Sat Nov 19 2016 17:53:57

Why This Seller Is Leaving eBay after 19 Years

By: Reader

Well my eBay Store is now down to 150 items from a recent high of ~400. I had a 20% off sale several days ago and sold 15 items - I have now not had a sale in 2 days - something is very wrong - buyers are not seeing my items.

I talked w/ two levels of reps at eBay at length and they tell me there is nothing they can do as the defects responsible for my punishment are too old and no data is available (but the defects still stand).

It's all based on 3 contentious "no resolution" defects where I talked w/ eBay reps at the time of the claims and felt everything was OK after the calls. The rating that did it went from 0.25 to 0.35 which took me from top seller to bad deserving nuclear punishment.

(Today a rep told me to immediately agree to all claims where the buyer says "not as described" or I would probably get screwed.)

I am going through my listed items and dumping all low dollar items - I was very angry at first, but now that I know what I am going to do I feel relieved that I am soon going to be done w/ eBay (after 19yrs, ~$1.4mm sales from ~35,000 items).

My present job is to sell as many higher dollar items as I can and get everything to do w/ eBay DONE WITH!!

I wish there was a way to tell all eBay sellers what may be waiting for them!! It would be very rough if you were dependent on eBay for all of your income!!
Yours,
M.

Why This Seller Is Leaving eBay after 19 Years   Why This Seller Is Leaving eBay after 19 Years

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 19 18:11:46 2016

I have been at eBay since 1996. They did this to me in March. I had over 700 unique antique items listed when they cut me down to 250 and deemed me below standard (with 100% feedback, 15000 postives, and solid stars). They did nothing for me. I dropped my store to basic, moved 600 items to another site, and fewer than 100 items left at eBay since March, that I change weekly, I make as much as before. At the other site, I don't pay that outrageous FVF on high ticket items and I just made ''Gold'' seller. You're doing the right thing. Do it fast--the holidays are upon us!! I sell all my $$$ items at the other (now 2) sites. Good luck and cheer up--this is what you need.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Nov 19 19:25:12 2016

Another satisfied customer.

eBay--running great customers away without a care. Their arrogance never ceases to amaze me.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Nov 19 20:29:58 2016

@M. (OP) - Sorry to hear that eBay has been so despicable in its treatment of you. I'm afraid there are many more good sellers like you who have been relegated to hypothetical Death Valley, to languish until they come to the realization that nothing will change and walk away.

If you have been a successful seller for 19 years, I have no doubt that you can find another site to sell on. Remember, you have all the contact information for your buyers in your PayPal records and can steer them to your new location. Good luck!

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 19 20:33:23 2016

As long as they keep finding more "Matell's" they just dont care.

Small sellers have always been a thorn in eBays side.

Small sellers "cause" eBay to have larger then wanted CS depts. St this rate they employ 1/2 the Filipeans?

It causes them court expenses when makers sue them for copyright, trademark and other IP issues.

It "forces" them to be ur unasked for partner and get involved in Returns. Its OBVIOUS that eBay isnt interested in fair adjudication of this issue and this is why.

Small sellers "complain and moan" each time eBay enacts some insane rule.

For these reasons and a host of others, eBay hates small sellers.

Devin Wenig doesnt care about your 1950s vintage drees, some "old painting" or anything else.

eBay (dw ect) wants easy smooth transactions with no issue. If an issue arises - they want it to go away with a happy customer - so they encourage the theft and returns fraud.

eBay long ago abandoned being Amazon. They copy them - but up to a point.

While Amazon leans on its 3p sellers to broaden its catalog, eBay turns its head in disgust when it comes to their 3p sellers - and it shows %3 vs %58.

But dont try and tell DW about it - hes only interested in marking the days off his calendar until HIS $23 million golden parachute.

eBay small sellers are there to be used and discarded. Large sellers are where the money is - and they never complain, cause trouble or cause eBay money  it could spend on rewarding its own lazy employees.

Sales on eBay in Nov are SUBPAR - and thats being kind .... no idea where they are going - but its NOT here (unless you sell old used airplane tools)

by: Frank Abagnale This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 20 02:11:31 2016

Dear M, if you have been reading ecommercebytes then you should have known years ago what kind of company ebay is. Unfortunately you're just another "I thought it wouldn't happen to me" ebay seller. These types of "I'm done with ebay after so many years" letters to the editor should have it's own section on ecommercebytes. I promise there will more of these letters in the future.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 20 05:06:38 2016

I think it would be astounding to read some of those stories here.  If the servers had the room for them.

Here's mine, reposted from thread a few months ago.  Not because it's any more worthy, but because I don't think we can tell these enough...
-----

I sold over $2M worth of practically everything on eBay from 2007 - 2013 - by consignment.  One uniquely and fully documented item at a time.  Over 20,000 items at an ASP of over $100.  I mean everything.  Thousands of collectibles, fine jewelry, antiques, dozens of vehicles from motorcycles to classic cars to dump trucks to an ultralight.  Parts and pieces and wholes.  Clothing, shoes, accessories, sporting eqpt.  Electronics, games, toys, musical instruments from vintage to now.  Furniture, appliances (commercial AND industrial), big and small. The unique and unusual.  Even commoddities now and then.  Every category.  You get the idea.

We averaged over $25K a month.  Employed 7 folks in a 1500 ft sq drop off and list facility, with full time shipping dept and a 600 ft sq warehouse for the big stuff.

We did research, clean n polish, writing, photography, payment and payout processing, client and customer comms, all through a proprietary auction management system with direct interface to the venue.  I mean, we had a 5000 name client list...many repeats who would source items and use our service because it was WORTH it.  Because we made it so.  It worked.  Even in a 'bad' economy.  Some might say MORE so, for most items of value.  Which is what we offered.  Not yard sale junk.  $100 ASP, remember?

It was the best most innovative unique and simultaneously diverse internet business on the planet.  Well worth the $150K invested, returning a living wage and profit.  And community to boot.  What could go wrong?

Until, that is, it was destructively innovated...with emphasis on the destruction, and none on innovation. None.

Store to core is when it started.  From unique and visible to bland and buried with a flick of a corporate whim.  Futzing with feedback came next.  ''Retired'' discounts and hypocritical oversight.  COI payment restrictions.  VERO abuse.  Visibility manipulation.  'Protective' limits.  Site unreliability.  Untested changes and 'enhancements' (to serve you better) that made every task more of a trial and occurred constantly, with no warning, frequently without announcement.  From a dedicated rep, to customer 'service' that was untrained, unempowered, and unintelligible.

And that was just within the first three years. Apparently they found a monkey that actually couldn't drive.  But thats not even the point.

Throughout these consistent months and quarters of diminishing views, decreasing sales, and dismissively insulting episodes deemed to be support, all in the face of undesguised hypocrisy and unimaginable incompetence, we still maintained almost perfect DSR and feedback, because we always HAD.  That's what the profession required.  Nevermind that the 'new standards' were mathmatically flawed at their roots, skewed to favor cheap volume over unique quality, and designed to 'gradually' cook the frogs while ignoring the epitome of hypocrisy that was eBay posture and practice.

We adapted as able, but you know, we were not 'Mike' and could never BE 'like Mike'.  Power wouldn't listen to truth though, AKA ''noise''.

See, we the vocal weren't bashing.  We had an INVESTMENT.  We WANTED eBay's success and HATED the increasing failures - over which we had NO control.  But the beat went on.

And so...from a $300K year in '08 - which incidentally was done ALL at auction with minimal start price and many times involved hundreds of bids - to half that by '10, to half THAT the next year, to finally less than $10k in the last year, we watched eBay 'retire' their sales 'assistant' program that we routinely utilized.  We were once shut down for a week with no appeal, no discussion, (and no cause, fully documented and eventually admitted) - but alas, AFTER the damage done to our reputation from OUR customers.  No, not the buyers, the consignors.

''Free'' shipping?  And how, pray tell, for an item with no specific acquisition cost, and little owner tolerence for increasingly larger slices off the top?

And, as volume diminished, so did ability to 'appear' top rated.  Not that the buyers had such opinion.  See, it somehow evolved to an eBay opinion.  Subjective objectivity.  Bubbles in the frog pot.

And I'm not even touching the subject of buyer fraud and theft increasingly sanctioned as a 'cost of doing business'.

No, here's what frosts me; a (self stated) eBay ''Sr. CS rep telling me about a year before we were shuttered by the cesspool this venue has become, that, because they favored commercial commodity volume at fixed price, that perhaps my business model of unique, market valued items was flawed.  And I should change it.

Which brings us to today.  A viable business evaporated (we, the last of a chain of over 60 stores internationally).  Seven ppl out of work.  Taxpayers.  Buyers of supplies, users of consumables and services and lessees of property. Fees to the venue AND stockholders.  Gone.  All gone.  Though I understand over 70% of stockholders are institutional and thus unconcerned with the realities you all continue to battle and know better than I...but gone, nevertheless.

And in the face of this now....eBay Valet?

Seriously?  And by the means and methods advertised?  Are you flippin kidding me?

If this wasn't eBay spewing this rot, it would be inconceivable.  Color me disgusted.

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 20 17:11:45 2016

Last November I also made the decision to wrap up my on-line selling on eBay. I have been winding it down on my own terms. I expect I will close my shop up at the end of this summer.

Like you, when I finally decided to walk away from eBay what I felt was relief. Like I had finally put down a burden I had been carrying for a long time. I've been selling on eBay for 14 years now and was very happy with the company for the first 11 years. At this point I could not have a lower opinion of the company.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 20 19:51:56 2016

SNAPPED has it EXACTLY right!

That comment "could have been written by me" (except that 1) it wasnt 2) its better written then I could and 3) he/she is nicer and kinder then I have been towards eBay and its wonderkind in the past.

eBay still thinks that by letting a buyer steal his way against a helpless seller - that it will be a gain for eBay ... when you can plainly see from excellent sellers like Snapped that its the exact opposite.

His/her leaving eBay will cause more then the loss of 1 buyer - it will have FAR reaching cascading effects - 10s if not HUNDREDS of people ... fleeing eBay/never making a purchase.

The small but growing group of "neverebayers" (sorry DT - Im stealing from your election) is growing, and whether they go to Amazon, Walmart, Sears or no where - they WONT be going/buying /recommending eBay !

by: topdog This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 20 23:53:09 2016

I left years ago, started our own website, and then moved to Amazon when Google made it too expensive to drive traffic any longer. We had once done over $.5m/yr on eBay, but their outrageous fees (which have only gotten worse) drove us away. We were fortunate enough to leave before they started with their wholesale policy changes. I'm so very glad that we left them in our rearview mirror. Not only do I no longer sell there, I have not bought anything there in years. Why? There's so much fraud and knockoffs, it's not worth the effort. Plus it's too hard to find the few legit items which do exist on the site.
In short, I thought it was FleaBay when I left around 10 years ago - it's far worse today, and I am so glad that I didn't stick around for more punishment

by: felyne This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 03:21:10 2016

I am a buyer on ebay. I have always bought a specific item as a supply and resold it on another site to enhance what I sell that is handmade. I don't need many so maybe I make a purchase from 2 specific sellers on ebay which I've done for about 5 years. I needed more of the items recently and searched and searched and searched on eBay, then on Google and on Bing for them. Nothing came up that they sold on eBay. I even searched the old email invoices to find the links to locate the sellers. Nothing. Luckily, I had the personal email of one of the sellers and wrote her a letter. She told me she doesn't sell enough to come up in eBay searches, although she's still there. I thought that strange. I finally did find the other seller, too. Both were happy that I found them. They always came up in a general search. I must say, knowing that, as a buyer, I am disappointed in eBay and I am wondering what else I am missing out on when I do a search.

Google seems the same way now, tons of ads on each page and the sellers that do come up seem to be the larger ones paying for Google ads. It's getting more difficult to be a small seller having unique products to be found anywhere anymore. Buyers are unknowingly missing our as well.

Rant over.

by: sukki007 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 05:21:19 2016

I've read lots of horror stories on this site about the disintegration of EBay, but nothing as compelling as this one by Snapped.

I was an active eBay seller for years, always with 100% feedback, until I got a taste of what was to come when a buyer claimed he never received an antique 14K broach I shipped.  Of course, I was out the money and the item. That was around the time John D. took over, and shortly before eBray (not a typo, since they're a bunch of asses) instituted the no negative feedback policy.  But though I don't have items of that caliber now, I still have a ton of great vintage items to sell.  I wonder what sites would be more seller-friendly and with good traffic, since the thought of doing business with eBray makes me ill.

by: cosqueen This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 06:21:11 2016

I am astounded but not surprised to read all these sad stories.  November is when sales should skyrocket.  I sell 2-3 items per week now.  Back in the good old days my invoices from ebay were over $2K; last month it was $86. Wow, it is like beating a dead horse. I think this is my last year on ebay. I am afraid it is too late to revive ebay after them being on life support for years now.  It is time to let go now.....

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 07:51:17 2016

Snapped- yours is one of the best letters I have ever read.

First of all, I applaud your amazing success which lasted up to the point that Ebay started picking winners and losers.  Clearly you did everything right with your business and if things were based on merit, you would have had continued success for as long as you provided great service in a competitive market.

However, our whole society is no longer merit based.

Look at what happened to you:  for absolutely senseless reasons, known only to a few powerful ah****  your amazing business was destroyed.

And to make it even worse, Ebay is one of the losers too!  Didn't anyone care or realize that they money you earned for them is irreplaceable?

It will take 1000 new shops, maybe more, selling phony merchandise to replace your shop.  The people who run Ebay are losing money by destroying your business but they don't care.

What an arrogant bunch of *&%$#@

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 07:54:06 2016

Just start over.
If EB has been working for you, then still use it.

by: FLEbaySeller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 08:04:34 2016

Snapped mentioned moving to another site.

What site did you move to?

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 09:44:06 2016

@Chicago48 >>OP:  Totally close down the shop.  Get a new name.  Get a new bank account.  Start anew.  Then re-open with the new name & bank account on EB with the same items.
Just start over.
If EB has been working for you, then still use it. <<

You have got to be kidding! What makes you think they will do any better with a new name and bank account with no feedback? It isn't like ebay is any nicer to newbies than they are to long term customers (lest we forget that the seller's ARE ebay's customers, not the buyer's).

A site that has lost my trust like ebay has, I would never venture back to it, unless I knew that someone had come in and really cleaned house and got rid of the incompetant employees, BOD, etc. and changed policies to make ebay seller-centric again.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 12:09:12 2016

I  have  never been  more than a VERY small  seller  on ebay  but  even  I  have  been  almost  shuttered due  to what I can  only  believe  is  my items NOT showing  to  possible buyers.  I am  "lucky"  if  one or two  items a MONTH  sell;  it  seems that some "window"  opens and I get a few  sales  ---and  I  have FIVE  different  accounts  all selling  the same types  of  things (sportswear and gear  clothing  and motorcycle  parts and clothing)  and  I  will sell one or two  items and then SLAM.  Nothing  for  a  few weeks. I have BEEN  selling  these SAME sort  of things  for 16 YEARS  on  ebay--and I used to CLEAN UP.  EVERYTHING  would sell  in one or two  listing  periods.

With one  exception  I  have a 100% rating  on  these  sites with  glowing  FB (LOL--does that even matter  any  more??)  and  this same  pattern  has  been in  evidence  long  before  my  one  NEG  over some one who  did not read what  I  had included  several  times  in ITEM SPECS.  (Paid;  kept  item; but  negged me because  she  "thought"  Vintage  meant--ALL Made In  USA--ummm---yeah)

I  SO  wish  that  whoever is  posting  here--from  the OP  to  other sellers  commenting--would TELL US WHERE THEY HAVE FOUND PROFITABLE SITES TO SELL ON.  I  did  look at  Tradesy  but  it  doesn't  seem a "good  fit"  for  the  designer  items I  find  from  time to time.

I  wonder if  INA  could weigh  in  on this--is  it OK  for these posters to do this?  I  feel  the more the better ON  the sales  sites;  but some seem reluctant to share the  names and I  don't  know  if they don't want to be "shut out"  if  some one sells similar  items OR they think  it is not OK to mention  them HERE.

by: cellular-seller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 12:41:09 2016

What is most astoundingly illogical is that sellers who have been selling for more years than the average eBay CEO's tenure are literally thrown off the site by their inane policies or listing limitations, or lack of prominent position in best match.  Clearly their algorithmic net is cast all too broadly whereby honest sellers are being thrown off while conniving dishonest sellers find ways to circumvent Ebay's notorious and obnoxious rules.

by: LifeAfterEbay This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 14:57:00 2016

It's been about a year since Ebay did more or less the exact same thing to my store after 5 years of 14-18 hour days building it out to more than 400 items. Having my store slashed to 150 items, which caused both traffic and sales to plummet - after 5 years of working that hard to make it excellent - just destroyed me. I'm very sick and sorry to hear Ebay is still doing this to their most loyal and successful sellers. I'm just glad my investment wasn't 19 years. There IS life after Ebay, though for other retirees who depend on that income, it hurts and is really damaging to see all that good work go down the drain. My store actually got scammed back in 2015 by a husband/wife team who took me for several hundred dollars. Ebay blamed me for it, then allowed these clever crooks to close out their 'opened cases' with 'no resolution' and my seller score plummeted. The very last straw was that after 30+ emails and dozens of phone calls to try to get the mess straightened out, each time I would email Ebay for help in that last 90 days, they would actually go in and shave another point or two off my score. So, in essence, Ebay was actually taking PUNITIVE actions to LOWER my account score each time I emailed them for help. Wicked. This awful company deserves every bit of financial karma that is coming there way. I'm determined to warn other would-be sellers before they waste 5-6 years of their lives building anything on their servers by creating a blog about my experience. Seller beware:

L
eigh

by: felyne This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 18:32:52 2016

I can only guess buyers are frustrated as well. It is no where near the auction site it used to be. I just searched for women's vintage denim jackets, you want to know how many are not vintage from China?