to deal with eBay.