Mon Nov 7 2016 13:44:34

When Trying to Do Right by an eBay Buyer Backfires

By: Reader

I am not sure if anyone else has run across this issue but I had a buyer purchase an item and had not received by the date they should have. They filed a case and requested a refund stating that should the item be delivered she would gladly pay for it again.

I refunded her money promptly and then she did receive the item. Since I was out the item and the money I re-invoiced her. She is not acknowledging my invoice nor my email. I can not do a non-paying bidder since I refunded.

I contacted eBay and they said there was nothing that can be done since I refunded the purchase voluntarily. I know that if you do not refund, they will take it from your PayPal which is worse.

So since there was a case, I am now hindered in search, do not have the item nor the money. I told eBay this was totally unfair as I did my part and that this lady now has the item and the money. To them the buyer is always right.

Asked for a supervisor but they couldn't locate one.
Signed,
Scammed

When Trying to Do Right by an eBay Buyer Backfires   When Trying to Do Right by an eBay Buyer Backfires

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 7 13:49:34 2016

Ebay doesn't care as long as the buyer is smiling all the way to the bank...

We NEVER NEVER REFUND until the last minute. More often than not the item will be delivered. Most of these buyers are the type that should be buying in the stores and not bothering buying on the internet as they know exactly nothing about how the post office works and takes ebays estimate as written in gold.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 7 14:04:18 2016

I am sorry that this happened to you, but I think you jumped the gun.
Those delivery dates are "Estimated" delivery dates and I would of waited until the item was delivered.

I would of responded with after looking at the tracking and keep them informed that the item is at such and such post office and that you have no control of the delivery time.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Nov 7 16:47:03 2016

I agree with DingDong.  While we all need to provide good customer service, you should do with taking care of your customer and taking care of your account as well.

I get it that Ebay makes sellers feel very uneasy when the buyer has a complaint.  It is easy to get it to backfire on you and Ebay will not support the seller most of the time.

You panic and refunded way too soon.  DingDong was right, the date that shows up on a buyer's purchase is an ESTIMATED date of delivery.  Especially this time of year all kinds of things can get messed up.

It is important to know you have a little time to work things out with your buyer once they send you a "request" or email notification that something is wrong.

Ebay doesn't expect you to answer their concern with a refund at that very moment.  You did that because you were concerned about the health of your account.  Take a deep breath and think things through before reacting.  And if need be, come here for some help when you run into issues.

The first thing I would have done when a buyer notifies me of a delivery issue.  Is to assure them that I will work with them to a resolution.  I then let them know I will go and put a trace on the package.  As soon as I have an update I'll get back with them.

If you shipped via USPS, you can go to their website and track the package.  Ask for Email updates past and future on the package.  For whatever reason there may be, it has been my experience that this simple step often times shakes that package loose.

Or when you reviewed the tracking you may have noticed it said the package would be delivered the next day or something.  But the FIRST thing to do is check the tracking, not jump on refunding.

You are blaming Ebay for something they didn't do.  Well other than making us all use an abundance of caution when dealing with buyer concerns because of the lack of support from Ebay.

If you had checked the tracking you probably would have been able to see that the package would be there shortly and you could have told or asked your buyer just to wait another day or two without issue or loss of money.

by: Michael in BC This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 7 22:34:35 2016

Your next step (depending on the value of the item and whether it's worth your time) is to open a mail fraud case with USPS - she has used the mail system to defraud you by claiming non-receipt, receiving a refund and then obtaining the item).

Get a case/file number from USPS then advise your "buyer" via registered mail, giving her the case number and telling her she'll be spending some quality time with a federal postal inspector.

Can't hurt to try.

by: JulieandBlu This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 8 08:12:34 2016

I had the exact opposite happen, and it is no easy task to repay a seller.

I looked all over for a way to just send the money back in my purchase history, but that was not an option.

I had to send a message to the seller through ebay and get them to send me their paypal email so I could send them money for goods because for some reason, my paypal receipt was missing that information.

We ended up just doing it through email. It doesn't sound like a ton of work, but at that particular moment, it was a bloody hassle as I was busy.

I thought I remembered that I could go to the case and send it from there, but apparently, I remembered wrong.

It would have been helpful for there to be other options after a refund to repay the seller.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 8 12:30:55 2016

As I stated before, you did jump the gun.

You mentioned: ''I refunded her money promptly and then she did receive the item''
I would contact her again and stated that you did received the item and I was talking you at your word that you would pay for the item when received. (small guilt trip)
Otherwise, it is a lost and put her eBay ID on your blocked list.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 9 00:16:00 2016

This is  mail  fraud--contact  your Post  Office and the PO  where  your buyer  lives.

And  I  would  also  use the PO to send an actual  letter--on  paper--to the buyer  with the amounts;  how she  can repay;  and print out  any  communications  you had  with  her  before  this.  Maybe  reminding  her of her  agreement  would  shake payment  loose.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 9 00:41:26 2016

Along with the guilt trip, send her a PP invoice to make it easy for her to send you the money.

by: Valiant This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 9 07:53:28 2016

I had a similar experience; I took the buyer to small claims court and got my money back as well as my filing costs. The best thing was that within half an hour of the buyer being served, the buyer, who had given me negative feedback, called eBay and requested they remove the feedback and payment was made to my PayPal account.

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 9 08:12:21 2016

Awful.

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 9 09:27:27 2016

I agree the seller did jump the gun but Ebay doesn't make it easy to resolve these situations as one buyer indicated when he had the reverse situation. E bay needs to try to help sellers get resolution. I believe seller has a just concern.

by: mazelgirl This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 9 09:54:38 2016

Karma.  That item is now cursed--if I was the buyer I wouldn't want whatever you sold her in my home.

by: mazelgirl This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 9 09:56:03 2016

You know you can get that buyer's phone number and call her--it might not do any good--but it will absolutely freak her out.  when you call stay polite and professional--treat it like she just might not know she owes you the money.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 9 10:21:06 2016

"One thing that can really help sellers navigate their way through the mine field Ebay has become is to have a really good understanding of the rules especially surrounding claims."

For example, one should 'learn' that doing the right thing will turn out to be wrong thing to do on eBay, regardless of understanding of rules.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 9 10:23:55 2016

If they just sent you a ''case'' but it was a request for more information. Just keep answering her emails through that system and it keeps extending your time.
Do as Marie describes above and attempt to locate the item and have it delivered.
There is now a 2 step system ''contact'' the post office and file ''missing mail'' It is a little harder right now to get the post office to act due to the new procedures but you have to try to get the buyers item to them before just refunding. I agree that this is not ebay's fault.
Ebay will refund if there is no scanning for 7 days, but it has to get to the point of the escalated case date. You can normally always get it there before then.
First class is normally during busy times 6 -10 business days until delivery. You need to stall some of these buyers at least until 6 business days before you get nervous, but start the process as soon as you hear from the buyer. Normal transit is about 3 to 4. Ebay is just guessing on those dates, they do not care that they are unreasonable. You can find some other threads here on why that is, but do not refund because someone has not received or you will be broke pretty quick! Holidays coming and this will only get worse. Read the policies and other threads and familiarize yourself before you get more cases.
Good luck!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 9 11:32:01 2016

I  should  have mentioned  the  phone  call part--I  have  found  this to be  VERY effective  on non-paying  bidders.  It has worked  everye time I have used it--not  terribky often  as ebay refuses to show most of my stuff and my sales are crap-but  the 4 oor 5 times I have used it I got results  right away.

Sending the buyer a Paypal REQUEST FOR PAYMENT  also can shake  $$$ loose.

by: skl3255 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 9 13:10:06 2016

I recently had a buyer claim that a watch I sold her was defective.  I sent her a return label. I should have waited to accept the return before receiving the watch back because there was absolutely nothing wrong with the watch.  Once you refund the buyer and accept the return it's all over.  However I would call Paypal and see if they will refund your money because you have proof that she received the item.

by: JWsax This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 9 15:09:53 2016

I'm dealing with this right now on two international shipments. I keep in touch with the buyers and stall them too. I let them know my insurance won't kick in for 30 days so I have to wait that long. One package sent to Mexico via USPS has gone to London, Oslo, and South Korea before going to Seattle and now it seems stalled again. An amazing journey and I hope like hell it gets to where it should. Ebay does nothing to protect sellers who have done everything right in a situation like this.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Nov 9 16:34:18 2016

@skl3255 & jwsax

PP isn't going to refund the seller in this situation no matter what they can prove.  The seller voluntarily refunded the buyer when they didn't need to at that point.  The seller was just to scared at what they felt Ebay might do to them if they didn't.

PP nor Ebay are going to step into this and give the seller money back.  Neither PP or Ebay was at fault.  They did nothing wrong.  It was the seller created this problem.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Nov 9 16:56:10 2016

@Scammed (OP) - I agree with the others who have stated that you refunded too quickly. But don't beat yourself up over what you did as eBay has conditioned sellers to take preemptive action to stave off negatives or SNAD claims.

The key to every buyer who has complaints that they haven't received their packages yet is to e-mail them like crazy so they know you aren't ignoring them. Thank them profusely for bringing the issue to your attention, and tell them you will ask the post office to do a search for their package.

Give them an up-date at least once a day, and tell them you are watching the online tracking.

OP, in your particular case, I would send a PayPal request for payment and state that your action is in response to the buyer's written statement, that you relied upon, that if the item was later received that the buyer would pay.