Thu Mar 31 2016 11:32:45

eBay Offers Some Sellers 600,000 Listings While Others Get None

By: Reader

Below, I am sharing some information with you regarding some of eBay's listing offers to sellers.

I haven't had a free listing offer since I received 1,000 on 1-21-16 and I am somewhat disgusted with eBay at the moment. The sell-through rate has been so pitiful that I can't afford listing my 1600 items at 30 cents each.

It would be ridiculous and no more than I sell, I can't afford the store that would allow that many to be free. I used my free 50 last month and most of the free ones this month and not a single item I've listed has sold.

I currently have 67 items listed. I saved a few of the free quota to cover the relist of some of the items that are ending this week. So, my next eBay bill will be $2.66. The only sale I had was on 3-1-16 for an item that someone remembered I had and I was asked to relist it so it could be purchased. Before that, my last sale was 2-18-16.

They were making some money from me when I had the free listings to use. I've been on eBay since 1998 and I've never seen it so bad.

To add insult to injury, I have been reading the Sellers Board. People have been getting free listing offers. Some have received several offers. Someone below mentioned receiving one for listing 600,000 free and two other offers for 1,000 and 2,000. Plus, there was another 2,000 offered on another ID, also.

Why in the world are they offering some people 600000 free listings and some of us are getting nothing? Another person mentioned someone getting two offers in one day. One for 100,000 and one for 50,000. I have copied those two links from the board below.

Below that link, is an offer I received today to Sell in categories, I don't sell in and get back commission over $5.00 on one fashion item. The only offer I have received is about the same as no offer for me since I don't sell in those fashion categories. I think eBay needs to be more equitable with the free listings.

Thanks for all the good work you do!
B.

eBay Offers Some Sellers 600,000 Listings While Ot   eBay Offers Some Sellers 600,000 Listings While Ot

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 31 13:10:53 2016

Don't sweat it, these offers are pretty much meaningless.

I got the 600K free listing offer, but it's only good for 30 day best offer listings, which are pretty much useless, they get less visibility than normal listings and pull down your sell-through rate which gets you dinged in search.

So even if you do get that special, it's close to meaningless.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Mar 31 20:11:16 2016

OP, you need a store.

With the Basic Store @ 19.95 per month you will get 200 BIN or GTC listings.  19.95/200= 10 cents each.

Or the Premium store @59.95 with 500 BIN or GTC listing.  59.95/500= 12 cents each.

Using the premium store as an example 500 x 30cent that you are currently paying = 150.00 in listing fees.

With that many listing to post, it is more cost effective to have a store than to not have a store.

As to the promotions.  Ebay is right now pushing listings with Best Offers on them.  As a buyer I like those listings, as a seller I hate them as it drives pricing down for all seller of similar products.

The other free listing offers come and go. Not everyone always gets them on a regular basis.  There is always a dry spell.  It is not in a seller's best interest to be dependent upon free listing promos.

Sales are slow.  I'm hoping they pick up after tax day, April 15th.  Right now many people are scrambling to get their taxes done.  I have always seen a slower sales period during this time of year.  Hopefully for all of us it will pick up in a couple weeks.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Fri Apr 1 00:44:55 2016

I have had at least 1,000 free listings for a number of months now. That offer ran out at the end of February but I got the 600K offer on March 4th. All was working well and then all of a sudden today it stopped and I got charged for the listings. It was supposed to stop at 11:59PM PST. Another stupid glitch with eBay.
Sales on eBay have been horrible for a number of months now and I canceled my Auctiva account (they have been having a number of glitches also). I have turbo-Lister and going to download my listings and put them somewhere else. Unless I have free listings on eBay they are not getting anything more from me.
Marie,
The OP is saying that she can not afford to pay for any listings on eBay since it gets the same result as pounding there head against the wall. I have been selling on eBay since '99 and used to get 6K a month in sales selling part time but now I am lucky to get a hundred dollars and lately a lot less. I sell collectables and that market has been dying a slow death since '09. On eBay it is pretty much dead. (Of course if your not Foolboy LOL who is probably experimenting with his new endevour consuming his inventory).

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Apr 1 07:52:42 2016

People need to keep in mind that these "free" listings are likely only given so that eBay can keep their listing numbers up so that they can sell third party advertising.

I don't live for them, I don't run my business by them and they don't factor in in anyway excepting cluttering the marketplace and making sales go down for all.

On one of my store sites where I have 500 "free" listings as part of the package, I always go over this by a few hundred listed items. I never get free listing offers because eBay know that they are making money off of me.  Their systems are gamed to make money for eBay--they are never thinking of you, and you can take that to the bank.

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 1 09:23:03 2016

Rexford is right.
Ebay wants 3 things...
1.3rd party ads
2.large sellers
3.small sellers to go away

Ebays new search update is the reason many small sellers have no sales since about March 10 or so.  The writing is in plain sight to see...The small seller purge of 2016 is underway.

The best course of action is to avoid ebay as both buyer and seller if possible.

Ebay sold out American values to get where they are.

by: Bidderboy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 1 17:01:04 2016

Well, there it is - citing March 10 as the pertinent date puts my current situation in focus. My sales dropped so steeply since that date that I called eBay to try to figure out what the problem might be. Nobody ever mentioned a change in the search feature. I am going into my 3rd week of incredibly decreased income. If eBay's intention is to get rid of me they are accomplishing their goal. I have supported myself with eBay for 14 years, but I can't afford to continue with sales like these. So this is what getting kicked to the curb feels like - with a feedback score of over 80,000, 100% positive and all 5's in the DSR's. I am incredibly sad but at least I'm no longer confused.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Apr 2 15:47:43 2016

Perhaps Donahoe's protege can tell us again how he is reconnecting with small sellers.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 4 00:30:12 2016

I have five separate fleecebay accounts that sell the same sort of thing (higher end sportswear and designer bags etc)  mostly used and I have these ONLY for the FREE LISTINGS.  None of these accounts has seen more than a trickle of selling;  some have not sold anything in MONTHS.

Fleecebay "giving"  me free listings of any quantity is absurd;  no way could some one like me use 600,000 listings (and any one who CAN in the limited time span ALREADY has a sweetheart deal WITH Fleecebay!)

When I get a promo it is almost NEVER on all accounts;  or on one or two out of the five if I am "lucky"  and almost never does anything SELL during that time.  And using up all 50 of my "free listings"  is not doable;  at best I can list 12 as I have to RELIST for the next 7 day period.  Sweet deal ebay has set up for us eh?

I too have seen my sales---such as they were--plummet and I can only think that it is LACK OF VISIBILITY since I have things listed for LESS than others with identical things have theirs listed for that HAVE SOLD;  I have seen many examples of entire item groupings STOP selling on some arbitrary date---I have seen this and documented it so often it cannot be mere chance.  And this is not just for things I am thinking of listing;  I have seen it on several items I have been looking to buy;  say a pair of-Converse Sneakers;  ALL sales will suddenly CEASE whereas 90% of properly listed item HAD SOLD up until that date.

I am going to try an experiment and re-list items that have not sold on a different one of my accounts and see if this helps but so far nothing actually HAS helped.

Devil McWenig is certainly living up to his name.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 4 03:04:30 2016

I am always getting free listings and I use the 50 alloted free listings every  1st of the month.  I think people should be glad they're getting free listings.  Period.  Remember, it's not YOUR platform and your website.  It's their site and they can do what they want.

by: traceyg This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 4 08:32:16 2016

I would not worry about it to much. I haven't been getting many either but I sell other places now and find it more enjoyable and less of a hassle.  Try the facebook community sale boards it is free and there is a good class of people unlike craigslist. I have been doing pretty well on craigslist. I set up at local markets now and sell not hahssle the give me money I give them what they bought no shipping no this no that. No hassle no paperwork. . . . Most of the boards on Facebook are the same way. I have been so busy selling other places other then ebay I haven't had time to use their 50 free listing sa month.  There are certain things that ebay is the only place a certain kind of item will sale. I safe the 50 free listings for that but on the most part ebay is a small part of what I do. I used to make my living on ebay. Now I just do it other ways. . . . . less stress less crap from ebay. . more profit

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 4 08:45:17 2016

I agree with Ebay. Why would anyone start a store if they got more than 50 or so free listings? Do the math, the only difference with a store and a non-store is the 1% higher listing fee w/o a store. If a seller sells more than $200, it is worthwhile for him to open a store because he is pay $20 more in selling fees. If a non-store seller gets another 1000 or whatever free listings, then there is no incentive for them to open a store. Finally, Ebay is doing something smart and is limiting the free listings. It's not fair to store sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Apr 4 09:01:04 2016

Chicago48 says " It's their site and they can do what they want."

This is one of the most ridiculous statements that I have ever read here and I have read many.

Did you ever in your life take a business course? Do you even know what the term "voice of the customer" means?

by: IndyTom This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 4 09:17:37 2016

Let me be completely honest here:  if you can't afford the $20 per month store, to get 200 free listings, why are you even in business?  Something isn't working!  You have to spend some to make some. If $240 a year saves you $$480 in listing fees, why wouldn't you do that?

by: biddude This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 4 10:06:56 2016

I think a lot of this business about bad sales has to do with the economy being in a lot worse shape than they are leading us to believe it is in Most of the jobs that have been created in the last 8 years under Obama are low paying or part time jobs with no benefits Also credit has dried up and now even the corporations that used to just sell off their shelf pulls etc.. are fighting for the scraps and have been gong out of business right and left

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 4 13:23:22 2016

@REXFORD--YES exactly!   Ebay only exists when people both SELL and BUY there.

@BIDDUDE----Blaming Obama and your conspiracy theories--go back to Trumpville.  Breitbart misses you.  Where ever I go I am forever seeing signs of HELP WANTED and NOT just in the retail sector--Oh Noes!  The dreaded retail JOB!  But in manufacturing--OH NOES!  You might get DIRTY!---and service --Oh Noes!  You might have to work a weekend!

My husbands business is booming and he has kept on all the "seasonal"  help that WANTED to stay (with benefits;  medical;  retirement etc) and has ben actively looking to hire more.  So--WHERE ARE THESE SO CALLED JOB SEEKERS?

The only people across a wide spectrum of ages education and interested/training I can think of that DON'T have jobs are those who have not been willing yto go GET one.   When my great grandfathers business went OUT of business during the change over from horse carriages  to automobiles he did not sit around crying in his beer--he got on with learning how to FIX CARS.  I have his patents to prove it.

Don't blame the economy and the President for eBays failure to promote their own business.  In  a DOWN economy people should be FLOCKING to ebay---instead I see them off shopping at Coach etc.   ebay has failed to promote the savings and possibilities of their own venue and trashed ALL of us in the process.

Thanks Wening.

by: LifeAfterEbay This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 4 14:59:03 2016

I paid my last Ebay bill this morning. After 5 yrs & 1,000's of hrs spent building an Ebay store, last fall I discovered to my horror that  Ebay will take arbitrary actions to REDUCE the size of a seller's store, without the knowledge or consent of the seller. Last fall a a scam team hit my store, tried to extort cash from me, filled my feedback w/ negatives when I would not comply to send them cash - & after I reported it to Ebay, the company blamed me, slashed my seller score down by 5 points & removed 2/3rds of my listings. Each time I contacted Ebay while the scam was taking place a different person replied who had NO KNOWLEDGE of what was happening. Most of the email replies looked like they were cobbled together from “pages of pre-formatted scripts”. To this day I don't even know if I was speaking with a human being or a BOT when I reported what was happening. Forget calling them on the phone. It's like an SNL skit each time you have to do that – a pure exercise in the absurd.

Ebay DESTROYED the store it took me 5 yrs to build. I had been offered to sell / list 20,000 items or 4.9 million dollars. That offer had been in place for 3 years. Once the extortion team hit me, and I was blamed for their attack, Ebay dismantled 2/3rds of my store and limited what I could list. My entire online trade was destroyed by Ebay's crazy nonsensical actions. I know this has happened to thousands of other sellers.

Ebay's forums are packed with stunned long-time sellers whose stores have been slashed back for similar reasons. What other company in their right mind blames innocent ethical sellers for the criminal actions of scam artists who troll Ebay, looking for what they want to get FREE next? These folks got away with their scam and ended up with $500 worth of rare art glass, having paid less then $30 for it all. It's been 6 months since it happened but my online trade has been destroyed by it. I am now beginning again from scratch after 5 long years of working my ass off building a presence on Ebay. I am joining an Ebay seller class action suit soon. Ebay has become a slow motion train wreck. Anyone on the train once it goes off the rails can be financially ruined by it. Sellers need to take legal actions in one large block. I don't think Ebay is above the law. Nothing in their fine print ever stated that they might remove / or reduce the size of a seller's store.

HAD I KNOWN how little legal protection and support I would have as a seller, I would have NEVER spent 5 years of my life building a store on that site. Would-be sellers: choose another online outlet – or build your own store on your own site! What you build on Ebay can and may disappear at any time, at their discretion. You may also get blamed for the crime that goes on at the site. And when you try to discuss any of it on email with Ebay reps - you might be speaking with an scripted algorithm pretending to be a person.  Or not. You won't be able to tell!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Apr 4 15:16:41 2016

@gottogetout

Ebay changed the structure of stores last year. The free listings you get with whichever store you have is ONLY for BIN or GTC listings.  They can no longer be used for auction listings.

I think you are mixing Listing Fees and FVFs up.  The dollar value you list your items for doesn't really have a deciding factor in if a store is right for you or not.  You need to look at how many BIN/GTC listing you run in the average month.  Doesn't matter if there are 200 listings for $1 each or 200 listings at $10 each.

For example if you are a seller running 200 BIN listings per month without a store, you are paying $60.00 in listing fees.  If you have a Basic Store you can list those 200 BIN listings for $19.95.

You are correct that with a store you will save 1% on your FVFs over those paid without a store.  So that is an additional savings.  Plus you get a lower listing fee for BIN/GTC listings beyond the free ones you get with the store level you've chosen.  And you have the benefit of lower listing fees on auctions.

For the average seller, it will benefit them in overall fees paid to Ebay to have a Basic Store if you run more than 50 BIN/GTC listings on an average month.

Additional free auction style listings or additional free BIN listings is a nice thing to get IMHO, but you can't depend on being invited to any given promotion as others have stated here.  We all hit dry spells where it seems everyone else is getting invited and we aren't.  It happens.  Most sellers on Ebay can't depend on them and run a thriving business on a regular basis.

Whoops, that really isn't a good way to describe that as THRIVING and Ebay really don't go hand in hand.  LOL

by: troglites This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 6 18:37:01 2016

I don't think it's right to judge others who may not be in a position to secure a store. You never know what a person is dealing with in his/her life. There are many people who a struggling to feed their kids, or counting every dollar. Consider yourself fortunate if you are lucky enough to be blessed and that this is not an issue for you. Ebay was founded on the premise of ordinary folks selling things out of their homes. Once is was a place where people once could find unique items - not so much any more. Ebay wants to be Amazon and I don't think it ever could be.