Mon Nov 28 2016 22:54:40

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

By: Reader

I wanted to let you know about a message eBay sent me (copied below). It is yet another case of eBay demonizing the seller (me) when it is the buyer who is at fault.

In the message, they state (falsely) that I tried to sell an item outside of eBay, thus violating their terms. I only received one message about the item in question (which did not sell on eBay or off).

In that message, the buyer sent me their phone number and asked if I could lower my international shipping price. Let me restate that: the BUYER sent ME their phone number. I never sent them any contact information, nor did I request theirs. I never called or messaged them by phone, and I never stated that I would do so.

In my reply (through eBay), I simply stated that my shipping prices were firm. So, the buyer potentially violated eBay's terms (although, even that is a stretch, as they didn't specifically offer to buy the item off eBay or even ask me to contact them by phone - just provided their number), but I (the seller) am given the "warning" and read the riot act.

Warning - Offers to sell outside of eBay

Hello (redacted),
We've reviewed your account and determined that you haven't followed our offers to buy or sell outside of eBay policy.

This email is regarding item number (redacted).

Offers to buy or sell outside of eBay, including providing contact information within a member-to-member message, are not allowed. Not following this policy in the future may result in restriction of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

Sales made outside of eBay could be fraudulent and are not covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee or other buyer protection programs.

We understand that you might not have known that making an offer to buy or sell outside of eBay was against our rules. We encourage you to become familiar with the offers to buy or sell outside of eBay policy.

If you made an attempt to sell outside eBay in order to entice a buyer, we suggest that you send the buyer an offer through eBay instead. This lets you offer a fixed price item to a buyer at a discounted price.

To send a buyer an offer:

Go to My eBay and select Messages.
Open a message from the interested member, and then select Send an offer directly to member.
On the Create your offer page, enter the offer price, quantity (if applicable), and any message to the member (be careful not to share contact information).

After you send the offer, the buyer receives an email with the offer details. The offer automatically expires after 48 hours. If the buyer accepts the offer and completes the purchase, you'll be notified by email.

For more information about sending an offer to a buyer, please visit (link).
Thanks,
eBay

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation   Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 28 23:51:23 2016

EVILbay strikes again!

Blame the seller when they have done no wrong!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Nov 29 02:35:24 2016

This is a prime example of the lack of forethought in programming the bots that roam Ebay looking for members violating one rule or another.  I have no idea why Ebay thinks that this behavior [my them] is OK.  I understand why they have bots, but when they mess with the livelihood of many people, they could at least take more care in the programming.

I hope the person that sent this to Ina is reading this blog.  This has most likely put a strike on your account.  A policy violation is what they use to call them.  I think it would be in your best interest to call Ebay and get to someone that knows something about these for a further explanation.

It won't be a short call and it may take multiple calls to get to someone that can actually offer real information to you, but I think it is in your best interest to call Ebay.  This was clearly improperly applied to you and you need to fight it.

I hope you will come back and give us or Ina an update.  I hope it all works out for you as this is just not right.

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation   Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

by: ebayisscrewed This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 29 02:37:36 2016

Amazing.  Really, amazing.

I had an interesting one today.  Buyer returned 1 item from 8 item order.  We refunded buyer through the return system for returned item.  Day after refund we get a notification that the return has been escalated to case and then an email 1 minute later stating the case is on hold.  Today, 5 days later, eBay closed the case in favor of the buyer refunding them for the entire 8 item order - minus of course the original refund that we refunded previously.

I called in and the issue was resolved super fast with a "we are crediting back everything to you, including the original refund, removing the case, etc."

Something is smelly when they fold so quickly . . .

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Nov 29 02:44:33 2016

Ebay has always handled returns of this nature badly.  They are in the process of giving us the ability to partially refund and still close out stuff.  Some sellers that visit here on a regular basis are in the pilot program for this.

I'm very happy to hear you were able to get it resolved so easily and quickly.  That part is at least a very good thing.

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation   Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 29 04:12:38 2016

eBay, in this case as described (one of thousands daily), is either guilty of being incompetent (ahh yes, the coding of their rampaging 'bots'), or they are purposely acting from a position of assuming seller guilt until innocence is proven.  And good luck with that argument, since the same corporate culture permeates their customer 'support' structure.

One might prevail, but at what completely unnecessary cost?  And if one does?  A robotic ''sorry for any inconvenience''.  Move on.  Nothing to see here folks.

Certainly too, their hypocrisy shows through their 'concern' over potential redirected sales considering THEIR off-site links permeating almost every seller's listings.

Meanwhile, instead of contacting the accused to allow for education, clarification and necessary correction (IF needed), the 'accused' is cited, convicted, and sanctioned without due process, hearing, or trial.

It is the same for any of their unfounded accusations, from any impropriety' in listing content supposed, to blame assgned to a 'defective' transaction, through their vast abuse via VERO.  If you are accused as a seller, you are guilty.
And too often, there need not even be grounds nor even apparent evidence to base such accusation upon.

That's not only acting 'above the law' of this land that nurtures these cretins, it's in arrogant defiance of it.

eBay is the Mac Truck, carelessly mowing down their seller pedestrians in the crosswalk, citing law of gross tonnage advantage.

To be sure, the pedestrian is right of course.  Dead right.

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation   Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 29 09:45:50 2016

If one doesn't have a thick skin they shouldn't be selling on Ebay. A sheet of armor is needed against this horrible company.

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation   Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Nov 29 14:27:32 2016

At least once a month, a buyer sends me their phone number. I ignore it just like the OP did.

I've never had a warning like this from ebafia, but if I do, I will camp next to my phone until ebay removes it from my record.

Ebafia doesn't seem to grasp the simple fact that ebafia's off site ads in our paid for ads not only drives customers off site but has driven and will continue to drive sellers off their site as well.

The slow death spiral initiated by The Ho continues.

Something must be seriously wrong if ebafia is giving out extra Ebafia Bucks during the holiday season.

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation   Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Nov 29 17:16:00 2016

More proof that eBay is in desperation mode, trying to hang onto their measly 3% increase in revenue. They're so afraid that a few dollars in FVFs will be lost, they automatically place the blame on, and threaten, the seller.

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation   Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 29 18:05:50 2016

We have had Ebay bucks of 8 times offered 3 times in the last 10 days. Problem is there is nothing to buy.

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation   Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

by: DonC This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 30 23:54:30 2016

Never underestimate the dumbassitude of Ebay.

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation   Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

by: rapidreader This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 1 00:27:14 2016

The OP might want to look into getting a lawyer to send them a warning letter demanding written retraction of the false charge and verification of removal of any related negative comments or actions.

I wonder if this would qualify as libel. Since email is being used instead of mail for business purpose these days I would guess it's possible.

Probably cost too much, though.

I wish I were a tech genius, for if I were I would try and kickstart a seller owned website to rival the old ebay before Meg Whitman and John Donahoe destroyed it.

I was never a large seller, or even close to middling size.
I just bought books and sold off the ones I didn't want or need along with video games.

It worked well enough for me in the mid to late 90's to cover the cost of my book reading habit.

Wanted it to work for me in late 2008, but it didn't.

For those who make it work and struggle on, More power to you!

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation   Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 1 01:09:00 2016

A company that have made billions off of us and worries about a $0.50 loss. In other words is OK for us to loose money with unscrupulous buyers but not them.

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation   Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

by: rapidreader This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 1 01:16:27 2016

Edit for previous post in case it wasn't clear.

When I said Seller owned, I meant it like Employee owned where each seller owned a piece of the company.

I think it may be the only way small sellers will be able to compete now that you have to try and advertise to your target audience on your own.

Google keeps changing their rules, Ebay doesn't seem to abide by any rules, Bonanza helps you advertise with Google, Bing etc, but doesn't advertise it's site.

Ecrater isn't commonly known, Ebid isn't either and Etsy is mostly known for craft items.

All my comments on the selling websites are based on conversations with family, friends, neighbors,acquaintances and people who ask me about my old Bonanzle shirts and hats.

I'm not sure what Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or any other sites out there do for you sellers. But it all reminds me of a Dick Van Dyke scene in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang where he is trying to sell his hair cut services at the fair against all the other Barkers there.

Seems like struggling to keep from getting lost in the noise to me.

Somewhere along the way I lost the fire and now I cannot find a spark.

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation   Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 1 02:10:13 2016

I am not sure what Ebay hopes to accomplish with this approach beyond upsetting their sellers. Their process needs to be a bit more thorough before sending off accusatory notices. I can understand why Ebay wouldn't want transactions to be taken off of ebay. But is it really such a big problem that it has come to half baked solutions with incomplete assumptions. In my experience, it is more often the buyers that want to work a deal outside of ebay. Their assumption is they will get a better deal if the fee is eliminated. I have only done it once, due to a glitch that didn't allow the buyer to complete his purchase. Ebay deserved to lose their piece of that one.

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation   Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

by: plcombs This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 1 10:08:09 2016

Its this kind of stuff thats lead to an exodus or severe reduction in what sellers offer on the site. For the last decade eBay's "Stated" attitide is, "as long as we have the buyers, the sellers will stay".  They have been dead wrong, BUYERS go to where the merchandise is.

I deal strictly in Antiques, this is what we're seeing across the board in our category.

As a consequence of eBay false assumption about sellers.  A bounty of alternative sites have sprung up or existing ones have grown rapidly as a result.

A few years ago, eBay opted to get rid of LIVE AUCTIONS as their was no future in the Auction model. That company went and started their own site and has since done $44,000,000,000 (yes Bullion) in sales. Check out the growth Invaluable and other sites, all of which have had no problems with recruiting eBay sellers.

We sell on eBay, but have cut our offerings by 80% to 90% in the last few years. Which in dollars is around $60,000 per month less on eBay.

We have no problems finding buyers elsewhere.

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation   Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 1 10:34:46 2016

> I wonder if this would qualify as libel. Since email
> is being used instead of mail for business purpose
> these days I would guess it's possible.

No. It's private correspondence to the party in question, not something about the seller that eBay posted in public view. (The fact that they were also completely wrong about it is a separate issue, and that might be worth pursuing if any negative fallout from it is found.)

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation   Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

by: rapidreader This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 1 16:07:04 2016

Thanks for clarifying that a_c_green.

I suspected that; but wasn't sure where the damage to one's name (business or personal) needed to occur.

Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation   Seller Upset at eBay False Accusation

This user has validated their user name. by: thehosst

Fri Dec 2 00:29:49 2016

Just like Amazon, eBay gives full power to someone in India to decide the outcome for a 10 year seller or an honest seller. Buyer cases, reports, are mostly decided by people who have no clue about what selling online means. Terrible!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Dec 2 02:39:28 2016

@thehosst

While I agree that CSRs location in a foreign country are typically a problem as all too often they do not know the rules much less how to apply them.

But in this case, they had nothing to do with what happened to this seller.  This is due to a Bot that Ebay has programmed to try and identify potential problems in this area.  Yet again a problem with how something was programmed.