Fri Feb 19 2016 22:12:31

Should Walmart Use Third Party Sellers to Compete with Amazon?

By: Reader

I am a seller on Amazon, eBay, Etsy and Sears.

I feel like Walmart is missing out on an enormous opportunity as the one online retailer that could compete with Amazons market share if Walmart would open the marketplace to all 3rd party sellers. Do they have any plans to do this?

Do you know of any other marketplaces that will mimic what Amazon has done in order to compete with them?
K.

Should Walmart Use Third Party Sellers to Compete   Should Walmart Use Third Party Sellers to Compete

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Feb 20 02:41:24 2016

They do and have for awhile now.  I have not tried selling on it.

walmart-marketplace

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sat Feb 20 02:47:40 2016

Walmart already does this. The last few months searching on Walmart for lamps, furniture, appliances, odds n ends.. showed other vendors items. It's possible I could have been in some sort of test. Walmart though was always the lowest price.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Feb 20 10:16:31 2016

I buy from Walmart.com a few times a year.

I DON'T buy from 3rd party sellers on Walmart!

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sat Feb 20 12:42:32 2016

Has anybody really looked at what's going on?  All of these retailers are letting 3rd party sellers into their sites.  This isn't out of the goodness of their hearts.  Sales are slumping and they're trying to make up for it by charging rubes to list and/or sell.  Expect to be discarded when the parent company's fortunes change too much in one direction or the other.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 20 20:26:03 2016

As Marie CORRECTLY said - Walmart has been open to 3p sellers for some time now.

#1) they are VERY picky in who they choose - usually they choose sellers who offer a wide variety of merchandise in areas where they are weak.

#2) You MUST use a feed - you need to upload your items in a feed XLS format with product identifiers (upc codes). Items with no UPC codes are disqualified

#3) you must offer at least 30 day returns

#4) you must provide EXCELLENT (not just good) customer service

This info comes from 2 different people I know who sell there (they work for larger companies - theyare not "lone sellers")

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 22 10:43:25 2016

I made ONE purchase on Walmart.com several years ago. I tried to buy my favorite cereal which I could no longer find in the regular grocery stores. I bought a case. When it came It was the same brand but a different kind. While Walmart was willing to take it back they insisted that that is what I ordered. However, both my son and I had seen the cereal I had wanted up for sale on the site and it was no longer there. I'm not an idiot, it had been switched. I saved myself a shipping fee back since I took the case to our closest Walmart to return it. However, that was buying directly from Walmart. As I said I had NEVER bought anything on line from them before and the same week I had the cereal on order I got a scam email from Walmart telling me the shipment was delayed or something like that. Didn't realize it was a scam at first since I thought it was just an ordinary post purchase email. When I realized what it was and that it had nothing to do with my actual purchase since it arrived promptly, I tried to contact Walmart and let them know that it looked as if someone within their company was using actual customer info to send them scam emails. Walmart denied this and didn't seem interested at all in investigating this, other than assuring me the email didn't come from them and inviting me to shop with them again. Funny thing though, since I reported them I have never gotten another Walmart scam email. I would never put my customers into that sort of quandary and having them buy on a site that is not secure. Anyone along the way between the order and shipping could have grabbed enough info to send me that email and they could do the same for others. No thanks, no way. Especially since they treated me like a pest, 'noise', and like all companies that have to defend themselves, they treated me like a liar as if I have nothing better to do with my time than report problems within their system that they insisted they didn't have!