Sun Nov 13 2016 12:54:18

eBay Changes Shipping Preferences - A Costly Problem

By: Reader

It might interest eBay sellers to know eBay is automatically switching their eBay shipping preferences for carrier specific discounts offered to buyers to OPT IN even when the seller hasn't selected this preference!

I noticed this when I saw the shipping rate a buyer paid for a carrier I don't often use was too low. I saw that eBay had changed my preferences giving the buyer the eBay discounted rate even though I had NOT selected to offer the discount rate.

Due to this and eBay pocketing 10% off the top of the shipping paid, I lost money when shipping the item.

I went in today to double check these preferences since I was going to list an item using this carrier, again eBay had altered my preference to quote a buyer discount rate! I unchecked the box, my carrier specific discount offering then showed NO. I reviewed this preference an hour later and it was once again checked to say YES again offering the discount rate!!

This is ludicrous. eBay shouldn't be overriding a sellers preferences and cost them money. There is simply NO way to maintain the setting I selected of not offering a discount quote. I was forced to check the box of another carrier I don't use and state I offered a discount with them, simply so eBay wouldn't go back in and change it to the carrier I do use. But I question them going in and unknowingly changing this preference again in the future, as they've been repeatedly doing!

I don't have time to continually babysit these preferences. It's a serious glitch and of course one that costs the seller money, as all the eBay glitches do!
C.

Note from the editor: We found a couple of threads that could be related to the problem described by the reader.

eBay Changes Shipping Preferences - A Costly Probl   eBay Changes Shipping Preferences - A Costly Probl

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Sun Nov 13 13:17:06 2016

This problem seems to be limited to FedEx. Thanks goodness I do not use them.

by: Golddustwoman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 14 00:29:15 2016

I only use USPS and haven't had a problem.  The writer should have called eBay right away. They can easily turn on and turn off options if you call them and request it.  I would have done that first before wasting time by complaining to a blog.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Nov 14 03:10:15 2016

I haven't experienced this problem and I sincerely hope I never do as it would be extremely annoying.

A work around for the OP and others experiencing this, you might consider putting in a handling fee for your fedx packages.  If Ebay is forcing the discounted rate, then with the addition of a modest handling fee, you wouldn't have to worry about the ever changing preference and you'd be covered for the fees you have to pay.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 14 11:18:23 2016

@golddustwoman-----I  rather  suspect  that  the OP  was not "Wasting time  complaining to a blog"---YOU  came  here  to  read  about it  presumably  to  find  out WHAT WAS GOING  ON--as  have  others.  The OP  and  the blog  both  INFORMED  us  of  something that WE  might need to  know  about;  how  ELSE  would we find  these  things  out?  Ebay is surely NEVER going  to inform  us  peons  of  something  THEY  did that  affects OUR  ability to SELL  things.

I  have  not run  into  this  but  do  not  offer FedEx.

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 14 12:57:22 2016

I was shipping packages FedEx through eBay until I recently read on Ecommercebytes from eBay sellers that FedEx dishonors ALL insurance claims when their services are purchased through eBay.

And of course (as expected) eBay takes their share of FedEx shipping charges and refuses to help sellers process FedEx insurance claims.

Once I read that, I returned to my own FedEx account to process FedEx shipments.

I only purchase USPS services through eBay and have not experienced any switch-a-roo problems.  But I always check every listing that the stinking Global Shipping box is unchecked (listing one item today, I DID find the Global Shipping box checked.  I quickly unchecked the box.).  Sneaky scoundrels!

This user has validated their user name. by: windsorbear

Mon Nov 14 13:08:08 2016

@golddustwoman - I'm glad the OP did complain to the blog!!!  This is how the rest of us find out what is going on when eBay pulls a fast one... then we know to go and check our own settings and correct as needed.  I know from your posts that you are happy selling on eBay, but it has not been a bed of roses for everybody!!!

by: Joey4711 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 14 17:32:25 2016

It actually isn't Ebay it is FedEX whether you purchase through Ebay or FedEx likely FedEx will deny your claim. Do a search on the web they have been sued mutiple times for failure to pay for damages in my view.

This is why I left them years ago and so should you. What good is a carrier if they won't pay out on insurance? It isn't on Ebay and I don't protect Ebay, it is on FedEx as far as I understand.

by: Overthere This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 14 17:42:49 2016

I just went in and checked my account and the discount was checked for Fedex and USPS.
I have unchecked them. i'll go back in in a couple of hours and look again. If they are on again,then I am going to call fleecebay.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 15 10:42:22 2016

@golddustwoman
You must not sell very much as you have a very unrealistic view of what is probable when dealing with ebay.
Ebay denies all glitches.
Ebay will not pay the seller back for any glitches in shipping, nor will they even acknowledge that there is a problem.
My last phone call to ebay about a shipping glitch - where I had proof via the invoice I sent the customer to buy from as well as the payment from the buyer showing a completely different amount,  resulted in my being told I must have "faked" the invoice of 5.00 difference to try to defraud ebay. By the way, all the invoices from ebay also have numbers on them to identify so this is in their records which I am sure I cannot fake.
If I could create fake invoices and enter the ebay system to make them seem real, I am sure I could make more money doing some other line of work.

by: JimBob This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 15 13:55:29 2016

Sorry for a stupid question:

Where is the discount checkbox located?

I just went looking and found a ''business policies'' section I didn't know existed .... apparently a new program, and perhaps related to this glitch?

thanks!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Nov 15 14:39:49 2016

@joey4711

The OP wasn't talking about filing a claim.

@jimbob
Got to your Site Preferences.
Then down to your Shipping Preferences.
Click on the show button on the right.
Then go down to "offer carrier specific discounts to buyer".  Click on the edit button on the right.

Now change it to whatever you deem appropriate.  Just because you weren't aware of where to find the function, doesn't mean someone else isn't telling the truth.  It simply means you did not know where to locate the function in question.

I hope I answered your "??? Question"!

by: JimBob This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 15 15:15:39 2016

I was not trying to imply someone was being less than honest ... I just seriously could not find the checkbox ;-)

The business policy page/section appears to be in beta test - the summary says:

Business policies are the payment, shipping, and return details you specify for buyers in your listings.

Payment policies are where you specify how buyers can pay you—through PayPal, for instance.

Shipping policies are where you specify your handling time, the shipping services you offer, and shipping costs.

Return policies are where you specify whether or not you accept returns. If you accept returns, include any return conditions and the amount of time a buyer has to return an item.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Nov 15 16:01:55 2016

@jimbob

I get it.  It kind of depends on how much you have been through with Ebay's back and forth policies.  Just because you can't find something does not mean it doesn't exist.  What it means is you can't find something, nothing more.

As to return policies.  Ebays view on this is much different than the views of an Ebay seller.  If you state a return policy other than a No return policy, Ebay expects a seller to take a return for ANY reason during their stated return policy.

So for example, if you have a 14 day policy, then a buyer has 14 days to ask for a return.  Doesn't matter the reason, Ebay expects you to honor the return.

Now if the buyer files a claim on day 15, the terms are that of the Money Back Guarantee which does have some exceptions.  The most notable one is Buyer's Remorse is NOT a valid reason for a return.

If a seller has a NO return policy, then the buyer still has 30 days to file a claim with Ebay and it will fall under the rules of the Money back guarantee.

For the folks that want to keep their TRS status, they must have a 30 day return policy, which in EbayLand means you take a return for ANY reason during that period of time.

by: westonperry This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 16 22:20:56 2016

I've gone to using Stamps.com and my own fedex and ups accounts... ebay has done such a poor job of providing buyers in my categories, I'm not giving them one penny more than final value fees.