Tue Nov 15 2016 10:56:47

Does Etsy Give Preference to Pattern Shops?

By: Reader

Just wondering - have you seen anything to indicate that Etsy sellers who don't subscribe to Pattern are penalized in Etsy search?

My sales on Etsy plummeted recently after being consistent for several years, and I can't find anything that has changed in my shop or my pricing relative to my competitors.
From,
Seeing a Pattern?

Does Etsy Give Preference to Pattern Shops?   Does Etsy Give Preference to Pattern Shops?

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Nov 15 19:40:25 2016

@Seeing a Pattern? (OP) - I can't answer your question, but I was looking at the Etsy forums during lunch, and it appears there are a plethora of sellers who are complaining about low sales and views. So you aren't the only one who is looking for an answer as to what is wrong.

This user has validated their user name. by: MainelyVintage

Tue Nov 15 23:43:03 2016

I've had 17 orders in the past six days. Vintage shop. I do not have a Pattern website. I have never paid for ads.

I am doing everything Etsy asks: tags, shop updates, social media, constant tweaking of listings, About Page etc. etc.

I pay attention when Etsy admin says to have great photos, not to repeat words in our titles and not to repeat the title verbatim in the item description, etc. etc.

Etsy is a lot of work. Sales go up and down.

I sell on Amazon and eBay, too. But I still love Etsy : )

by: marcello This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 16 00:31:14 2016

I have had a shop on Etsy for 7 years with consistent sales in the $35,000 to $40,000 range. In 2016 my sales dropped by 75% and my views are 1/4th of what they used to be. Without a doubt, there is some sort of manipulation going on over there. An established, thriving, 100% perfect feedback business doesn't just completely crash in one year without something changing. I've been forced to start selling on Ebay again where my items sell well so it's not my merchandise.

by: odona This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 16 01:03:40 2016

I hate to suggest this but our sales dropped sigNIFicantly almost immediately after etsy went public...I'm doing less than 20% of the biz I was doing since 2011...maybe I'm not doing the soc. media thing but I can't imagine that horrible a change - from 100% positive $40,000. year to $250 a momth? We offer great service but have lost even our regular, countable-on  clients...there are def more dealers for what we sell (vintage perfume) but it's not like they offer better prices or the knowledge or better quality...so - I'm equally baffled.

by: Garcia This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 16 01:47:28 2016

Pattern is the dumbest thing Etsy has ever done and they have done some doozies. It is exactly the same as your Etsy shop without allowing any changes or adding different items or doing much of anything except duplicating your shop.  Yet, Etsy would make big money off of it if only sellers would opt in for Pattern, which so far not many have. So Etsy is favoring it in the hopes it will get more sellers to use it.

by: Daisy909 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 16 06:20:48 2016

My sales slowed down last year so I started running Etsy ads. Yeah, it p*sses me off to give them even more of my money, but sales for the last quarter of LY were amazing! So I continued to advertise all this year. This year sales dropped when they changed the home page. Suddenly there was no randomness to what I could see. There was nothing unique. Just whatever Etsy thought I might want to see. I stopped looking and so did other customers. Then they did away with the treasuries. I'll admit they were annoying at best, but coupled with my new boring home page, I look at nothing interesting. And shoppers are also looking at nothing interesting. My sales have bottomed out. Here it is the middle of November, my highest sales month all year(!) and I'm at $188 in sales. Wtf! And I'm paying $3/day in ads for those lousy sales. Just sad...  They took all the random, unique joy out of shopping on Etsy. Going back to Ebay where the sales are (and yes it is weird to say that these days...).

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Nov 16 06:54:38 2016

It appears that Etsy has a case of ebay-itus.

M-A-N-I-P-U-L-A-T-I-O-N

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 16 08:00:22 2016

I can't imagine that Ebay is worse than Etsy because Etsy has gotten to be a total ripoff.

Chad & Co. have thrown the long time, genuine sellers under the bus.  These are the artisans and sellers of quality vintage that made Etsy what it is today.

Search is being manipulated constantly to favor new shops with cheap merch from overseas.

Etsy admits it makes most of its money not from sales but from BS "sellers services."  That means you have to pay for ads and other make believe promotions that do NOTHING.  THEY DON'T WORK.

This is nothing but a Ripoff!  How do they get away with this fraud?  In any other world these guys would be taken out in handcuffs for white collar crime.

Maybe things will change after the Inauguration.  Something's gotta give for the small business sellers who are trying to make a few bucks on Etsy and Ebay.  It seems like nobody has our back.

There is not one senator or congress-person who stands up for us.  It's about time we got something in return for our hard earned tax money.

by: ewegolf This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 16 08:06:38 2016

Etsy probably does.  Look at its recent implementation of their Google Shopping ads.  "It's important to note if you set up a Google Shopping campaign, you will be opting out of Etsy's Google Shopping Engine Ads." What they didn't say was if you don't, we'll opt you out.  Last November I had  107 Google Shopping views.  In the past 21 days, I have had one.

Etsy's growth in seller services revenue has been 3-4 times the growth in GMV. The higher the fees you pay, the higher your placement.

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 16 09:28:05 2016

The economy is tanked... all the money is in the hands of the top 5% who do NOT buy on Etsy -or- eBay... we all compete for the ever more shrinking dollar... Postage is UP... wages are stagnant or hours CUT... there is NO MONEY 'out there' in your Customer base...

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 16 18:43:29 2016

I don't think anyone would mind paying for the ads IF THEY WORKED.  That's the whole point.  If you could set your advertising budget and know that there would be some return on investment, that would be one thing.

But the problem is that even if you pay for the ads/ promoted listings, you still can't be seen or make sales.

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 17 12:51:24 2016

Presidential elections have always been bad for my eBay and now Etsy business.  Could be in these post election days, that buyers continue to be afraid to spend.

I have four orders for November all on eBay.  I sold nothing on Etsy for a month.  November, 2015 was a banner sales month for my Etsy sales.

November for the last four Christmas seasons was at record levels.  Looks like this season, November will be a bust, and December will not make up for it.

I would not be surprised to learn that the ''brains'' of Etsy are manipulating sales in hopes of driving Etsy sellers to pay for more services.  However, the ''brains'' at Etsy will not see big year-end bonus payouts from fees on my meager sales.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 18 11:44:48 2016

Etsy ads do not work just like google ad words it is a total ripoff there re no safeguards and the cost of clicks are completely outrageous. The clicks cost wipes out your profit you are not going to get sale on one click it may take 5 or 6 clicks or more people wasnt to shop and look. This form of advertising should be banned and illegal

by: mandm This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 19:14:02 2016

I am a seasoned Etsy seller. Never had to pay for promoted listings since I was busy enough without it. In February I had my biggest month - $7500+.  It's been downhill since. April thru July were dismal. The day they ended the SEO testing my views, sales, and inquiries suddenly went back to February stats. That lasted 2 days. Worst November since I started selling on Etsy. I pay $3.00 a day for promoted listings, another $4.00 for Google Shopping Ads. Currently am using my $100 credit from Google. When that's used up I am done. From a business standpoint, Etsy is only good if your intention is to go bankrupt.