Sat Dec 3 2016 21:42:02

eBay Turns Blind Eye to Seller Violations

By: Reader

I hope this letter can reach the ears of readers and eBay alike. For the last 3 months I've been repeatedly been reporting a seller on eBay for major site violations in which eBay has done nothing to resolve the issue. I called Multiple times, emailed Multiple times and they always tell me it will be resolve thanks for coming out.

Today I had my final straw, I feel as if eBay no longer cares about dealing with sellers that violate their polices just as long as that seller makes them money. The seller I would like to call out is (links to 3 seller accounts).

Now, if you actually look at this seller you will find a lot of odd things.

1. Feedback Manipulation - There show obvious signs that this seller has been manipulating the feedback system in order to obtain top rated seller status and also inflate their feedback to make it look like they sold much more, also to hide the negative feedback's they received for being terrible sellers, which is of no surprise and this is done for all the account if you take a look at the history you will find a clear pattern of the same buyer buying very cheap items many times.

2. Registered in Israel, but claims to be shipping from the USA which is unlikely since some feedback complained about it being shipped from outside the USA.

3. Multiple high dollar selling limit accounts with no selling experience other than the fake feedback how is that even possible? Most of the accounts got registered just last year and already listing over 800k with such activity?

4. Duplicates - All the accounts you see are duplicated, if you notice the only thing different is the background color of the photos, to make it look like their different items, but it's all the same.

Now when I first called eBay (called Multiple people to make sure it got reported) they "all" told me that for sure this was a bad seller and that it would get taken care of, 3 months go by and nothing has been done about this seller. I went on to report this issue to someone at eBay direct via email in which he replied to just report it on eBay, he basically didn't care.. is this the attitude of the new eBay ?

It makes me wonder how serious eBay really is about Trust and Safety? Or is it more interested in money at the end of the day?

Hope this letter can shed light on this issue and have some type of resolve as a seller I work hard to maintain my standards and for other sellers that behave badly and not be dealt with is rather irritating.

Veronica

eBay Turns Blind Eye to Seller Violations   eBay Turns Blind Eye to Seller Violations

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Dec 4 02:38:29 2016

Verinica

You are absolutely right.  There are plenty of people that will post they agree with you and feel your pain.  I've had similar issues over the years and so have many other responsible sellers.

I unfortunately don't know any way to get your point across.  There doesn't seem to be a way that I've found.  They just don't listen.  They say they do, but them months, even years later in some cases, those sellers are continuing to do the same darn thing over and over and over again.

The only way I can think of to get some action on this is to try to get some news outlet to take an interest.  Ebay tends to react to this kind of pressure.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Dec 4 02:39:13 2016

Whoops, sorry I did a typo in your name.  That certainly should read Veronica.  My apologies.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 4 06:24:10 2016

You need to understand. You are spinning your wheels. EBAY DOESN'T CARE.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE BOTTOM LINE.

Time for you to move on.....THATS WHAT THE BACK BUTTON IS FOR.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 4 07:20:14 2016

I's even worse than that, Veronica.  The 'report a seller' button is just a placebo.

Not only will they fail to act on factually existent violations such as that described, even when 'promised', they will routinely accuse a 'less profitable' lower volume seller of some alleged violation, and then swiftly judge and sanction THEM without proof, due process, or appeal.

And then point to THAT example of their 'concern', when called to task over their lack of 'trust and safety'.

See, EFFECTIVE T/S is expensive, and were it to be enacted, would surely also diminish their ability to point to growth in listng count, as well as severely impact their number of 'pages' upon which to lace paid ads.

There is no need to actually enforce policy that can be detrimental, as long as they can get away with simply appearing to do it.

Just as there is no need to act on their 'promise' which is readilly given simply to end you call faster.

P.S.  Guess who becomes a target for greater scrutiny now?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Dec 4 12:53:32 2016

@snapped

OH good grief, everything isn't a conspiracy!  If your closing statement were true, I and a whole lot of other sellers I know of would not be around anymore.

I'm not making light of what Veronica is speaking of because it is a real problem.  But because you participate in TRYING to get something done about it does NOT make you a ''target''.

What your statement does do is help perpetuate the problem on Ebay.  It discourages and scares some people from getting involved in trying to fix the problem when in fact what we need is participation.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 4 16:39:59 2016

'Good grief' is an oxymoron.  So is eBay trust and safety.  And I and a lot of sellers *I* know of are not around anymore for this reason (among too many others to itemize here).  And what some would dismiss as a mere 'conspiracy theory' has also actually happened to me and a lot of sellers I know of too.

eBay doesn't need any help from me to 'perpetuate the problem' either.  It has existed for quite some time, to the point even THEY had to pretend to acknowledge it by providing that completely ineffective 'report button'.

Moreover, it contnues.  This certainly isn't the first time such frustration expressed by the OP has been expressed, nor the most recent, and I contend it won't be the last, no matter how much participation may occur to try to address it.

eBay coined a phrase for participation too.  They called it "noise".  When in fact, most of that noise was made by sellers who were not moaning and bashing, rather WERE actually participating and suggesting because they had in investment in eBay succeeding,

Now eBay had two choices how to address that noise, so to reduce or eliminate it.  Either listen to it's merits, or ignore it, and stifle it by unmerited sanction.  I haven't seen ANY evidence of the former.  But I have seen evidence of the latter.  Lots f it.

Of course, it COULD all be just cooincidental.  Every time.  Though after a constant and never changing diet, even the most ardent tuna lover must be able to taste the dolphins in the dishes served by eBay by now, no matter how many complaints to the chef are made by them or the other hungry masses.

And  perhaps not.  Perhaps there IS hope for eBay doing right.

But until they DO, eBay ethics is an oxymoron too.  Despite what anybody 'believes' there may be to fear, OR hope for.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Dec 4 16:49:09 2016

@snapped

Ebay didn't coin the word "noise" when referring to sellers, JD did.  A person that ran Ebay at the time coined it.

You certainly have the right to say nothing can be done about it and therefore will not expend any time or energy to try and fight something, I respect that.  You need to do whatever is best for you.

In this specific case as explained by Mr. Traver, it is my opinion he has a couple of other things he can do that might make the outcome a little different.  It may not work, but in IMHO it is worth a try if one is so inclined.  Again, I respect the fact that it is your opinion it is better just to accept the outcome and move on.  We just simply disagree which isn't a big deal.

by: strife This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 4 20:22:02 2016

@Marie

"Most of the sellers that post here that are no longer selling on Ebay, did so by choice not force."

Of course...They chose to leave after eBay made the climate completely unlivable. I can speak of numerous sellers I know who have experienced this but I can speak of myself as my thriving business was basically shut down. little did I know that my doing eBay's work for them and reporting sellers who were flagrantly violating the rules would brand me a nuisance and lead to my business being crushed.

by: strife This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 4 20:35:30 2016

It took me a while to figure out because there were so many things happening all at once but there had to of been something that triggered it. eBay didn't just all of a sudden one day decide that all of my sales would disappear over night.

I hounded them about the problem with Chinese listings walking all over listings in categories they didn't even belong in taking all of the top "Best Match" spots. All of a sudden what was 2-3k/month and steadily climbing is now an account that goes 3 weeks without a single sale. Nothing else changes.

The problems reported are as bad as ever, maybe even worse and the only result was that I no longer make enough sales to even consider eBay a viable venue. No one at eBay can tell me why mysteriously my items no longer sell when similar items sell all around me. Not identical as the type of items I sell are rarely identical to others but similar in genre, age etc that collectors would be just as interested in mine as anyone else's except my don't sell anymore for some reason.

I could even point you to a seller who does huge business selling counterfeit Herend figurines and eBay couldn't care less, except that if you report them time and time again be prepared to kiss your account goodbye.

BTW This and my previous post were supposed to be all one post but I hit the post button by accident...apologies :{)=

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Dec 4 22:40:24 2016

@strife

Yes, I agree with you.  Lots of great sellers have left Ebay for a variety of reasons, but that was not what I was addressing with the other poster.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 4 23:39:25 2016

I agree with you Veronica. I don't remember how many times I reported those sellers to eBay to no avail.

Is a total waste of time to deal with eban or preypay CS.

The site has turned in to a nightmare especially when searching for a product. Is filled with countless pages of the same Chinese crap-ola.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 4 23:51:29 2016

Marie ... (as much as I love you 'n all) .... if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck .. then it IS a duck.

There are WAY too many things that happen or that DONT happen for them to be random or made up. The sheer number of coincidences boggle the mind.

Its not a coincidence that eBay finds for the buyer 99 out of 100 times when it comes to returns.

Its not a coincidence that eBay gets paid by Vero members to remove people they dont like/want selling their items.

Its NOT sheer coincidence that eBay ignores its own policy pages, be it in returns or in other areas.

Its NOT coincidence that sales come in bunches and only from certain states (Im fairly certain that ND, NE, SD, OK and a few other states DO have internet and have someone there buying on eBay)(but I digress).

Its no coincidence that eBay forced people who want to sue them to NOT be part of a class action suit - since suing them "by yourself" is almost IMPOSSIBLE - it was done ON PURPOSE.

Its no coincidence that "Seller Protection" became a myth - the Kyser Soze of the internate

I could of course go on and on, but I think the point is made.

As well, I certainly dont know anyone on planet earth who has used eBay - whose reported items or buyers - and then has found that "something has happened because of the complaint". Ive reported fake goods FOR YEARS and nothing happens. The flakes are sometimes SO BAD they make you laugh .... but it seems that at that point eBay is just a venue, while when VERO comes with thier BS, eBay is a managed marketplace (yes VERO BS since the last time I tangled with them they used WIKIPEDIA as a legal source)(I mean really dude ... wtf?)(that was to them not you Marie)

As far as sellers leaving .... when your "partner" steals from you - what else is there do to? Gonna write your senator? they dont care. gonna write your congressman, your mayor, file a USPS report, call Pres Obama? what? After X amount of abuse - you simply leave - and either give up selling or go to Amazon.

Noise is how the last CEO felt about Sellers - use, abuse, discard - and his evil legacy still rules over at eBay and now Paypal.

Snapped is right - its a dog n pony show over in San Jose, just keep taking FVFs for shipping that you arent entitled too, keep the bad buyers comming back because you ONLY grew %3 vs Amazons %58 ... and all will be well.

Lets hope someone, anyone can make eBay great again (DT maybe?) lol

by: imbloated This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 5 00:21:12 2016

Ebay Trust and Safety department motto: "We trust that we can safely ignore all complaints."

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Dec 5 02:45:25 2016

@pace306

My ONLY point was that Ebay is not shutting sellers down that report other members for whatever reason they feel that other member is being reported for.

I get it that Ebay does all kinds of stuff that many of us don't like or agree with, but sometimes it is paranoia talking and nothing more.

This is my opinion.  But if you know of sellers that were shut down JUST because they reported other members, I'd be very interested to hear about it as I'm sure others would be too.

I am not talking about slow sales, hidden listings, and all the other stuff that Ebay certainly does.  I was SPECIFICALLY talking about a seller getting booted for the fact they reported other members for some infraction of the rules.

Some seem to make much more out of what I said than I actually said!!!!!!!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: sba55

Mon Dec 5 08:08:28 2016

If the poster would spend more time promoting their business and less worrying about someone else she would be better off.

There is a line from a song that applies here, "if you mind your own business you won't have time to mind mine".

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 5 10:46:30 2016

The only violations that get any real attention are the ones that the bots catch.

Feedback doesn't even count any more towards selling status.

As long as this guy fulfills his orders 98-99% of the time with a minimum of charge-backs and non-receipt claims, nobody at Ebay is going to care about your complaints.

For all they know you're someone trying to shut down a competitor...

OH WAIT - you ARE somebody trying to shut down your competitor!!!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 5 14:02:28 2016

I  have  to  agree  with  @MARIE--I  don't  personally  know  any  one--buyer or seller--who  has  been "FORCED"  off  of ebay BECAUSE  they dared to  complain  about  a  seller  using  ebay to sell  faked  items.

I  think  that  would  have to have  much more proof  than-This guy  reported  seller XYZ  to ebay for selling  fake Lladro (lets  say)  and  then  the seller got some sort of a red  flag--their  listings  were given  the  boot;  THEY were  accused of  selling  fakes;  ebay warned them  of  selling  whatever  and  threatened to shut  their  account  down.

Now--I am NOT saying  that  nothing  like this has ever happened;  just  that *I* do not  know  of  any case  where  this has  occurred.  I  too  would very much  like to know  of  some one HAS had  this sort of thing happen and WHAT  went  on.

Many many sellers HAVE  left  because  they  found  the site  getting  worse and worse  with  few views,  too much offshore  crap  shown;  losing views  TO  this crap--ie  when  you search  for  "boots"  you get a few hundred  listings  for NOT BOOTS -- a few categories I search  regularly  turn  up  hundreds if  not thousands of--NOT WHATEVERS.

The eBay  of  today  does  in  many ways--suck.  I  try and sell  there--and  find  myself  buying  LESS  there even tho I DO try and support  fellow  sellers---but--if I can't  FIND what I  need--I am going to move  on.  And  I  suspect that THIS is what is  driving a LOT  of  sellers  away.  Ebay does NOTHING  tp  weed out  fakes and bad  sellers OR bad  buyers.  How come no other company has  sprung  up to challenge  them--as  in a Chevy vs Ford  sort of a way--I  dunno.  Tis a puzzlement.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 5 23:53:32 2016

I'm not certain how taking an action that may make one a ''target for greater scrutiny'' morphed into being ''forced off eBay'', since the latter implication was not intended in context.

However, whenever one rises above the herd, so to speak, it does indeed render the riser more of a target to any hunter.  That's why animals try to avoid it, and where the phrase 'sticking one's neck out' originates.  And why such caution against it often follows.  The worthiness to heed such, of course, is a matter of ''choice''.

Had I written, 'guess who's 'listings' become a target for greater scrutiny now', perhaps that would have better reflected both intent, and the unfortunate reality.  Maybe even precluded being misread.

Meanwhile, regarding any 'choice' that may occur relative to ending one's tenure on eBay, I would contend that being faced with such a dilemma - it being a dillema when the choice 'hang on hopefully' would involve subjecting oneself to continued unmerited disadvantage to any degree - and then dismissing such dillema as no more than an 'option' without just cause (which in this case is topic related), is simply splitting hairs.  Why indeed would one choose to shutter an otherwise ongoing profitable venture, unless that choice was in some fashion 'forced'?  The fashion referenced here for example.  A disadvantage resulting from a combination of lack of action by a venue to enforce rules (per the OP) that they AGREED were being violated, that results in manifestly unfair competition, for example.  I mean, SHOULD that 'competitor' be allowed to remain a venue scofflaw?

Of course, one may choose to hope for the best, knowing such is not inherently fatal, per se.  And overlook how it's been eight years now.  32 quarters.  Tens of thousands of reports and such.  With no end in sight.

And much less to choose from, every day.

by: beverly This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 6 17:36:50 2016

have better one for you all. purchased a ring that said 1.97 carat ruby. received ring and stone was less than 1/2 carat. return ring with note to seller that stone was not 1.97 carat.

and what do you know.. seller relisted ring with same description of 1.97 carat stone. reported to ebay and they did nothing. poor buyer who does know how to measure a stone.

by: HillarysHouston This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 20 03:42:46 2017

I know that this is a post from last year but since I found it via search engine, I'm assuming others will as well and that's why I wanted to address the issue and offer a quick solution.
Ebay is a well oiled  machine (yes a good portion of that lubricant is the blood sweat and many many tears of its legally abiding buyer's and sellers) outsourced, automated and built on layer upon layer of constantly upgraded and reformatted codes. So many codes in so many countries and don't even get me started on the various binary and html languages and what have you.
Imagine it's Christmas eve and your Christmas lights go out RIGHT before the whole family gathered around granny's tree, stupid matching Sweaters and all. Well this won't do, so Aunt Jennifer sends you to the only open hardware store on Christmas Eve. The store owner Chris looks at the bulb and says to you, yes they do have a strand of lights that will work and he will find it later and swap out the bulb for you. After you insist A LOT that it needs instant attention and can't wait until tomorrow, ol Chris tells you he has to fly but if you want to look for yourself here's the key just lock up when you're done.
You run to the door he pointed at that reads LIGHTS. Only when you open it up you see an Olympic sized pool that has been drained and over filled with tangled lights of all shapes and sizes. Little workers run in and out of the pile untangling and sorting a string at a time. You ask for help but the pointy eared little guys just ignore you and keep on their task. Finally overwhelmed and out of time you lock up behind yourself and head home. Sans the working lights.
You tell them the story of that fat good for nothing old meanie but every one is just slack jawed and staring at you.
It seems that the owner of the shop is a young Asian couple who certainly don't have a room with a pool. Or little elf sized employees.
So without further retelling of the complexity of what you witnessed you apologize and say that the Xmas pic is ruined.
Granny's laughing pulls you out of your funk and she asks you to give her the box that the lights came in. She puts on her glasses and points to a phone Number on the box that your brother dials for her then hands her the phone.
5 min later and an uber driver just picked up the package from Walmart and should be there in 30 min.
So then your little neice asks you ''So how come you went to Santa on CHRISTMAS EVE and asked him to help you? Why come you didn't go right to the source in the first place?'' She further analyses that If the elves stopped fixing the lights to help you then other people who want help now would go ask for it from the elves too. Eventually all the time spent looking for the problem finding a solution and implementing it would leave no manpower for the lights that decorated every town square in the world.
So now you feel kinda small and insignificant in ''light'' of things (pun) But your problem WAS valid and you did need help. But you went to the big guys when you should have gone right to the original manufacturer or distributer.

In conclusion. EBay is more worried about keeping the lights on, so to speak, for an entire world of individuals, than they are about taking the time to fix one burnt out bulb, no matter how important it is to the person who is standing in the dark.
You can't fix the system. You're as unlikely to change anything within eBay as you are to find Santa's workshop and a room full of elves.
What you CAN do, is side step the giant and go to the person who is ACTUALLY being hurt by this situation.

Herend.

They take copyright infringement seriously. They won't just kick them off ebay where they will just pop up in minutes under a new name. Nope they will go at this seller with the full power of the American justice system behind them. Yes we absolutely can shut down sellers in other countries. By having them flagged and prohibited  from using customers to import or export to the USA.
Here's the precidence for the case that Herend had against a company in Houston.

.Murphy, and Joszef Kovacs, director of The Herend Porcelain Manufactory, have stated that they, and their companies will continue to investigate and take action against any companies or persons found to be dealing in counterfeit Herend porcelain, worldwide. Meetings have been scheduled with the U.S. Customs Service to enlist their support in preventing the importation of counterfeit Herend porcelain.

You can read the rest free on line just do a search for herend counterfeit claims..
Next time you see someone selling another person's intellectual property, go tell the person who owns the trademark and let them handle it.
Hope you found this entertaining. -Hillary Marek