Wed Mar 23 2016 20:17:38

eBay Not Only Condones Bad Behavior, But Rewards It

By: Reader

I have concerns about a recent incident involving eBay. I sell full-time on eBay. I am a long-time PowerSeller with Top-Rated status, a consignment seller, and an Education Specialist (primarily teaching classes on how to sell on eBay). I pride myself for knowing the rules and following them.

I recently sold a consignment item to a woman in California. She informed me after the fact that she had "forgotten" to let me know that she wanted me to send her purchase to a different address in another state. Since I ship within 24 hours of payment, the item was gone, and it was already destined for California.

She became very testy with me, and she demanded that I refund her shipping cost because now she would have to go to the additional effort (and cost) to send the package elsewhere. I told her that I would not because I had done nothing wrong and should not have to bear the cost of her shipping.

I told her that I am required to send her purchase to the address that she provides through PayPal and that is exactly what I had done. We went back and forth via eBay Messaging.

Before the package even got to her, the woman filed a complaint in the eBay Resolution Center (RC) claiming "Item Significantly Not as Described". I responded in the RC that postal tracking was indicating that the package was still several states away from its final destination. I advised the woman that I would accept return of the package but that she would have to absorb the cost of shipping in both directions because there was no error on my part.

Of course, I called eBay Customer Service several times during this process, and several representatives over the course of several days assured me that I was correct and that eBay would back me.

The buyer and I remained at a stalemate for several days before eBay intervened and closed the case in her favor! I was informed by eBay via email to refund her money including postage. I was stunned because this was a consignment transaction, and I would be responsible for reimbursing the consignee.

I immediately called eBay Customer Service (on a Sunday), and I was put through to someone in "the Appeals Department". I told him what was going on, and he expressed surprise. Among many things wrong with this case, he further pointed out that it was not possible to file a case for shipping costs. He reversed the decision and ruled in my favor. He sent me a follow-up email indicating that I would not be responsible for shipping costs.

Fast forward to two days ago when I was reconciling my books, and I discovered an online screen that indicated that the customer was refunded 100% of her purchase! She had been asking for $9 shipping, and she was given $51 - the cost of the item and shipping - and she was allowed to keep the purchase.

I called eBay, and they advised me that the money did not come out of my account but from eBay. I was dumbfounded. I told the representative that I have two concerns: 1) That this customer is going to boast about her conquest, and it will breed more incidents of fraud, and 2) That eBay should consider putting this surplus of mad money into an effective advertising campaign or reward sellers in good standing with lowered fees.

I'm pretty disgusted with eBay at the moment. Their action in this case is possibly one of the most bone-headed moves that I have seen in my 36 year business career.

Since I'm not out any money, I can't really do anything but sit back and marvel at their stupidity. I truly have lost faith in eBay.
C.

eBay Not Only Condones Bad Behavior, But Rewards I   eBay Not Only Condones Bad Behavior, But Rewards I

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 23 22:40:15 2016

You are not the first to have this happen to. Our stance is if Fleecebay wants to refund these losers then we don't care. Its nothing out of our pocket.

Just block the loser and move on. Its not worth the time spinning your wheels. Its Fleecebays money so who cares.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Wed Mar 23 23:51:11 2016

All of us longtime sellers on eBay care. Like the OP said they could put the money to lower fees and advertising. eBay is dying the sellers and the buyers are leaving in droves. It is a shame but unfortunately it is true. The old eBay is gone and the new one is on life support.

by: alaska This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 24 01:32:52 2016

EBay does a whole lot of things wrong these days. Read this one: http://www.coinworld.com/voices/michael-bugeja/2016/03/replica_califor
niag.html

by: No Princess This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 24 04:57:13 2016

I have a buyer who won bids on two items.   Buyer is from China, has a California shipping address ( likely a forwarding service), and is upset that I will not give a quote on shipping to a third party gift recipient in China,   I only ship internationally through the GSP, by the way.  Thank goodness I have not been paid at this point, and I will eventually file for UPI and add one more person to my BB list.

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 24 08:31:01 2016

This is standard operating procedure for ebay these days.  Reward bad buyers and scammers.  They do not see it is killing their business.  They don't see that most everything they do is killing their business.  It is one of the most poorly run companies on earth.

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 24 09:50:55 2016

Well or they agree with you, side with you, close the case in your favor, and then the Brat Buyer files a chargeback on their credit card the Paypal.  Thank Goodness I saved jpgs of the delivery confirmation after the first problem.

by: DJ This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 24 13:01:10 2016

I had a buyer recently who was confused about the return console.  I take returns and they had an item that didn't fit.  This was spelled out completely in his email to me.  He called Ebay for help in using the system and the rep guided him in opening a SNAD claim!  It took me two weeks and 6 calls to get it straightened out.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 24 14:43:26 2016

Ebay will not change, everything is the sellers fault.
Ebay now is telling sellers how they are suppose to manutacture their products, the tell sellers who sell custom items where the buyer has to leave info and the buyer does not that if the shipment is late because of the buyer that is also the sellers fault. Ebay is operating in the darke ages they have no customer input boxes. Amazon does though

by: William44 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 24 15:27:33 2016

There is a trend that buyers will use your listings especially in Facebook, Pinterest and twitter to sell on your item before they have bought it. I have had this happen to me on Etsy via my listing of FB. They then ask you to send it on to a place in China or Taiwan and not put in any of your own invoices etc! I found this out by using the email on Paypal and then putting it into FB.There was all my stuff ready for sale by this other person! Needless to say no more sales to that person.

by: tb This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 25 00:46:47 2016

Similar thing happened to me. I was surprised eBay would kick in their own funds.

But also, and I mean no disrespect to the writer here, but I get a chuckle whenever I see a complaint start with something like: "I'm a long time Top Rated, Power Seller with 100% rating". We're dealing with eBay here. All of that stuff means NOTHING WHATSOEVER to eBay, so there is no point in bringing that up. "Top Rated" means nothing, "Power Seller" means nothing, and 100% Feedback means nothing. We're basically all good sellers otherwise we wouldn't be here griping about eBay. If we really WERE all of these things, we'd have personal eBay reps that handled your account and bent over backwards to help you out. Like any other business where we forked over thousands of dollars a year.

Ok, got it off my chest.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Fri Mar 25 00:58:10 2016

The flip side is that there is one less disgruntled buyer on eBay who will probably shop again. Yes, the seller was right and eBay should have only reimbursed the shipping as a good will gesture. Let's hope the buyer plows her windfall into another sale—updated address notwithstanding.

by: BB2 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 25 01:06:15 2016

@tb - Ha! I think I needed that.

by: EssexEstateServices This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 25 01:34:30 2016

We had EXACTLY the same situation with a few twists. Buyer received item and immediately claimed NAD even though the item was as pictured (we neglected to see or mention the small piece missing but it was clearly pictured.

Since the buyer was in Canada we had to send them a Paypal payment for the return postage. We calculated the return postage to be $8 CAD ($6.40 USD) and sent payment to them. They demanded return postage of $34 to return via overnight express with signature confirm. Ebay CS agreed with me that I had sent the correct postage and to just wait for the return.

After 4 days (and right before the case would have been closed for not returning the item the buyer escalates and ebay IMMEDIATELY refunds buyers entire payment. Now buyer had all their money back, the item plus another $8 in postage from me. I have no funds, have paid ebay fees, paid CASH for return postage, have no item back AND HAVE A DEFECT!

Obviously I immediately contacted CS and after reviewing all the notes admitted they made a mistake and reversed the defect and gave me payment back. I'm still without the item back, out the cash return postage and out ebay fees.

And the buyer is probably gloating about getting their money back while they play with their new train and sip on a beer I bought for them.

GRRRRRR...

This user has validated their user name. by: SirTinLee

Fri Mar 25 01:38:35 2016

I read many complaints about buyers and wonder why no one mentions the buyer's user name. Maybe because it's not allowed, I don't know, but such information would seem to be beneficial to other sellers.

by: cvsharkey This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 25 06:29:31 2016

I only buy on eBay. I've sold or tried to sell a few times, but it's not worth it. It's just not worth it.

by: Bethofvt This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 25 08:45:04 2016

I have moved on years ago from caring what Ebay does after I have payemtn. If I sold my item and still have my payment in Paypal, they can do whatever they want. As for sellers listing and selling my item on FB and having me send to their buyer, why do I care? If I get paid what I was asking, I don't care where or who it is shipped to.  I sell on Ebay to pay my bills. If my item sells and I get paid, Ebay, FB, buyers, etc can do whatever they want. My goal has been accomplished.

by: Katie This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 25 09:29:44 2016

Yes, Had the same thing happen.  And, yes, it aggravated me that they paid her even though it wasn't my money.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 25 10:01:44 2016

Why is ebay going backwards?  This is just another good example.

In determining each executive's individual compensation range, the company said that it ''evaluated each individual based on his or her leadership, competencies, innovation and both past and expected future contributions toward eBay's financial, strategic and other priorities.''
I would think that the execs should be paying a salary to ebay for destroying a company. Getting paid to ruin a company - stupid.

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 25 10:08:56 2016

Because eBay initially 'sided' w/ a Buyer who was not entitled to any reimbursement (inexperienced/ill trained CS Rep.), they felt compelled to 'reward' the 'faulty party'. Had a CS Rep. w/ the right knowledge reviewed the 'buyer's' claim correctly, they would have saved 'egg on face', lost man hours, and $51.00 - and, as noted, the true cost of a negligent buyer w/ no sense of personal responsibility, to eBay sellers like author, who wasted time, suffered aggravation, is yet to unfold. The 'self-entitled' are never wrong, even when they are, and eBay wants us sellers to lose money because of them. It's o.k. we professional business people will only list cheap lightweight stuff on eBay. This protects us from theft & return costs. We'll put our 'best stuff' where we can run business, not a charity. Let these poorly trained, spoiled 'renters' buy and suffer the losses/aggravation, from Made In China and 'casual' sellers who are equally w/o conscience and overly self entitled.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 25 10:19:13 2016

ALL these things happen because eBay brass (including the new MILLION DOLLAR MAN DW) have no clue what goes on day to day on eBay.

Most of them never really sell anything, and those that do - work at eBay so they can override any policy or erase any defect on their own accounts.

Please dont get suckered in on DWs touch and heartfelt account of how hes selling his $50 junk on eBay. Its a tall tale meant to persuade sellers that he understands them and knows their pain. Of course he obviously doesnt, and when you make a million a year 1) why would you bother to start with (donate the stuff to charity) and 2) his account "says what ever he wants it to say". He could put ANYTHING on his account - and whos to argue?

eBay plays these refund games when customers write in to eBay CS, threaten, curse and swear they will tell EVERYONE they know NEVER to shop on eBay again.

eBay is afraid of loosing buyers, sellers can all drop dead, as far as they are concerned.

To mollify these people, eBay gives "courtesy refunds", out of money collected from abused sellers .... ahhhh the eBay way.