Tue Feb 23 2016 09:15:11

Restricted on eBay Because of a Friend's Account Suspension

By: Reader

I came across your article after searching for days on end since my dreaded account restriction notice for my account being associated with another suspended account.

That account belongs to a friend who was suspended for conflicting reasons given by reps. The only connection is she may have signed in using my wifi or pc and selling similar items.

So she was banned for no good reason and then along was my account after 12 years on eBay as current power seller with over 1600 100% positive feedback with repeat customers.

Whenever I call eBay they just read the same script saying no appeals. Online I'm told I'm restricted until I clear the other account which is not mine and I can't nor can my friend talking to reps all reading the same scripted replies that often don't make sense (one rep even told her it was final since she didn't call to appeal when in fact she called every day and was told to stop calling...)

Sorry for long rant. Want to know if there is any way or legal action I can use to unlink my account from hers if I am a totally different person with different name and address.

Thanks in advance
C.

PS: my active listings since the dreaded email 2 weeks ago are still running for some reason while my friend's were removed.

Restricted on eBay Because of a Friend's Account S   Restricted on eBay Because of a Friend's Account S

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Feb 23 11:42:13 2016

OP, the agents you speak to are trained to have zero empathy and despite any claims to the contrary, have no sympathy for your situation.  Even if your call has been "escalated" to a "supervisor" those agents are trained to simply listen and regurgitate scripts written for them while doing nothing to resolve your problem.

Your account status is meaningless to them as they deal with these calls all day every day.  eBay's attitude is that once they have any reason to suspect your account, any chance of restoring it to good standing is non existent unless you get outside help.

There is only one proven way to get eBay to hear and listen to your appeal.

Contact a consumer reporter for a major TV network as well as one from your locally largest newspaper.

Give them all the specifics of your account standing prior to the suspension, as well as dates, times of contact calls, statements from eBay reps etc...

eBay only reacts and responds to issues such as yours when the black eye they receive from national exposure from the press threatens to shine a light on their soulless corporate practices.

Good luck to you.

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 23 11:59:34 2016

This is what Ebay does.

They may well restrict/suspend your family too - no kidding.

It's also not unusual for Paypal to lock up your funds for 180 days when this happens, so if you have a balance get all of your money out of Paypal asap.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Feb 23 13:33:32 2016

Ric says "regurgitate scripts written for them"

Isn't that just the most annoying thing that a customer service agent can do? I've had them repeat what I have stated several times. They are so busy repeating the issue that they never really get down to solving it. Such a waste of time. The minute I hear it I know my issue will not be resolved.

I don't thinkg CSR's were so scripted 20 years ago. They were actually trained and had the ability to resolve problems.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Feb 23 14:38:23 2016

Ric would probably know better, but I've heard of people having success in getting some issues resolved once they file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I agree that "C." (OP) is more likely to obtain a satisfactory resolution if negative publicity is attached to eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Feb 23 15:08:00 2016

I had another thought: what about posting about this issue on eBay's Facebook page?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Feb 23 16:44:08 2016

@jack

The only problem with filing a complaint with the Better Business Brueau is that one would likely have to file their complaint with the BBB office closest to San Jose - AND if memory serves, eBay has representation on the BBB board.

So my recommendation would be to go ahead and file with BBB, while including that filing along with any information already compiled to their local consumer advocate both broadcast and print media.

These issues generally evaporate once they are exposed to the light of day.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Feb 23 18:03:53 2016

Since you have been Restricted and not Suspended, that is a good thing.  What exactly did the email say that informed you that you were Restricted?  And what are the restrictions?

Its that darn IP address.  If they connect that, then you are one and the same as far as Ebay is concerned.  You have to be very careful when allowing other members to access their account while using your internet service you use for your account.  Unfortunately you found this out the hard way.

But since Ebay restricted you instead of suspended you, there may be light at the end of the tunnel.  How long is the restriction and what does it involve?

You certainly are in a difficult position, but more info is needed and then maybe more good advice could come your direction.

This user has validated their user name. by: thehosst

Wed Feb 24 01:13:37 2016

If you ever move to an address where a blacklisted eBay member lived in for the last million years or get an online service with an new IP which was also used by a blacklisted guy, you are immediately associated with it but what is worst and hundreds of thousands of sellers don't know is the eBay seller restrictions, I'm not talking about the useless "you have 1 trillion dollars in items to list left" but the you have only 100 dollars MAX to sell in a day on average. This is not automated, is usually done by some Outsourced guy who barely knows anything about online sales, they are the ones eBay puts in charge of your selling opportunities.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 24 01:27:15 2016

Forcing the issue will get you nowhere. Even if you were to get yourself reinstated, it would be to zero visibility and so what's the point. Start looking at some of the other venues and find one that suits you and start building your new sales site, just in case.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Feb 24 02:26:33 2016

The OP is RESTRICTED, NOT Suspended.  At least according to what they stated and the title of the thread.

by: Zojja This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 24 04:12:01 2016

Last year I was restricted from selling items because "someone who was suspended shared something with my account."  What????  Every time I called to complain, they gave the standard, "it will be restored in 2-3 days."  First, there was no reason for the restriction and second, who was this other person they are speaking about?  Well, naturally, it wasn't cleared up in 2-3 days on each of those calls.  After going around and around for many months, when I called this last time, I got a little sarcastic, sort of to the tune of, "I've called several times and you said it would be fixed in 2-3 days, blah, blah, blah, blah.  I would call back and blah, blah, blah, blah, it will be fixed in 2-3 days.  Why won't this be corrected when nothing was my fault?"  I don't think they liked that I was mocking their 'script.'  Anyway, she claimed that an appeal was 'approved' last October and I should be fine.  "If it was fixed in October, I wouldn't be calling you today."  Besides, why would I need to file an appeal if I had done nothing wrong?  She put me on hold and surprise!  My account was suddenly restored so I can sell again.  What you are going through sucks.  I hope they will fix it for you, especially because you had nothing to do with someone's account.

by: csmih731 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 24 08:52:03 2016

This may sound strange but try clearing your cache. Every time I do that and sign into my usual websites I get an email saying that I've signed in from a different IP and they want to make sure it's actually me. Might work?

by: VJ This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 24 09:21:33 2016

Best thing to do is wait out the suspension. Write a letter and fax it in stating changes you are implementing to corret the problem.

Be warned Cassinni the brains behind ebay is very sophisticated and they can tell if you are lying etc. If accounts are linked then addressed that concern. Sending in supporting documentation, like an affidavit stating that your friend is a different entity from you may work.

But be patience. If ebay ony suspended your account and not terminate it, it means they are trying to send you a message. Acknowledge that you have received it and reassure them that you have taken steps to make certain it does not happen again.

Best of luck

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 24 09:33:52 2016

I am not very tech savvy so perhaps someone here can speak to this...I travel a fair amount and take my tablet with me. I keep up with my ebay account when on the road so most of the time I am signing in to wifi in hotels/motels.
During the summer I take my laptop to the cottage with me and have to tether to my cell to get online.
At home I have fixed wireless so always sign in using that.
Does this mean that somehow my ebay account could get linked to anyone else who stays in the same hotel and signs in to their ebay account!!!!
I went to an auction not long ago at a banquet hall that had free wifi. I'm sure there were at least 20 other dealers there, all burning up their phones....chances are some of them were using the wifi and going to ebay.
I have friends and family that use my wifi at home when visiting because I'm rural and cell service is spotty depending on the carrier.
Does this actually mean that I have to tell everyone that they cannot go to their ebay account when they are in my house?  That is absurd!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Feb 24 09:45:05 2016

Cassini, the "brains" behind eBay.  Now that's a mouthful of somethin'.  LOL

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 24 10:50:54 2016

I may be wrong - and some one here whos more technical then I am can please correct me - but if its just the IP address - then just change that.

Either ask your internet provider to get you a new STATIC IP address or find out if you can get a cheap broadband router that has its own IP address ....

aka - mask the IP address you "you look like" another person - wouldnt that be the easiest way to go?

Marie said it right - you are restricted not suspended - so this idea - may be the way out ... no ?

by: cillianred This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 24 11:09:17 2016

pace306 is correct. There are ways to change your IP address. Just do an internet search and you'll find a number of ways it can be accomplished.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 24 12:00:50 2016

"So she was banned for no good reason" - yeah that's what they all say - if she was banned I am CERTAIN it was a good reason. eBay uses the IP address for matters like this as that has always been a way they go after shill bidding. If a seller has 2 accounts and uses one to bid up his auctions on the other eBay will get him. So the IP address thing has lots of good reasons. Plus, if you have a thief using your wifi connection you get no sympathy here

by: Susan Barnes This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 24 14:25:38 2016

Pace306 is right. IP does play a role and also cookies from what I was told.

I contacted Auction Essistance and they did say that if you use same IP or even share the same computer, they can suspend you.

But was also told eBay is not so good on reinstatements.

Only thing you can possibly do is us a different platform or open a new account.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Feb 24 17:31:01 2016

@susan

The OP does not need to re Reinstated.  They need the restriction lifted.  But the OP didn't tell us what type of restrictions they are under.  Only that their listings are still visible.

But you are certainly right, Ebay is neither forthcoming about stuff like this or very eager to help sellers.

Without more info from the OP, it really is hard to advise them on what to do.  The details of the restriction are important.  It may be for a specific amount of time, they usually are.  It is possible it will be lifted by Ebay on their own in a week or so.  But again, we don't know as the OP hasn't shared enough details.