Wed Nov 30 2016 16:40:05

eBay Chides Seller over Its Own Blunder

By: Reader

OK - new eBay member registers his user name as mostly his email address - when I go to answer (his message) eBay blocks it saying I am violating policy by including an email address in the message!

I tried 3 times - all I was going to say was it is worth more than (his offer). I finally figured out it is the goofball's name that is stopping me from answering! But it is OK for him to register that name and for him to send me a message?
K.

eBay Chides Seller over Its Own Blunder   eBay Chides Seller over Its Own Blunder

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Nov 30 17:27:52 2016

Sometimes there is just no way to make sense of Ebay's logic or lackthereof.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 30 22:55:39 2016

Just think of what is logical then do the opposite - thats how eBay works (or doesnt work)

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Nov 30 23:25:40 2016

I think "K." (OP) should telephone eBay and demand that the user in question be NARU'd for embedding his e-mail address in his registered ID.

by: Jester This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 1 00:16:21 2016

I have had a very similar incident happen where I could not use $ or numbers like 29.99 in the message trying to explain something to the customer. I just gave up.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Thu Dec 1 00:30:26 2016

Yikes! so every seller who answers a message from this idiot may get whacked by eBay?

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 1 00:31:27 2016

Try referring the customer to the correct ebay item number in a best offer. It accuses you of trying to send the buyer your phone number.

by: kazaly This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 1 05:24:24 2016

We can't do this and we can't do that for fear we may sell off-site.
Yet eBay see no problem in posting sponsored off-site links to other commercial websites.
Like Marie, I just shake my head at the illogic of the way this business is run.

by: lessthanthreerecords This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 1 06:40:34 2016

I had a similar issue a while back where I was unable to create a listing because eBay automatically (electronically) accused me of including my e-mail address in the text of the description.  Funny thing was, I did NOT have my (or any other) e-mail address there!  After calling eBay, it turned out that it was due to my use of the @ symbol (NOT in the form of an e-mail address).  The eBay associate on the phone recommended that I use "at" instead of the symbol.  While that would be fine in most cases, this was a unique case.  It was a live album that specifically used the @ symbol in the title.  There was a much rarer first-pressing that used the word "at."  So, if I was to use "at" instead of @, some buyers may think I was selling the first-pressing which was probably worth several hundred dollars rather than $20 or $25.  I explained this to the eBay associate and asked if I would be protected against a SNAD claim.  I was told that claims would only be decided after they were opened (in other words, no answer was given).  I sold the album through Discogs with no problem.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 1 09:04:05 2016

@kazaly

The reason is simple ..... and Marie understands it too (shes a very smart lady)

If a seller makes an off eBay sale, eBay gets nothing and MAYBE paypal makes something (or maybe not even that).

Those ads on eBay that lead a buyer off eBay - eBay doesnt "loose" since they made money off the advertiser.

As long as there is money to be made (off someones misery) eBay is there.

eBay makes money off VERO, eBay makes money off shipping (that its got nothing to do with), eBay makes money off ads, eBay makes money off Global Shipping amounts, eBay collects taxes and Duties that need not be collected, the short of it is .. follow the money.

eBay is neither altruistic, a true partner or even a friend - they are your adversary. They became that the minute they stopped being a neutral platform.

LMFAO - try getting some of that "good ole' Seller Protection" !

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 1 10:29:16 2016

> I think ''K.'' (OP) should telephone eBay and demand
> that the user in question be NARU'd for embedding his
> e-mail address in his registered ID.

Second that! If the user can't get clarification via Ask Seller a Question because the seller can't respond, the odds of a SNAD dispute later are much higher.

For right now, the seller might be able to answer by adding the relevant details to his description, or at minimum, put the buyer on his Blocked Bidder List.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Dec 1 11:45:20 2016

My ebay ID looks like a web address

z50com

I kick myself for not putting that dot in there when I could've at the time!

by: wasteland-mechanic This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 1 12:03:36 2016

The masters of mindless micromanagement strike again.

by: ellisdtripp This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 1 12:18:17 2016

Trying to deal with eBay's BS is a waste of time. If this is a completed transaction view the sales record and the buyer's email will be there. Send an eBay message such as "chek ur eee mayul" or some such thing. Keep trying until you find something that will get past the eBay bot. Then communicate with the buyer off of eBay. I've done this any number of times.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Dec 2 13:29:46 2016

For many years, ebafia allowed the use of email addresses as members IDs.

They changed it several years ago when some bright ebafia light bulb determined sellers were mining this data to take buyers to their websites.

The apparent fact that a seller can't use certain characters like @ in their communications and a buyer can use their email address is yet another indication how ebafia allocates resources and views us.