Thu Oct 27 2016 16:53:35

When Does Saving on Shipping Go Too Far?

By: Reader

I need to ship out some vintage empty wooden crates ... fruit crates and old shipping crates. They are 100% empty.

If I were to over-pack them in a cardboard box and before sealing it toss in a paperback book,... Does that qualify me for media mail? After all, I'm just shipping a book - albeit in a "double-wall" box. ;-)

Or would a postal inspector perhaps kick my butt if I were "inspected"?
Thanks!
Jim

When Does Saving on Shipping Go Too Far?   When Does Saving on Shipping Go Too Far?

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 27 17:00:31 2016

I'm betting the postal inspector will be kicking your butt.

But if it was me I would try it. I'm into getting kicked around once in a while and just maybe the post office would be to ignorant and not even bother with it. Seems lately our office is more concerned about checking first class mail for extra postage.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 27 18:54:39 2016

Please tell me you aren't asking for advice relating to the 'cleverness' of a plan to defraud the USPS.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Oct 27 22:52:07 2016

@Jim - I see a major butt-kicking in your future. I hope you are aware that the post office has the authority to open any package that is shipped via media mail, and what you are suggesting constitutes mail fraud. Five years in prison is not worth the few dollars you'd be saving. Not to mention the $250K fine you'd be slapped with.

by: Linda This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 27 23:28:29 2016

Really? Is this even a real question? We as sellers depend on the USPS to deliver thousands of packages, and in return, we pay our ''dues'' for a great service. Why in the world would you even begin to think this would be OK? This is theft. Palin & simple. Unbelievable!

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 27 23:40:40 2016

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 27 23:47:54 2016

You apparently think your PO clerks are idiots. My main PO guy, an ex-marine, would kick you all the way to police department. They are so used to the weight of legitimate packages, they can tell pretty quickly when a weight is funny - too much or not enough.

Do the right thing and pay the right price and sleep at night.

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 27 23:49:15 2016

Usually at my post office when someone says media mail now they look at it and say that is not media mail when it's not. They are strict because there are so many packages. I happen to have a good post office; they are not all the same  They tell them they have to pay more. Compared to UPS or FEDEX you have a great deal. I don't know if that is considered mail fraud but it you get on the radar it could be. I like the people at the post office but I am nice to everyone. I like to have pleasant experiences and people are more helpful when you treat them with respect GENERALLY supervisor is not that way! Told me she would not give me the express mail guarantee fee back because Washington DC has no Saturday delivery! Say what? It's the headquarters people, it's a major city. There were two like that and she gave me one. For some reason it counts against sending  P.O it seems.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Oct 28 00:13:45 2016

With all DUE respect, you are exactly the kind of seller that has caused ebafia to assume ALL of us are sleazy criminals.

by: Golddustwoman This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 28 00:14:14 2016

I can't believe this question made it onto this blog and that people have actually responded to it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Oct 28 00:15:49 2016

@Linda

"...This is theft. Palin & simple...

ROTFL!

by: Leesantiques This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 28 04:25:32 2016

You are proposing to commit fraud.  Plain and simple.

Not okay at all!!!

Lee

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 28 05:16:58 2016

Take the order to UPS and have them pack and ship it for you.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 28 06:43:10 2016

So to stir up some more critical remarks let me ask this.

Whats the difference in what he wants to do than just tossing a book into a wooden box and shipping it media mail. No outer wrap just a wooden box. Hey guys check with your post master. I'm betting it will go as media mail.

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 28 09:18:19 2016

I doubt any post office really checks a package that is packaged up and looks like a book. In this case, if they opened it and saw the package was full of books why would they think it was anything other than a shipment of books? That being said, the intention by the seller is sleazy. Hopefully, it's just a hypothetical question!

by: Linda This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 28 09:23:23 2016

@Ming the Merciless - LOL! Maybe this person is taking Economics 101 from our politicians!

by: go-figure This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 28 09:59:05 2016

Is Jim from China? Sounds like something a Chinese seller would do. Sheesh.

by: trader_chris This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 28 10:08:35 2016

Jim - since you've already been shamed plenty, I'll give you some practical advice. Just buy some plastic wrap (heavy duty shipping wrap is preferred, but kitchen reynolds wrap will do in a pinch). Put several layers around your crate and you can ship it "as is". I used to ship wine crates to buyers that way and UPS / FEDEX shouldn't have any problem with it. Good luck. ~ Trader Chris

by: toyman This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 28 10:45:03 2016

Dumb, dumb, dumb...oh, and also, Dum de Dum Dum - dah.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Fri Oct 28 15:52:46 2016

Is it legal? If so, Jim is entitled regardless of perceived stretching of postal limits. A frugal shipper might opt for this method to ship a fragile, antique leather first edition book.

by: rapidreader This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 28 17:12:55 2016

I would think the intention is wrong, but strangely enough I have done this with the ''Cutie'' (little tangerines)crates back when I sold books on Ebay to protect some collectible books from shipping damage.

I generally overpack my shipments because I worked in the shipping and mailroom departments at one company (separate jobs, locations) and saw the damage all the carriers can provide.

I still cringe at the thought of sending a single pb book in a padded or bubble mailer even when I wrap it in craft paper first.