Mon Mar 7 2016 17:14:48

eBay Runs Ads for Products from Rival Marketplace

By: Reader

Thought I'd pass this jewel along. eBay is now showing sponsored ads from ThredUp, a direct competitor, on closed/ended listings and at the bottom of my "My eBay" page. Fortunately the listings on active listings are other eBay listings.

I can live with retailer ads, often showing the retailer price makes my price a lot more attractive. I don't even mind ads from other sellers, since I consider eBay to be a virtual mall - the more a buyer can find on eBay, the longer they'll shop on eBay (which also means returning to my store at some point).

But to offer sponsored ads from a competing site? And one that is looking for sellers? What is eBay corporate smoking?

And in a similar train of thought - if eBay can run ads for competing sites, then how is that any different than a seller having a link to their off eBay site, hmnn?

I started a topic on the selling board, but I don't know if it will get any traffic, it's pretty dead there. I have a discussion started at Virtual Sellers too (virtualsellers.proboards.com).

Just thought I'd pass it on.
V.

eBay Runs Ads for Products from Rival Marketplace   eBay Runs Ads for Products from Rival Marketplace

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 7 19:08:03 2016

To quote Fleecebay "Ya all will do as we say not as we do"

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 7 20:03:01 2016

eBay makes more money on advertising then they do on FVFs - its been that way for the longest time.

When an item is listed - ANYTHING can happen. The price can go up or down. The item could get sold, remain unsold, or get cancelled.

When JD came on board "he got tired" or relying on sellers and said so many times - sellers were an unreliable source of revenue.

Advertising is a "given". The advertisers pay to run the ads - regalrdless of what happens to them down the road. They "paid to be shown". If its 1x, 10x, 10000x - its all the same.

Of course eBay has different rates for ads in listings that stay around longer, but even those are a given. Post a hot item and your listing ends.

As for their content .... eBay is the worst kind of criminal - the lying kind. They tell you "no ads, no phone numbers, no web sites in YOUR LISTINGS" but then they go ahead and take people off site with the ads.

Expecting eBay to be an honest broker is like expecting a politician to be honest as well - aint never gonna happen.

Welcome to eBayland 3.0 aka fraud city.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bad Hair Day

Tue Mar 8 00:13:40 2016

Get AdBlock and all that will go away. It's not eBay, it's your browser. I couldn't believe some of the nonsense I was seeing before AdBlock. It's blocked 23,284 ads in the couple of months I've been using it! It's beautiful!

by: tb This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 9 00:46:34 2016

Ditto on Adblock. Have had it for years. Temporarily turned it off and nearly fell off my chair!

As for: "if eBay can run ads for competing sites, then how is that any different than a seller having a link to their off eBay site, hmnn?" Well maybe one day eBay will sell YOU the ability to put a link to YOUR website in YOUR listing (that you paid for). As long as they're not profiting from the link, it won't be allowed. Of course.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 9 05:04:07 2016

It's EB's platform, they can do what they want.  Unfortunately.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Mar 9 07:17:30 2016

Chicago48 says "It's EB's platform, they can do what they want."

I had to look twice to see if this was a Toolguy comment.

Yes they can, however stupid, unethical, or greed-driven.

Just because one can do something doesn't mean one should. eBay has a tendency to go for the quick buck without thinking of the ultimate damage to the business and to the sellers who sell there. eBay has perfected "throwing the sellers under a bus".

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 9 10:20:25 2016

@Rexford
LMAO! I had to look too! I thought it was TOOLguy!

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Thu Mar 10 12:58:26 2016

I have seen sponsored ads for Nazi memorabilia, ammunition, all kinds of items that are not allowed to be listed on eBay.