Fri Dec 16 2016 12:53:58

Antiques Dealer Seeks Help Optimizing Listings

By: Reader

I receive your newsletter daily. We have had a shop on Ruby Lane for 13 years and with so many changes to online selling we are looking for an expert - preferably with Ruby Lane - to help us tweak our listings - keywords in particular.

Do you know of someone we can hire/use?
Thanks,
Linda

Note from the editor: Has anyone had any success optimizing listings and keywords directly or through an expert, particularly for vintage and antique items? Feel free to share your advice!

Antiques Dealer Seeks Help Optimizing Listings   Antiques Dealer Seeks Help Optimizing Listings

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 16 13:30:35 2016

Most sellers won't revel their secrets to their listings. That said if and when you find out let the rest of us know.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Dec 17 10:59:02 2016

Do a search for "keywords for online marketing" (no quotes). There are millions of articles returned, and you'll probably be able to find just the information you are looking for.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sat Dec 17 11:01:25 2016

Is the consensus to do it yourself, rather than hire someone?

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 17 14:34:04 2016

Linda, why not go right to Ruby Lane and ask for suggestions and ideas ? They certainly will help - their success depends on your success! The fees you pay include helping you maximize your listings!

There is a Shop Checkup page you can start with, under ''Selling Successfully'' on your Shop Owners Home page.

Otherwise you can try the HELP function and either live chat or send management an email. Ask for your message to be routed to ''Marketing'' and word it as you did your original post here.

There also are sure to be some ''Extra Extra'' forum posts about optimizing your descriptions. Look under ''Shop Owner Forums'' on your Shop Owner Home page.

I have sold on Ruby Lane since 2000.  Honestly I don't think ''keywords'' usage snagging potential customers has changed much, if at all. What HAS changed so dramatically is the graphics and visuals especially reworking them for mobile devices. (The big reason RL is requiring the AIP photos.)

Re keywording, work as many possible descriptive words into your listing as you can (but avoid ''keyword spam'' which means inserting a word that does not really describe your item but will appear in a search and potentially annoy shoppers by leading them astray).

The big thing I am noticing is that shop owners are putting the word ''Vintage'' or ''Antique'' as the lead word in their item titles. Supposedly helps in Google searches.

On a related topic, choose the category where you will encounter the most likely purchasers. (Personally I think most of my own customers are keyword searches, but indeed some do start with categories.)

Consider who is most likely to buy and what category they'll go to first (if they don't use keyword searching first). For example, Ruby Lane says all ''jewelry'' must be in the Jewelry category. HOWEVER, for example, it's more likely a train collector will first look in the ''Railroadiana'' category for retirement pins and badges, rather than ''Jewelry.'' RL has never given me a hard time about my listing categories, when I explain the rationale behind my choices. I use the category where I think the most buyers will be looking.

GOOD LUCK - ! I hope you can get some good advice - there are some excellent suggestions in the posts above I hope you will try.

by: EssexEstateServices This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 19 00:34:04 2016

Linda, you are probably the best one the optimize your own listings. We sell nothing but vintage and it's more about exposure then keywords.

You have to thing klike a buyer and anticipate the things they might be looking for. It's easier with antiques and collectibles since the buyers probably use the same words you word use to describe your things.

Keep the title crammed with keywords and avoid words that don't add anything. Adjectives that aren't relevant shouldn't be used.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 19 01:11:44 2016

I have found that just the facts are the most important things and then if you still have space in your title to ad more words that are also facts. For instance (I know nothing about RL)if you sell internationally, do you know what someone in the UK or AU would call your item? Do they spell it differently? If so list it like that as well. For instances the word pajamas if also spelled pyjamas depending on where you are and if I have room in my title I will put in both words. Thus you can grab the buyer by whichever spelling they are using.

The other thing is don't load your title up with words like gorgeous, beautiful, sexy, etc. Nobody is going to use those words to hunt for things yet some sellers have their whole titles focused with those words to the point they literally forget to tell accurately WHAT they are selling!

I urge caution with the words antique and vintage. I see those words used too frequently and on items that are not antique or vintage (at least in my mind). If you are selling a vase if you know it is from ~1860, much better to say circa 1860 than antique. It gives a buyer a sense of just how old it is and that you know what you are selling. Same with trying to say that something is vintage and it was made in 1998 and has a UPC on it. It is vintage compared to what? That means it is only 18 years old and not too many things are vintage at that point.

I think that there should be people that could help you, but I suspect that they wouldn't get too many buyers for their services since so many sellers don't want to pay for help. Obviously big companies pay for this kind of help, but I've never heard of anyone that hires out for it.

by: Carol This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 19 01:15:45 2016

If you happen also to be on etsy, they have very good tutorials on seo (search engine optimization, the fancy term for using the right keywords and other methods to help your items get found in searches) that are easy to understand and apply across the web.

Like most things in life keywords aren't rocket science but neither can they be condensed to 25 words or less and learned in 10 minutes with no effort.

A good place to learn enough to use good keywords is either youtube or just googling ''ecommerce keywords'' (without the quotes).  If the discussion uses a lot of technical words in the first couple of paragraphs, I'd look for something else.  You don't need to worry about getting something extremely recent - specific methods aren't published anyway, and the general idea hasn't changed in many years.

by: bb6 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 19 10:42:49 2016

You should just take the time to do research and learn everything yourself. A lot of sites change how their searches work and if you pay someone to do it and something changes on a site you will have to pay someone again. Just research online, study a couple different platforms. A good thing about ebay is you can see sold listings, so do a search for something you have or close to it, see what is selling and look at their titles to see what worked. Also a big one is study your competition. See what key words they are using. If you are only selling 1 off items that only you have, then the best thing you can do is load the items up with as many key words as you can and market them better to get more eyes on them in hopes that there is someone out there that wants that one of a kind item. The whole process will give you a better inside view on what sells. Also if you pay for someone to do it they may not know your market as well you and they may use the wrong key words. Example You list a Babe Ruth bat. Key words that you or a fan might look up but a programmer might not know are Bambino Yankees Hall of Fame.

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 20 12:13:21 2016

When I had my last website, I responded to an E-Mail solicitation from a web consulting company north of the border.  They promised to continually update my website with the best keywords improving hits and sales with search engines.

They got 20 some bucks from me monthly, and I received no improvement in sales.  I guess a dealer cannot buy success.

But for free, eBay (as much as we hate to say it) is one of the best sources to research current antique and vintage listings plus what has sold and for how much.  You may research the larger more successful dealers and learn from them what is working (for them).

And diversify, diversify, and more diversification  As an old successful rug told his grandsons: ''Customers are like thieves in the night.  No one knows when or where they will strike.''

If you are only on one selling site, many shoppers will never find you.

Now print this out, take the page to McDonald's and with this printed advice and a buck, you will receive a free small coffee (on me).

Good Luck!!!