Sat Dec 31 2016 18:37:20

eBay Blames Glitch for Corrupted Store Images

By: Reader

Best wishes for a happy 2017. Unfortunately 2016 is not ending happily for here.

We had an eBay Store with professional custom design, which contained no active content.

Six days ago eBay's system damaged our store design and completely corrupted all images on the home page and our logo. This store was in existence on eBay for 9 years.

When called CS was told that it was due to a technical glitch related to some eBay updates and eBay would fix ad restore it in 6 hours or less.

Next day no call from eBay and no fix. After calling eBay again was told that they were sorry - would create another report and escalate it to their technical team.

Next day, again no change and no communication. Again, was told that eBay technical team did not respond and they did not know why but would escalate it again and communicate shortly.

Following day they actually called and said that they got a response from their technical team and the reason the design was gone was caused by our developer who corrupted the code. Keep in mind that the design was created 9 years ago and the developer at this time had no access to our computers or to our eBay Store.

When confronted with these facts, eBay supervisor became silent and said that perhaps it was eBay's firewall. Obviously he lied, but promised to escalate it again and follow up by the end of this evening.

This evening again no solution other than eBay said that we should replace the design and fix what eBay broke ourselves.

To be perfectly frank I am beyond shocked. So, they expect us to fix a design their system damaged.

Not that this matters but we have been on eBay for 14 years, with 100% feedback, 5 stars across and a perfect record to date.

Never in my life did I experience such a blatant display of neglect and unprofessionalism.

Please, tell your readers who have store design on their home page to check it and make sure that this eBay firewall or whatever technical issues they are experiencing does not do damage to others.

The last rep who communicated - suggested that we contact eBay's legal dept. and see what options were available. Personally I believe it is eBay who should consult their legal department and learn what is their responsibility when their system caused damage which harmed us in a way that can be measured financially.

All the best,
Ania

eBay Blames Glitch for Corrupted Store Images   eBay Blames Glitch for Corrupted Store Images

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Jan 1 03:45:49 2017

For the past year I have been dealing with various photos becoming corrupted. I have spent countless, exhausting hours trying to determine the source and in coming up with some sort of fix. Seems several of my photos became completely unusable once eBay got a hold of them. It also seems to be an issue with Microsoft windows 10. Editing has become a big problem. It is almost like eBay took/stole complete ownership of my images.

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 1 16:46:55 2017

I don't know which is worse:
- Having the issue you are having and the damage caused and the amount of work it will take by you to fix it; or
- Having to deal with ebay ''customer service'' in the Philippines or Vietnam and the utter disrespect shown to a long-time Top-Rated seller by $3 an hour idiots that live in grass huts.  This is how they treat their top sellers...simply unbelievable.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 2 00:57:01 2017

I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but I did notice that one seller using a well known outside photo service on Ebay took me off Ebay when I clicked on photos of the item. A lot of ad garbage came up with the item I was looking at. I backed out of the page as I did not want to risk a virus.

This user has validated their user name. by: JusTrains

Mon Jan 2 18:07:20 2017

I feel deeply sorry for Ania as I know exactly what she is feeling. For more than a year my listings on three sites are continually being attacked by eBay's system software and/or eBay's Turbo Lister software. My photo's are often being either stripped from the listing or corrupted or the self-hosting option is reset to eBay's hosting. In any event, I have to go manually into each and every listing and re-upload the image or reset the self-hosting tab for pictures and insert the html picture source. It's such a time consuming effort that is just plain aggravating. A waste of precious time! Even more so when I re-list an item that was showing perfectly well but now does not!

Over the last several months, not only are my pictures faulting, but eBay is stripping my listing ad copy from the listing completely! Not just parts, but all of my templates that have been in use since at least 2005. For those listing I have to rebuild the listing from scratch. Since I sell antiques & collectibles, almost every item I have is unique so if I can't re-upload from TL2 (which is becoming even more of an ongoing problem) then whatever ad copy I had written, is lost. I'd have to go back and re-do my research and write new ad copy, and you know what? I ain't doing it! Those listing get deleted and I'll go back to them sometime in the future when I have time. If I have time.

I have contacted CSR's till the cows come home and rarely do I get anywhere with them. They are "trained" to deal with noobie questions and basic cheat sheet answers. But they know nada, ziltch, zero about anything beyond that - including how to repair my problems. Or should I say, THEIR problems. I recently was told that a 'specialist' would contact me, and sure enough they did and we exchanged three emails before I was told how to submit backup files so that they could de-bug the problem. Shortly after uploading thosing files per their instructions, I get a polite email back saying "this is not an email address yad yada... and would you please telephone eBay and talk to a CSR." Really? What happened to the CSR that was expecting my files? Was he fired? Did he quit? I mean, c'mon folks... who's running the show here?

So, I pretty much missed the Christmas sales this year because I couldn't get enough time in the day to fix 100 plus listings be hand.

My heart has gone stone cold towards eBay. They talk like sweet honey but they are really snakes with forked tongues. DON'T TRUST THEM TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH! Or help you beyond the basics.

by: Ania This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 2 18:49:31 2017

Thank you JusTrains and I feel your pain. I will not let ebay get away with this and will continue to contact them and speak to supervisors till this is resolved or they pay for damage done

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jan 3 08:22:20 2017

Maybe a newbie id will chime in and just call us all haters.

Business as usual at eBay.