Sat Mar 19 2016 10:04:42

What to Do When eBay Ignores Proof in Settling Claims?

By: Reader

Recently I had a problem with eBay...item was sold to a Russian buyer.

Buyer contacted us and the Russian Post advised they had not been able to make the delivery and had left message for the buyer.

Buyer ignored our message and continued to pursue the matter on eBay resolution. We sent evidence from Russian Post Office but the officer favored settlement to the buyer.

Russian Post Office returned the item marked they couldn't deliver the item. We took matters with eBay. Initially they claimed we had sent to a wrong address.

We gave evidence it was the exact address they had supplied. They still rejected our appeal...

I wish to pursue the matter on basis of principles involved. Money is not the major problem here. Any suggestions to get matters resolved?

Thanks
M.

What to Do When eBay Ignores Proof in Settling Cla   What to Do When eBay Ignores Proof in Settling Cla

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Mar 19 10:32:30 2016

It's almost IMPOSSIBLE to win a case from a oversea buyer.

This is one of the reasons I stopped selling overseas.

And if you get a return you have to pay the HIGH return shipping cost.

It's just not worth it.

I sell to the United States Only!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Mar 19 16:15:21 2016

Get your story published in the mainstream media--USA Today, Wall Street Journal, etc. The only time eBay seems to make things right is when they are embarrassed into making things right.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Mar 19 16:31:24 2016

If you have a Facebook account, post your story on eBay's Facebook page.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Sat Mar 19 21:42:54 2016

OP here are some step...

1) Go Out and purchase a football helmet.

2) Put helmet on and fasten chin strap securely.

3) Find a brick wall.

4) bend at the waist and run full speed into the brick wall.

5 Repeat until helmet breaks.

These steps will not get you satisfaction through eBay, but you will have the satisfaction of having destroyed a perfectly good helmet in less time that it would have taken to get eBay to address and correct your issue.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 19 22:52:14 2016

I sell to a limited number of Countries, definitely not Russia and only sell items that I can afford to lose. I've had very few problems.

This user has validated their user name. by: iBuyers

Sun Mar 20 12:33:46 2016

Avoid the Ukraine and Russia like a plague. There is a network of extremely  professional fraudulent buyers in both who are exceptionally well trained in defrauding sellers.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 20 16:01:22 2016

ALWAYS remember eBays goal in life - "steal alot, then do nothing."

Being thats their modus operandi - they sit back and do what you described .. nothing.

Newsflash - they DONT WANT TO BE INVOLVED - period. They just want to collect FVFs and listing fees and any other $$$ that come their way.

As well - even though eBay makes a cut off the shipping, they feel ZERO resposibility to be involved or even care about the customer - its all YOUR problem.

eBay will tell you if you call them that they did what they were supposed to do (read: designed to do) (in their words) "be nuetral".

In the end, you got the item back and so therefore YOU must refund the money, period. EVERYTHING else in the case is irrelevant.

Is the issue here that YOU lost money? in eBays own words "So what, who cares? taking losses is part of business".

In their eyes the customer never got the item (and be it true or false about the address) since they DIDNT get it - eBay cant/wont force them to pay ... anything.

What recourse do you have? none. eBay TOS covers them/shields them from any and all responsibility.

Selling on eBay is like holding a hand grenade and pulling pin. Until AT LEAST 45-60 days - it can and will blow up in your face - with eBay sitting there just smiling away.

If you got the item back then all you lost was the shipping fees - alot - but better then if he got it, kept it, used it for a week and then claimed SNAD. THEN, you may get a rock back (or anything else handy) and STILL pay the return shipping.

eBay sucks - its a fact, deal with it and DONT ship to countries outside the USA with out 3rd party insurance and if possible use their GSP - at least there you have a leg to stand on (since they deal with it after Kentucky).

by: yesterdaygirls This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 21 00:38:29 2016

Over 30% of our business is overseas...with zero problems. Sent to russia a couple of times without issues...but it seems you're missing the point.  Ebay won't back you up for 'attempted' delivery...the package was not delivered no matter what the reason, be it buyer input error/p.o. error whatever...not sure what 'settlement' you wanted? you got the order back...so just realize that you should not send to russia/ukraine...etc.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 21 01:02:37 2016

It isn't an issue of selling to Russia, or to Chicago. Ebay doesn't care and hasn't cared in years. If you want to do something, like the other poster said, take it to the main stream press, make a You Tube video of the correspondence, etc. and hope it goes viral, File a claim with the BBB in San Jose (HA!), Maybe somewhere you can get ebay to admit they were maybe wrong, but like another poster said, the customer never got their item so ebay figures it is your fault. I remember having a customer in Spain email me constantly asking where his package was. Claiming that yes I sent it to the correct address. A few months later it shows back up and guess what, it had been sitting waiting for pick up and notices sent for over three weeks, etc. I'm just glad it was insured. I do feel bad as the buyer wanted me to reship it but what is the point of sending it to the same address that it couldn't get delivered to the first time?

I found out later He was a big name in fashion and could have helped my business a bit with recommendations of my store. :(

by: expertbenefits This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 21 01:13:56 2016

Problem is that an attempted delivery is similar to when a buyer refuses delivery. Sometimes if an item is not the right size, we ask the buyer to refuse delivery & will send the other size. It's only when they sign& accept delivery. One time in France, I had a buyer return an empty package but he called me & said even though I paid retail shipping& it was on the package the postman tried to charge him so he took the package out of the envelope & they sent it back in empty box but he said i got it! They were trying to fleece him ^& of course no way I would get out paying the postage when they weighed it. He paid the duties then they wanted to charge him fake postage due! I thought he was ripping me off. He could have but he was just very upset at the carrier. Basically if you require signature if they don't sign and refuse it, it goes back. They did not charge return postage, it was express mail. Same happens if they refuse shipment here unfortunately. Proof of delivery or proof of signature over a certain dollar amount.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Mar 21 01:38:19 2016

Appeal, appeal, appeal. I send all my Russian parcels fully insured via USPS Express mail. I have had letters and parcels shipped to US addresses to people I have known for decades and had them returned as ''undeliverable as addressed.'' The recipients had not moved and some had lived at that address for many years. Perhaps the carrier was a substitute.

This user has validated their user name. by: SirTinLee

Mon Mar 21 01:48:56 2016

I agree with yesterdaygirls. Did you not get the merchandise back?  What's the problem?  You want to force the buyer to accept the item? What are the "principles" here?

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 21 08:06:13 2016

In this case you seem to be out the postage costs. Count yourself lucky. Remove Russia from your list of countries you do business with. Then go to the US Post Office and take a look at the countries that you cannot buy or ship  Registered mail. Remove all those countries from the list of countries you sell to as there is a problem with mail delivery in that country.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 21 08:07:40 2016

P.S. Never expect Ebay to help with a non-delivery item or claim, regardless of circumstances.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 21 09:25:41 2016

If you got the item back (it wasn't clear) forget it, and consider it "lesson learned" about shipping to some countries.

If you did NOT get the item back - I believe that as the aggrieved party you can file a SMALL CLAIMS Lawsuit - sue ebay for not returning your $$ and for disallowing all your proof.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 21 10:10:17 2016

Why would ebay help a seller??? No money in it for ebay.

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 21 10:38:26 2016

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 21 10:42:18 2016

IF I list anything on eBay... it goes in the GSP... get it to Kentucky... protected... and, for all you Buyers who REFUSE to BUY from GSP Sellers ? Well... YOU WRITE to eBay... (after all... they 'listen to you' e.g. protect your 100% FB, force 'free' shipping, 'scramble' your I.D. when bidding/buying)... YOU WRITE and tell eBay to STOP making GOOD SELLERS -pay- for BAD BUYERS.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 21 12:24:05 2016

"I am SICK of eBay protecting 'buyers' who are really self-entitled, shoplifters, renters, or scam artists... I am listing less & less on eBay... as the PAYING CUSTOMER with EARNED 100% ratings... I deserve to be treated better... this 'coddling' is COSTING us all money."

the buyer didn't get the item, it was returned, there is no proof she received a notice. they could have left the notice at another address(it happens in the us all the time)
I'm no fan of ebays, but I don't see any other outcome. The buyer didn't get her item it was returned, probably due to a post office mix up.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 22 02:01:44 2016

I would not worry too much about it reader.

Russians happen to be one of my best customers. The worse I got after 15+ years of dealing with them was one negative and the best thousands of dollars in sales.  They are part of my International regular customers. Is been slow though lately. I think do the sanctions Obama put on their country.