Tue Oct 11 2016 13:06:02

eBay Breaks Its Own Rules in a Case of Buyers Remorse

By: Reader

I have a story that I think might interest many ebayers. Something outrageous happened to me today (as a seller).

On October 5 buyer opened a return request with reason "changed mind". She said she loved the item, but the complained that embellishment on it is attached "flimsily".

This was an item in like new condition with no issues and there was nothing wrong with how it was attached. I declined the return, I am a no-returns seller and was able to do this, since "changed mind" is considered a buyers remorse.

Today, on October 10th, while I was at work and unable to do anything, eBay somehow resurrected CLOSED case for BUYERS REMORSE and turned it into an OPEN case for SNAD.

Within hours, the case was closed in buyers favor. I was told that I have 5 days to arrange return shipping (no option to send a label, I was advised to do all those communications through eBay messages and personal emails), if I don't, they would remove money (that were already on hold) from my account and let buyer keep an item.

I have never had anything like this happen. First of all, a closed return request can not be reopened. It was not an "appeal" on buyer's part, because right now I have an option to appeal as well.

Second, even if we assume that somehow this ok to happen, I was NOT given 3 days to work it out or try to prove that item was as described. They just opened it and closed it immediately.

On the phone with eBay I tried to get them to read me an eBay policy under which this has been done. Rep searched for it for 20 minutes and didn't find anything (because it doesn't exist).

I was transferred to a supervisor and he said that while there might not be a policy like this in the rules, what has been done is "consistent with the idea of eBay money back guarantee" (exact words) and I somehow agree to this "idea" if I use eBay.

E.

eBay Breaks Its Own Rules in a Case of Buyers Remo   eBay Breaks Its Own Rules in a Case of Buyers Remo

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 11 13:54:35 2016

Ebays playground. They play by their own set of rules which are made up when necessary to fit any senario.

Thus you lose.

by: woeisme This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 11 15:14:25 2016

When a seller has a no return policy, buyer automatically opens SNAD to get the item refunded.  Even with a return policy, many buyers claim SNAD to get initial shipping and shipping back paid by seller.  Never been fair and never will be.  Ebay always sides with buyer.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 11 15:24:58 2016

You have buyer's money and buyer is not happy. The moral of the story is your customer's satisfaction comes first. Buyer is always right.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Oct 11 19:32:03 2016

On eBay, the buyer is always going to win. Always.

That's why I doubt I'll ever sell on eBay again, because as a seller I'd have no power despite what my polices state. Just like Indiana Jones, eBay is making it up as they go.

by: Carol This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 11 23:31:36 2016

I think you're right that this isn't fair to the seller, but I also think it is an argument you cannot win (the exact same thing has happened to others).  I suspect that a no-returns policy increases the chances that a customer will find a "flaw" and ebay is very unlikely ever to make a judgment about whether a perceived flaw is real or not.

by: Cyclewizer This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 11 23:38:22 2016

Once eBay forces your buyer to request the return from you, they have created and initiated a case against you, unbeknownst to you the seller. That is why they can close the return/case in the buyers favor without any type of response from you ahead of time. This is automated and programmed to automatically create a favorable outcome for the buyer. Additionally it now counts against your seller profile and could put you under standard in eBay's eyes. eBay will only allow you to appeal, however they are training their representatives to do everything necessary to skew things in the buyers favor despite very good arguments made by sellers to the contrary. eBay benefits include final value fee retention, as the fees are kept. Additionally they are very actively selling return postage and charging the sellers for that privilege. So in summation there is more money for the eBay coffers in the return than there was in the initial sale. eBay has also worked out that in 75-80% of the cases the buyer will take the refunded amount and apply it to a different version of what they wanted initially, so the whole process starts anew. Avery well thought out fraud, being perpetrated regularly on your friendly neighborhood eBay seller as we speak.

by: Golddustwoman This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 11 23:59:57 2016

I agree with others who think a ''no returns'' policy is unwise.  eBay doesn't recommend it and they always side with the buyer. This is what gets me:  If I bought something from any other retailer, and decided I didnt' like the item, I would be responsible for paying the return shipping.  But on eBay, not only do buyers feel entitled to free return shipping or a free product due to buyer's remorse, the seller has to deal with eBay siding against them.  It's such a slap in the seller's face. It sucks, but that's eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Wed Oct 12 00:22:48 2016

This could be a whole new topic. Have you noticed in b&m stores sales personnel have become rude to paying customers but online, especially on eBay, buyers have become rude and difficult to sellers? Being old school I was taught the customer is always right (even if they are not). Believe me, eBay is not trying to take the high road here, they are taking the self-serving money road.

With that being said everything has become topsy turvy with kids talking back to their parents, buyers making things up (lying) to get refunds, etc. Sure this has always gone on but not to the extent it has become now. I might as well add in the presidential election. Nothing presidential about it.

A seller can only do the best they can even with a no return policy. Sure it is eBay's playground but it is the sellers acquired & paid for items. The sellers do all the work with listing the items, photos, shipping etc and eBay does nothing but conspire against the seller knowing most sellers do not have the time or money to keep fighting it.
We can only do the best we can and hopefully, as sellers, the money will follow (rephrased quote).

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Wed Oct 12 00:56:26 2016

The 'Olde Resurrection Trick' — I know it well. SNAD is like a rising phoenix. Best ploy in the book to have the shop shipped to your home without losing a dime.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Oct 12 02:49:53 2016

A "Return Request" is NOT the same thing as a "claim".  While a seller certain can respond to the Return Request and state they will not accept a return, that does nothing to close the "Request".  Only a buyer or Ebay can do that.

So undoubtedly what happened here was that the buyer was not impressed by the seller's response and escalated the "Request" to Ebay, which that action turns it into a claim.  Once it became a claim, it is either a SNAD or INR.  And an SNAD is the only thing that would work in this case.

So now the buyer probably complained to Ebay that it was flimsy or whatever their complaint was about the item, which would be why Ebay is forcing the seller to either take the return and refund or they will step in and force the refund without the return of the product.

I'm not saying that is right, I'm just stating how it works sometimes.  And this is possibly how it worked in this case.

by: Tim This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 12 05:33:23 2016

"So, now eBay reps are allowed to make judgement calls based on their "ideas" instead of following official guidelines?"

by: joker13 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 12 06:13:19 2016

I stopped selling on ebay years ago and would NEVER do so again! Sellers do not have a prayer if the buyer chooses to be nasty. This is completely wrong but ebay holds all the cards and will do whatever they want. Just my two cents!

by: Watching the Wheels This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 12 06:30:38 2016

I've sold on 4 different sites and DO NOT BUY FROM NO RETURN SHOPS. be it a B&M or online.

MY money makes it my decision, so I extend that courtesy to whomever chooses to buy my products. I am also OLD SCHOOL. I maintain a 5 star rating and quite frankly have very few returns. It's less than 1%, and I have gotten some of my best feedback from problem orders.

A little bit of courtesy goes a long way.

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 12 06:54:07 2016

Hello?? EBAY??

Maybe this is why sellers have taken off for the hills, and almost NEVER sell high priced items on your site anyore.

GOD KNOWS no one with any common sense would sell a tuxedo, or designer formal wear given these idiotic rules.

And folks, if you ever have a high end party to go to, choose your outfit on ebay, cause you can wear it, stain it, and then return it without so much as a rental fee.

My recommendation is you institute returns and a 20% restocking fee right now. At least you minimize the possible loss.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Oct 12 06:57:11 2016

I guess the thing that I have never understood is that why does eBay allow a seller to have a no-return policy when they really don't.  More proof that eBay is not "just a platform".

Love bitbybit's "the self-serving money road" phrase.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rural artist

Wed Oct 12 07:43:13 2016

I was on the automated return but realized it bypasses buyer pays return ship and restocking fee. Has anyone else noticed this?

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 12 09:15:28 2016

I am part of the pilot return program and I got to ''test'' it last week.
Seller still loses.
Basically, buyer complains ''used'' item is not used enough. Not a collector item, but a bunch of necklaces. Normal person would think that is a wacky reason for return. Her email was angry, ranting and frankly crazy.  I approve and pay the return shipping, but this one only returned 4 of 5 sets as well.
My choice was to full refund, hold back the shipping I just paid to get it back (insignificant) or escalate.
Regular returns escalate means seller loses - so I called my dedicated anchor store CSR. LOL. First one tells me I need to switch browsers? I hang up and call again. Second one advises me to see if she will admit she kept one, if so she will lose if not I will have to escalate. Ok, emailed, she is still nuts. Very little room to write an explanation but I do.
Instead of getting an automatic decline and loss, they waited 4 days then sent me the decline along with a form letter about how it is all or nothing for me. They cannot just give them back the refund for what they returned and plus I have no proof.
So new return process, same as old.
They are just partners in Crime.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 12 09:53:19 2016

I have mentioned this a few times before but here goes again - we sellers are going to deal with a certain (low) percentage of buyers who are either extreme picky or mentally unbalanced. Live with it. For example I ask you go to your local Walmart and watch the return desk for a bit - usually a never ending line of returns and most are probably nonsense. I had a crazy buyer open a return of large piece of furniture this week saying he found a tiny chip on 1 of 3 large pieces. He called me at home 6 times. I checked feedback he leaves for others and see he almost always leaves negatives. It was just my turn to get a whacko this week!

by: cillianred This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 12 10:34:30 2016

@spooky

Well said!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Oct 12 10:49:42 2016

Spooky, a retailer (online or otherwise) with an uber liberal return policy should expect what you have described.

Thankfully there are some retailers out there who are cracking down on such nonsense.

Moreover, an online retailer who advertises "RETURN SHIPPING IS ON US" is just encouraging returns.

1 2 3  [Next Page]