Fri Mar 25 2016 17:12:25

Amazon Favors Overseas Sellers in Winning the Buy Box

By: Reader

Amazon has always been secretive in never disclosing all the factors it takes to win the Buy box from competing sellers on the same ASIN. But now winning the Amazon buy-box seems more mysterious than ever.

It used to be as simple as matching and beating your competition's prices by at least one penny. Then it became apparent that seller metrics such as feedback factored into the equation. If your competition had worse feedback, you could sell for a higher price and still win the buy box. If your feedback was "worse" in that you had 99%, and the competition had 100%, you had to discount a little more. Basic trial and error math.

But it has become more complicated and inexplicable when it comes to the influx of Chinese competition. To summarize, I currently have a 100% 30-day positive feedback, a lifetime feedback of 98% over the past 7 years of being a seller. I am losing the buy-box to a Chinese seller who has 4 months of selling history and 70% lifetime feedback. To win the buy-box back, I am forced to discount my prices 75 cents lower than the Chinese seller on average. It even seems to vary by ASIN on how much you need to discount.

Against USA based sellers, I only need to lower my prices a penny or a nickel and get the buy-box with ease. Same old rules apply.

I have been observing and fighting this now on several hundred listings over the course of 60 days and the results are the same. Always harder to get the buy-box from the Chinese based sellers. Not to mention, how are these sellers allowed on Amazon with such terrible feedback?

Would love to hear from other sellers about China's invasion on Amazon.
Angry Seller

Amazon Favors Overseas Sellers in Winning the Buy   Amazon Favors Overseas Sellers in Winning the Buy

by: thriftyone This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 25 23:03:45 2016

may want to get used to the new normal at AZ..have you seen this article?http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-09/amazon-is-bu
ilding-global-delivery-business-to-take-on-alibaba-ikfhpyes

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sat Mar 26 08:28:41 2016

I really don't see why people sell on Amazon.  20% commission fees, flat $4.49 shipping vouchers that don't even come close to covering actual costs, and now priority for Chinese receiving ePacket handouts?

by: zenbreeze This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 29 00:02:50 2016

They certainly invaded me.  They've been illegally using images of my paintings to make jewelry.  I've reported the listings to Amazon and found that they won't remove listings if the Chinese seller is using FBA.  They give you the runaround instead.  My sales are down 90%.  I've found competing sweatshops selling the same counterfeit pendant even.

by: madam H This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 29 00:07:49 2016

I've noticed this as a buyer on Amazon... three or four recent purchases in a row, of small items, all arrived from China.  There was no way to tell from the listing or seller information provided on Amazon that the seller was overseas.

I would never have bought these items from a international seller, aware that our government bureaucrats, in all their infinite wisdom, have forced the USPS to extend below-cost shipping rates for U.S.-bound mail from China.

These buying experiences have made me seriously reconsider shopping Amazon, as I strongly believe in supporting small business.  Will typically buy items from 3rd party or FBA sellers rather than from Amazon directly.

I do NOT appreciate ordering a small item, waiting a couple of weeks for it, only to discover the package contains a customs label and Chinese origination address.

by: topdog This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 29 09:01:37 2016

I have to believe this is what is behind Amazon refusing to take some SKUs for FBA (citing lack of space). It looks like they're reserving space for Chinese crap, much of which the US buyers don't even want. (Most buyers would prefer to buy from, and deal with, a US seller, and trust the authenticity of US sold goods far more than Chinese goods)

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 29 12:04:00 2016

Shaking my head. I'm so tired of Chines sellers. They are like Whack a Moles. You report them for whatever they are doing wrong and if Amazon does kick them to the curb someone 'else' is there the next day with the same listings doing the same thing. I found one Chinese seller with like 25000 product, supposedly. Everything they had was under the category of car GPS systems! This included boxes of crayons, kids art kits, sewing patterns that no way could they even have in inventory (I assume that if someone was stupid enough to buy from these guys they would have bought MY copy of the pattern). All their prices were 400-500% higher than regular prices. The list could go on. I don't mind working hard, but I do mind having an unfair playing field.

by: sellerchick This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 31 19:48:22 2016

Ditto on the unfair playing field. They rip off everything, have cheaper shipping handed to them by our government, and they DONT pay federal or state income tax like we do! That's a huge cost-advantage savings over us! Amazon is forced to report OUR sales, they should be forced to withhold income tax on these foreign sales and pay up!

by: clerk12345 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 12 06:04:54 2016

Do you ever think of selling your products to China directly if your products are applicable?