Thu Dec 15 2016 14:11:40

Buyers Are Unpredictable when Things Go Awry

By: Reader

In another example of eBay being heavy-handed with sellers:

I sold an electric motor on eBay (which I tested before selling). Buyer got it, said it didn't work.

I said send it back ... it worked when I sent it ... let me test it. Well, return shipping was expensive because motors are heavy. Neither of us was too excited about that plan.

I said, how about I give you 1/2 your money back (1/2 the total - shipping and motor)? He said he'd be fine with that - I did it, then he left me crappy feedback. Apparently "fine" didn't mean to him what it meant to me.

I sent him the OTHER HALF of the money back, but because he'd deleted the transaction from his buyer log, apparently he could not remove the negative feedback without calling eBay and wasting a lot of time which, (somewhat understandably) he didn't want to do.

I called eBay - they looked at the emails we'd swapped and saw that I had FULLY REFUNDED him all of his money still would not take the negative FB off my record. "Sorry ... the buyer has to contact us."

Really? Oh well.
Jim

Buyers Are Unpredictable when Things Go Awry   Buyers Are Unpredictable when Things Go Awry

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Dec 15 20:28:51 2016

@Jim (OP) - Welcome to the joys of selling on eBay, where you do everything right and still get screwed.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Dec 16 07:21:37 2016

Sadly, a great seller's word, even one who has a very long tenure and has a stellar selling record has no credibility with eBay.

Reputable companies give great customers like these some sort of "platinum" status but at eBay your loyalty and selling record mean nothing.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Fri Dec 16 10:05:14 2016

This is why I cringe at shipping anything large & heavy anymore sold through eBay.

Savvy buyers know full well that they can cry ''SNAD'', and the seller would have to pay shipping both ways. So this can and is used as leverage to obtain a discount.

On Amazon, they ADVISE you to pay the return costs if an item is faulty or not as described. And, once you receive the item back, YOU can determine what the problem is / was with the item, and do what is best for YOUR BUSINESS.

On eBay, this is a REQUIREMENT, forced onto the seller. And say bye-bye to your restock fee (to cover your original shipping costs). And, on Amazon, a 50% restocking fee can be collected if a new, sealed item is returned. No such luxury on eBay- the max is 20%.

I am not extolling the virtues of selling on the River, because it also isn't perfect by any means. But most anyone who sells on both platforms would agree that their return policies are not nearly as tilted in the buyer's favor as the Bay.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Fri Dec 16 10:49:10 2016

"No good deed goes unpunished" eBay's seller motto

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Dec 16 21:50:22 2016

Sellers can send buyers requests for feedback revision so no phone calls are necessary.

html

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Sat Dec 17 10:18:57 2016

OP: ''Buyer deleted transaction from his buyer log.....''

Baloney. Send him the item number so he can access the information on the sale.

Then he can change the feedback. And if he does not comply, report as a problem buyer.

Yes, I know, eBay won't probably do anything here, but it sounds like this is not the buyer's first rodeo regarding shaking down a seller for a refund.

by: Noneya This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 19 00:31:34 2016

These partial refund ie: Post Sale Forced Discount scams are what drove me off Ebay in 2008. I have not sold anything through them since.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Dec 19 07:01:07 2016

Noneya, I too have always called these the after sale discount. And that is actually what most of them are aiming for. With us it is return the item for a full refund or you get nothing.

Any seller who is giving into these buyers are only enabling them to keep doing it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Dec 19 15:20:06 2016

Jim

If the FB you are trying to get changed happen within the past 30 days, you may still be able to get your buyer to change the FB.  But you need to do a couple things.  Don't send your buyer chasing anything.  If you haven't read this recent blog here, I encourage you to read through it.

16/12/1482031271.html/1/0#1482177191

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 21 10:35:56 2016

Feedback Revision... other thread: http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl?/pl/2016/12/1482031271.
html