Sun Feb 14 2016 12:45:12

eBay Seller Asks what Duties on Returned Orders?

By: Reader

eBay Says Sellers Shouldn't Pay Duties on Returns (link) was an interesting article, especially since, in 12+ years of online selling I have never once had to pay a duty on a returned international item.
Jim

eBay Seller Asks what Duties on Returned Orders?   eBay Seller Asks what Duties on Returned Orders?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Feb 14 16:09:30 2016

Which tells us what about the cretins speaking for eBay?

Or, how can you tell when an eBay spokesperson is being disingenuous? Their lips are moving ...

Regardless, if any such duties have ever been paid, more likely they were on a container load of goods from China, fraudulently marked "returned goods"—LOL ...

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 14 17:19:30 2016

Just goes to show the Ebay forked tongue is wagging again while being disconnected from what brains the speaker may have.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Feb 15 07:01:06 2016

eBay and USPS ensured that we no longer sell internationally.

eBay by requiring that we pay for an international return and USPS by raising shipping fees to levels that most international buyers will not pay.

We used to do a brisk business internationally on eBay. We now make up for those lost sales on other sites.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 16 02:12:30 2016

I've never had to pay duty for a returned package and I don't see any reason why we would. It isn't like we are buying the item from overseas. We are getting out own items back in the mail.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 16 02:23:52 2016

I used to sell all the time overseas--now I am lucky if I get one or two sales every few months there.  And there are very few places I won't ship to.

The USPS rates I suspect are why I rarely see any sales---when it costs MORE to ship than to buy an item---there is little incentive to buy that item in the USA and ship it.  eBay also added to this with their bizarre requirement that items be sent with TRACKING----that doubles (or more)  the ship cost and does not in actual fact--work overseas.

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Tue Feb 16 07:47:17 2016

I am in the US and have never paid a duty on any package received from overseas - returned item or otherwise. In addition, I did once have an expensive return ($10,000 item shipped to Canada), and the Buyer filed for and received a refund of his Customs Duty.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 16 10:45:23 2016

@DON WAGNER----I know when you go TO Canada if you pay taxes and duty you can file for a refund---or at least you used to be able to;  we have never purchased enough to worry about but if I remember right their thinking is that if you are not a tax payer you should not have to be "stuck"  paying their taxes.

Please note:::  this is NOT the same as "Duty Free"  from the shops at the borders;  this is something you submit on a form.  We used to get these when we would stop at the Info Touriste.  You would save up your receipts and send them in.  My parents used to live a few hundred feet from the border and shop in Canada and used this method.

I would wonder of you DID have to pay duty on something returned if this might not be a way to get that back since you are not a citizen taxpayer of the other country.

I have never had an overseas return.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Feb 16 14:45:54 2016

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 16 15:12:50 2016

@JACK SPARROW---Good to know!!!!

by: exdwh This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 16 16:46:33 2016

''Since no individual living in the U.S. is charged any sort of duty or tariff on items mailed to them from a foreign country, there certainly wouldn't be any kind of charge for returned items.''

Um, you just made that up, right? It looks like the US threshold is $200 and things get more complicated above $2000.

s

What you meant to say is that since the China sellers grossly undervalue shipments, you'll never pay any fees.

--David

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Feb 16 17:40:15 2016

@exdwh - I buy all kinds of things from Japan (action figures, items from Tokyo Disneyland, books), from both individuals and deputy services, with the value clearly marked on the customs declaration (a couple of times in the thousands of dollars), and not once have I ever been charged a tariff or duty. And I buy a lot of stuff. So maybe that is the rule, but it's never been applied to any package I've received.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Wed Feb 17 00:48:54 2016

I also have never paid a tariff for items I buy out of this country and I also have spent a few thousand at a crack. I have never had a returned item and of course with the new prices on overseas shipments I probably never will.

by: Dburn This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 14 09:22:53 2016

I'm in the middle of a dispute because I  am being charged duty for a return from Canada: 20% of the $500 item. The return shipping and the duty is $190. The shipping up there was $68.00. More importantly, I can't find any disclosure anywhere , nor can eBay CSRs that warns sellers that they could be forced to pay return duty plus shipping both ways thus making the act of  exporting stringed instruments too risky .

I am happy you posted the article. This at least tells me that eBay is aware of the problem. They acted completely ignorant of it. Even buying the return postage for the buyer proved to be an incredibly long learning process . eBay had no clue how it was done. It sent me to Canada Post. Canada Post wouldn't allow me to buy postage. I talked to Canada Post agents.

When I repeatedly  called eBay no eBay agent could answer the simple question of who to buy the postage from or how to buy postage. When asked why  why sellers were never informed of the risk of duty being charged the CSRs had no answers (8 of them). They also wouldn't escalate.

Just because a few of you haven't been charged duty, doesn't mean that it hasn't happened.  I do thank you for the article. This may help me (very long shot).