Wed Mar 2 2016 09:57:59

Should eBay Sellers Ignore Requests to Delay Shipping?

By: Reader

I was asked by a seller to hold his purchase until after Christmas.

"I look forward to receiving the plate, but there is no rush. If you want to wait until after Christmas to send it, that is fine with me. (It may actually be better.) My mother's parents were Danish, and I was especially fond of my "******". He was a sailor in his youth, so this plate will serve as a fond reminder of him. Thanks for taking care of it for me. May you have a peaceful and blessed holiday with your family. Regards."

I notice I have a late shipping mark on my dashboard. Item ended on 12/20 and delivered on 12/31.

I wonder if we should just ship the item on time and not bother what the customer wants. I thought the customer was always right.
Thanks,
E.

Should eBay Sellers Ignore Requests to Delay Shipp   Should eBay Sellers Ignore Requests to Delay Shipp

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Mar 2 10:36:57 2016

I've done this in the past. Customer is on vacation or is out of town working and asks if I can send it in a week?

My ebay shipping score would suffer but my customer would be happy.

Next time a customer asks me to do this I'm going to call ebay and see if they'll wave the late delivery score if I do as my customer requests.

Ebay needs to incorporate this into a feature for the customer.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Mar 2 10:40:01 2016

This is what happens when your "business partner" inserts themselves too far into your business.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 2 10:42:07 2016

Ignore requests only if you are an Ebay Carrot JUMPER.

The rest of us will delay the shipping cause we aren't interested in what Ebay desires.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Mar 2 11:44:28 2016

For a company that goes out of its way to make buyers happy, you'd think they'd have some option for delayed shipping at the buyer's request programmed into their system.

by: Bidderboy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 2 11:51:36 2016

I had experience with this scenario last week. If the customer makes a request for delayed shipping via eBay's message system eBay will remove the defects. They removed two for me last week. I talked to 5 people at customer service. The 1st 4 were not aware of the removal policy but the 5th was. I recalled having read it somewhere and put it to the test. Although it took some time and determination, the defects were removed.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Mar 2 18:09:59 2016

@bidderboy

Unfortunately many sellers don't have the hours available to spend on the phone to get to the 5th CSR to fix a problem such as this.  I've known other sellers with multiple attempts to get Ebay to remove the defect never got it removed.

***************

I would never just ignore a buyer's request for anything.  As a seller it is part of my job to address any concern or question my customer may have.  So the title of this blog asks if we should ignore these request and I say NO.

But with that said, I typically don't delay shipment for a customer.  And not because of carrots dangling in front of me as another poster suggests, but because it leaves openings for other issues to develop.

If you delay more than a week, you lose your PP seller protection.  Some may forget about that, but while others have had problems I've been fortunate and enjoyed the benefit of the Seller protection many times over the years I've sold.  It is not a benefit that I'm willing to just throw away.

When a buyer writes me and asks for a delayed shipment, I politely explain why I prefer not to do it.  This has never cause me an issue and all my buyer went away happy.  And some have become repeat customers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Mar 2 18:25:05 2016

@froggy

I do not jump after any of these so called ''carrots'' Ebay offers.  Undoubtedly you are referring to the standards we must achieve as a seller to be TRS or even TRS Plus.

I have no idea why some such as yourself get so upset or has such a distain with those that choose to obtain these selling levels.  It isn't for everyone nor should it be.  It would defeat the purpose of the level.

As in many types of businesses they give certain customers different perks for different levels of purchases.  Better discounts, freebies and the such.  It is how Costco stays in business, selling in bulk.  Offering customers bulk discounts.  And on some of their card levels you get better discounts than others.

All just normal business practices, yet when Ebay offers such a thing and some sellers choose to try to achieve and/or maintain it, some posters here see it as a betrayal or something.  I'm not sure what it is or why they see the seller that holds a TRS status as some brown nosing kiss ass.  It is ridiculous really.

I've been TRS Plus for a long time.  And even before TRS ever came around I was doing most of the stuff required to be TRS anyway.  I had to change very little to obtain the level.

I view this a bit differently than some might.  I remain TRS Plus because it is my normal way of doing business [meeting the TRS requirements], and because this is the way I normally conduct business, Ebay recognizes it as a positive thing and I get some nice benefits because of it.  To me the most notable benefit is the discount on international FCP shipping.  While the TRS discount on FVF is nice, it is no where near what it use to be and it is not what keeps me going by any stretch of the imagination.

by: Bidderboy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 2 18:34:20 2016

Aside from not achieving TRS status, aren't there other ways in which a seller can be penalized by eBay for accruing defects?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Mar 2 18:39:27 2016

@bidderboy

Yes, the most common one is lowering your listings in the search returns.  But the can also impose restrictions on a seller depending on the situation for various lengths of time and restricting various functions for a seller.  They have a handful of ways to get you coming or going.  LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Mar 3 07:16:05 2016

Marie says "Yes, the most common one is lowering your listings in the search returns."

LOL.  No offense to you Marie, but I had to chuckle at this.  So how low can it go. We have the highest ratings right now and have for some time.  It means absolutely nothing to our sales which since last June (when I am sure they pulled another leve) have been abysmal.  I doubt if we'd be able to tell one bit of difference if we fell below standards.

As far as my experience goes, being top rated anything on eBay is meaningless unless you are a large favored enterprise seller or call China your home.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Mar 3 07:16:45 2016

that was "pulled another lever"

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Mar 3 10:03:41 2016

Somethings askew, my items are selling faster then ever before!

The only time I had more sales is when I ran auctions ending on Sunday Evenings. (I haven't run auctions in 8 years)

by: toyman This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 3 10:45:12 2016

I, too, can remember back to when I was young and living paycheck to paycheck. Each paycheck had a little ''crazy'' money in it, but it was all too soon gone.

So, if someone asks if they can pay for a purchase out of their next paycheck, I have NO problem holding an item for a couple weeks.

If it insures a future customer, then good for me. If it doesn't, well, I'm not going out of business because of one delayed shipment here and there.

by: moonmyst This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 3 11:00:05 2016

If it's an item won at auction, tell the buyer NOT to pay for the item until they want it shipped. Just remember not to open an Unpaid Item case against them. I've done that several times now and never had an issue.

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 3 12:22:36 2016

In past years, when a buyer asked me to delay shipping, I never refused a request.  It was and is called ''GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE''!

A few months ago, I had another request from a buyer after purchasing an item to delay shipping.  I explained that eBay no longer permits delaying shipment, and if I did I would receive a ''black eye'' from eBay hurting my business.

The buyer responded: ''Sorry, I am also a seller, I forgot.''

Now another potential buyer asked for a favor to charge shipping to their shippers account.

In the past, I would have been only too happy to help a buyer save money on shipping.  Now having to give full refunds and letting the buyers keep the item plus jeopardizing my eBay business, I would rather risk losing a sale forgoing an opportunity to offer up great customer service.

But over the years, we knew eBay was just ''shooting themselves (and us) in the foot''.

Think eBay's brilliant management have any feet left?

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 3 12:26:10 2016

I will pack the item and generate a shipping label with the date I will put the item in the mail.
I can then upload tracking that day even though, at the customers request, it will not be mailed for a few days.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Mar 3 13:33:48 2016

Toolguy says "Somethings askew, my items are selling faster then ever before!"

Oh really? You have been crowing daily for more than a year or so about how great your sales are.  How can things be askew as it relates to your recent sales?  You lost credibility with me a long time ago but this just further solidifies what I thought already. Lots of inconsistencies with your comments. Must be raining at the swap meet today.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 3 14:34:10 2016

I called and asked eBay about this exact situation - was told that is why the threshold is 90% and not 100% - you can take the hit on 1 out of 10. Well that is not good enough for me so if the buyer pays and asks to delay shipment I refund the payment back and cancel the sale all together. Same with when a buyer pays shipping but says they are coming for local pickup and would I simply refund the shipping - I tell them eBay now requires a valid tracking number. I cancel the whole sale. Hey if sellers have to play by the ridiculous eBay rules, buyers should do same

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Thu Mar 3 19:57:06 2016

I have to follow my heart on what makes sense for my customers and my business - not what makes eBay happy.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Fri Mar 4 00:11:05 2016

In business the customer is allways right. If they want a delay they get a delay. If the "brilliant" idiots at eBay think that I am not a good seller then that is their problem and not mine. There are a lot of other places to sell my goods.