Tue Feb 9 2016 16:53:41

eBay Interprets Tracking in Unusual Ways

By: Reader

Wow, I am once again perplexed!

I purchased some items from a Chinese seller. The package never got to me. There was an eBay tracking number on the package (one package for all four items) which shows the package arrived at my city's post office but for some reason didn't go out for delivery but instead got marked return to sender.

I assumed that perhaps the label got damaged and it couldn't get delivered to me. So I contacted eBay and they opened up "item not received" cases for me - a case for each of the four items I purchased. This is what happened to those four cases:

1) case found in my favor because item wasn't received.

2) case found in my favor because tracking shows item delivered to wrong address.

3) case found in my favor because item wasn't received, and

4) case found in the SELLER'S favor because tracking showed the item WAS received.

Having three different outcomes for the same package is troubling in and of itself, but here's what happened when I called eBay to find out why one of the cases was found in the seller's favor.

The rep in the appeals division told me to open a browser and type in a site called 17track (which is not affiliated with eBay). She had me type in the same tracking number that the seller uploaded onto eBay and the package shipping history appeared. The package once again showed it arrived at my city, but was then in a different city (on its way back to the shipper).

But the eBay rep said that since the tracking on the 17track site shows that the package was did get to my city and state eBay views it as delivered to my address.

Now keep in mind that the same tracking number I put into 17track was the same tracking number that eBay has on its site showing that the item was returned to sender.

Being a seller, I told the rep that if I sold an item, and it did not show up on eBay's tracking as delivered to my customer's address, that I am responsible for the item, not my buyer. How can it be one way for a U.S. seller and another way for a Chinese seller???

After much back and forth, and my growing frustration and voice level, she told me she would do a "one time courtesy" for me and refund my money within 48 hours, although she didn't have to do it. Really????

I'm having trouble understanding this. Are Chinese sellers the chosen ones and get special favors? Do they have a special set of eBay rules? Maybe they can even upload tracking numbers onto the 17track site and not have to upload tracking numbers onto the eBay site? If the package is being tracked as returning to sender, eBay still views it as having been received by me?

Can we sellers do the same thing and as long as our tracking shows the packages were delivered to a customer's city/state that eBay will view the package as delivered to the customer?

Something is very wrong here. And one thing is for sure - I will NEVER purchase from another Chinese seller on eBay again, and after I use my eBay Bucks, I doubt I'll ever buy anything on eBay again. (I've had additional problems with Chinese sellers shipping partial orders and swearing they have shipped the full quantity. They lie, lie lie!!!) eBay has just lost another buyer, although I'm not sure they care.
Perplexed

eBay Interprets Tracking in Unusual Ways   eBay Interprets Tracking in Unusual Ways

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Feb 9 21:05:01 2016

Only on Ebay !?!?!?

I'm with you, that is VERY confusing.  The CSR you got certainly didn't know what they were talking about.  If you are game, you should call again and see what answer you get for this.  You are right it how it is suppose to work.  It is a bot that closes claims, not a real person.  Unless you call in and get it done for whatever reason you have.  But even for a bot this is weird.  If you find out more by calling again, please have Ina update the thread if you don't want to post something here.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 9 23:16:21 2016

LMAO

I think this says it all:

17TRACK provides global-based tracking service for postal/express packages. Founded in 2010, based in Shenzhen City, China. The main site is used by several hundreds of thousands of online merchants and millions of online shoppers monthly. 17TRACK API and Iframe is integrated in countless shopping platforms and e-Commerce sites. It's the largest global package tracking classification service site!

17TRACK is owned by Demon Network Tech Co, Ltd,. which is the brainchild of Mr. D, the founder of our company. He is specialized in computer programming and he is also an expert in overseas retail and e-commerce industries. He is devoting himself completely to 17TRACK for years, he has guided our team's development and growth since. Because of his hardworking spirit, our team has grown faster than ever. We aim to make online business easier for all.

by: sadlyjoyous This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 10 02:10:44 2016

I don't trust,buy or even support Chinese sellers. US sellers are getting screwed here.We deserve better. Support Trump. He will stop the trade deal with China.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 10 02:36:04 2016

"Support Trump"???  Seriously?  His OWN products are made in--CHINA.  And--MEXICO.  Has he shown a PLAN to STOP all of  this trade?  No?  Has he shown a PLAN for ANY of his verbose statements?

Well then--he has NO PLAN.  He has a large and loud mouth;  which bellows out hate and stupid half formed thoughts;  but no actual plans.

And in case you for got your HS Civics---he cannot just say "NO TRADE WITH CHINA! Make it so!"

It doesn't work that way here.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Feb 10 07:09:58 2016

Support Trump?  HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA............I can hardly keep my coffee down. The little tyrant with the bad hair and the big mouth.  Good one.

by: topdog This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 10 09:49:22 2016

And now Amazon wants to jump into this cess pool with both feet, making Chinese goods far more accessible in FBA.

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 10 10:19:13 2016

Your first mistake was buying from a Chinese seller. Support America!

by: JusMe This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 10 11:59:03 2016

BRAVO: @Comet, @Rexford.
Trump: Loud and dirty mouth hate spewing: the new Goebbels is here.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 10 13:54:34 2016

Your 17track reminded me of a UK buyer that when her package didn't arrive  insisted that it was being delivered through some shipping company I had never heard of nor had my PO clerk who is always right in sync with what is going on involving the USPS. I told her the package no way was in the hands of that company she kept insisting it was. It was finally delivery after 5-6 months by the Royal Mail. Personally I think she finally picked it up at her PO before it was sent back showing she had refused to pay duty or accept delivery of it. She was nuts. But I thought it was funny how it was supposed to be some company other then the regular mail service, especially since it was shipped via Priority International, unfortunately before Tracking was available. I don't sell on ebay anymore but why would they be depending on a service other than the PO, UPS, FedEx, etc. to give them delivery info. Saying that a package showing up in the right city in state shows it was delivered is like saying if something show as being in NYC it was delivered! How many millions of addresses are there?

by: keepingmysecrets This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 14 09:47:43 2016

This situation reminds me of my own experience with a missing package from a US seller.  I ordered a china plate.  It never came.  Tracking showed it had arrived at the wrong zip code in a different part of the city but was never delivered to me.

eBay stated that since the tracking showed that the seller had performed by mailing the item out, no credit would be given to me.

After arguing with eBay for about 15 minutes, I, too, got a ''one time courtesy refund''.

BTW, I have been primarily a seller on eBay since 1999.  I seriously doubt that if the shoe was on the other foot and one of my buyer's had this experience with me, I would have been given the benefit of the doubt.

I got my money back, and about 6 weeks later, when visiting a post office about five miles from my home, a postal employee who knew me said, ''There is a package sitting back in our sorting room that I think is yours''.  She found it, and lo and behold, it was the plate.

Of course, no one can explain why it sat there for all that time and was not returned to the seller, or forwarded to me (address on it was correct).

Two last comments:  Plate was ivory - not white as described by the seller, and had a gold rim, also not part of my pattern - the irony being that had it arrived I could have filed for it having been ''NOT AS DESCRIBED'', and, the seller was shortly thereafter deemed to be ''Not a Registered User''.

She was a nasty so and so, who did not care when I let her know that the package had never arrived and I am happy she is gone, but still wondering what eBay was thinking when they denied me a refund when it was obvious that I had never received the item.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 14 10:42:49 2016