Wed Oct 19 2016 10:33:29

Does eBay Punish Sellers Who Report Too Many Bad Buyers?

By: Reader

Between 9/16 and 10/10, I reported 10 buyers to eBay for various reasons (misuse of returns, accepting an offer than immediately asking for cancellation, feedback extortion, etc). Since then, our sales, impressions, and views have all plummeted.

I know eBay will never admit it, but does reporting buyers hurt sellers in search results?

I've tried everything these last couple of weeks from revising pricing, making sure MPNs are all listed, and even taken some new photos but nothing seems to be getting us better search results.

I've come to expect that eBay will always favor the buyer, but punishing sellers for doing exactly what eBay suggests when buyers try to misuse the system seems way out of line when it's bad buyer's that are scaring a lot of their sellers away.
Sean

Does eBay Punish Sellers Who Report Too Many Bad B   Does eBay Punish Sellers Who Report Too Many Bad B

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 10:54:29 2016

Ebay has its own way of weeding out perceived troublemakers.

None of which they would admit to. Probably why when you report someone nothing is done. Ebay is more worried about sellers being a pain in the hind that they are about any buyer who leaves more than a few negatives or abuses the system. Buyers have nothing to lose by blackmailing etc sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Oct 19 12:41:27 2016

OP states "Since then, our sales, impressions, and views have all plummeted."

Who really knows what punishments eBay dole out for various reasons, even reasons such as a buyer requesting a return, but I would not necessarily look at the lack of sales, impressions and views due to you reporting buyers.

I've witnessed the same thing, especially since "we are going to reconnect with small sellers Wenig" took the reigns.

Who ever knew that sales and views could be worse than when Donahoe was at the helm, but they are.

I think that small sellers on eBay are being "manipulated" out of business.

by: Bignfuzzy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 13:04:11 2016

We typically report 3-5 a week of 500+ buyers.  Never noticed any retaliation.

However every time we fill out on of those stupid surveys on the return process and say that we are extremely unlikely to recommend selling on ebay to a friend - the retaliation is nearly immediate - a 20-30% reduction in sales which lasts 2-3 weeks.  We don't fill out surveys anymore.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 13:32:31 2016

anti ebay remarks on the discussion boards will also get your sales to drop.

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 19 13:53:56 2016

I also think I have been punished for filling out the surveys honestly, and will never fill one out again.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Oct 19 18:03:34 2016

@Bignfuzzy and @hopeforthebest - You mean "you spoke we listened" is a myth?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Oct 19 20:07:27 2016

Awh Jack, you are way too funny!  But certainly spot on!

Because Ebay has so many secrets when it come to searches, visibility and ranking, it causes a lot of mistrust [earned] and gossip.

None of us knows for sure that Ebay punishes us for what we do on threads or surveys.  It is just guess work and sometimes paranoia.

I always fill out the surveys honestly and I do say I would not recommend Ebay for another seller.  My sales do not go down because of it.  Heck if it did that, my sales would be practically non existent, LOL.

I've been on many threads where my comments are not so kind to Ebay, still my sales are pretty steadily in the toilet, it changed nothing.  And on the flip side of that, when I say that Ebay is not doing anything wrong in some cases, my sales don't magically go up either.

No one really knows except some at Ebay what is really involved in this stuff.  So my advice to all of us is don't waste your time and brain power on this, it is a complete waste of your time.  We will probably never know the true facts of visibility and search results.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Oct 20 07:02:56 2016

Marie says "We will probably never know the true facts of visibility and search results."

I believe this to be true, but based on the fact that over the last five years, at a certain time of the year (usually spring or early summer), many sellers see their sales take a big dive and sales never recover to what they once were. Too many sellers voice their concern when it happens which makes me feel pretty confident that I am correct. It is as if eBay pulls another lever to further reduce sellers' visibility, which of course lowers their sales.

I have always attributed it to mission creep.  I think this was the plan when Donahoe became CEO and I think sellers are pushed down a little more each year.  As a result, many sellers have left.  And those sellers will likely never buy on eBay again.

by: Frank F This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 20 08:01:38 2016

YES, and they punish you for reporting counterfeit trademark infringing items too, and NEVER take any action to take down the counterfeit items.

And they need a report a seller link for the blatant Chinese counterfeiters that are duplicating and stealing every brand we have in America.

Ebay is allowing these foreign criminals to DIRECT RETAIL this stuff to America, undercutting businesses in America (large and small) and its an another round of extermination of American jobs and American wealth!

VOTE TRUMP to put a stop to this MADNESS and punish these low life companies that condone these illegal activities for profit! AMERICA FIRST!!!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Oct 20 13:04:44 2016

I stopped reporting other sellers 10 years ago!

I mind my own business and hope others do the same. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Oct 20 13:28:04 2016

@rexford

IMHO it had nothing to do with surveys, threads or any of that kind of stuff.  On the other hand, I don't know why Ebay does what it does throttling sellers in the first place for any reason.  It never has made sense to me.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Oct 20 14:00:34 2016

David & Ina did a search test last month. We all got different results.

To see if Throttling is true or not we should see if everyone can see the same item?

We need to pick something and see if we can all see it in search.

That's the real test if throttling is real or not.

I still don't believe it exists!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Oct 20 15:10:07 2016

@toolguy

That won't work as they don't hide the same listings for all geographical locations at the same time.

It is a FACT that Ebay  hides listing, all you need to do is read your user agreement to know that.  Ebay tells you that they are doing it and you've agreed to it if you are a seller on Ebay.

But hiding listings is not the same thing as throttling sales.  It certainly does play a part, but it isn't the whole thing.

For me,  I get roughly the same NUMBER of sales every month.  It is really consistent and has been since mid 2014.  That number of sales is much lower than I use to have prior to 2014.  Because it is my transaction count that seems to be stuck, my sales vary depending on the value of the sale.

Others have documented that they are stuck at a certain $$ value and have been for quite awhile.

Whichever it is, the affect is the same, Ebay throttles sellers.  If they didn't, month in and month out, numbers would not be so amazingly close to each other.

But again, hiding listings and throttling are not the same thing.  Hiding certainly can play a part in throttling, but it isn't the entire picture.

by: Joey4711 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 20 22:43:10 2016

I don't think ebay is retaliating but imploding.  They might be able to goose sales if you will GMV up 5% but most of that I understand is through Stub Hub.

Ebay is sinking and dying Wenig seems to be trying to save it.  There are two problems as I see them that is the reason the implosion continues. One is advertisements right on the site that take you off the site to another vendor (what other company does this?).

Amazon used to let vendors advertise their websites but quit it after they found that many Amazon buyers would no longer go to Amazon. Whoever controls the customer controls the relationship.

Ebay is so greedy and hurting for money they allow this advertising to continue to happen because they want to make numbers today.  Wenig is smart enough to know you shouldn't advertise Wal-Mart and their listings all day long especially since Amazon is ramping up online and will be competing directly with Ebay again and again.

Secondly, I don't think search is broken as like Marie my sales stay the same all the time within $500.00.  Whether I double my listings or not.  I think this is due to the fact that the preferreds such as Toysrus, and others get the search visibility which is mandated in my view by contracts they have signed (meaning Ebay promised them so much in sales).

With the ship sinking they have to provide their preferreds what the contract specifies or Feebay doesn't get the bonuses income they would get if the seller doesn't reach the numbers.

Ebay has the issue of to many sellers and not enough buyers. To Pace's point, sellers typically flip product on Ebay that is more difficult to do as most sellers are buyers what ebays needs is more buyers. Yet, they continue down the path of promoted listings to garner more growth (yet buyers are purchasing maybe once maybe twice until they learn they paid so much more) because ebay is getting a bigger cut. Thus, the buyer goes and looks on other sites for the cheaper prices.

To bad they wouldn't provide me 500K I would spend a year with them and help them fix these issues or maybe I would be unsuccessful.  As I think Ebay knows the issues, but the ship is sinking and they are doing all they can to placate Wall Street...so promoted listings, advertising in listings although taking revenue most likely leading buyers to purchase more items off of Ebay etc.  If it wasn't for Stub Hub Ebay would see a drop in GMV in my view.  I am guessing about 15%.

by: Joey4711 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 20 22:49:48 2016

One more point they complain about off site sales, however they take 10% of most items so a collectible sells for $2000 they get $200.00.  The problem is if they took only 5% which is a $100.00 the seller could list it for $1900 and it sell much faster. That is why I have differentiated to other venues and it has been a great blessing.  As on Facebook if you haven't already there is no fees.  Do pininterest promoted listings and drive them to your website. Why the hell would I use the pininterest button to drive buyers to ebay from my pin interest page?  If Ebay were to cut my fees by doing so I do it all day long.  They do not so all my pininterest pins go to my website directly.  I do not sell off ebay if someone asks from ebay if the contact was made on ebay I only sell on ebay.  Yet, if someone comes to my website directly I sell to them all day long at cheaper prices.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philo

Thu Oct 20 23:40:00 2016

To the sellers that have magically lost sales because of the search and impressions-

Next time it happens can you check to see if your competitors are still making sales (sold listings etc) as well as Amazon.  I am curious if the marketshare (the buyers) are still there but going to other sellers.  I keep saying I will do this but it is the last thing on my mind when sales are depressed.

Unfortunately I may get my chance as I filled out a survey yesterday and lit them up.

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 21 00:14:09 2016

Who knows? Sales were brisk in September and early October than suddenly slowed Could be the election and the uncertainty in general about all parts of it.  I remember during the last two sales went down, in a way that is a good thing because at least people are engaged then when it ends they will be relived and start buying maybe. Let's hope for a robust Christmas and peace after elections.

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 21 00:15:45 2016

Problem is too many venues and eBay fees are high and are not the "go to site" for most things. I go to eBay when I want the best deal provided that seller has good feedback.

by: MartinFrank This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 21 01:41:16 2016

In comparing my sales to last year I am up 11% but month over month I am down over 18%... I have been selling on eBay for over 17 years and it is a cyclical business,  meaning that there are times your sales will increase and from personal experience, there are times it will be slow, like right now. However, overall, I have found sales will be consistent with the number of items and the value of your items listed.

I have never noticed a correlation between reporting buyers or filling out surveys that have impacted my business.

The rhythm of eBay is just that... a rhythm that is impacted by many things such as pay periods and the ''current economic mood'' and if you pay attention to it you will see how it works.

If your sales stink then list more items, different items... You have to ''work it'' to make it work for you.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 21 02:14:01 2016

I guess I will wade in the opposite of most. I wish there was still the number of American sellers we use to have on Ebay. American Sellers are the biggest buyers. If they are making money they are spending some of that money on Ebay. I used to to do that and other sellers lined up to buy my items.