Sat Oct 8 2016 18:40:56

eBay Turbo Lister Problem Stems from Windows Issue

By: Reader

I saw your post about eBay Turbo Lister on Windows XP here.

I encountered the same problem last week. eBay Turbo Lister will no longer upload listings or connect to eBay in ANY capacity. It gives the error message: "The connection with the server was reset".

The problem isn't with TL per se, but with Windows XP's internal internet components, which TL utilizes. I fired up Internet Explorer 8 (haven't ran it in YEARS), and lo and behold, it can't access any secure sites (only non-secure sites).

No problems at all in SeaMonkey or my other internet programs, none of which rely on XP/IE components. That means that the problem is with Windows XP, not TL itself. Of course, if eBay's programmers wouldn't have been lazy and wrote their own networking components in the program, then this problem would not exist.

Likely, there's an updated version of some encryption or protocol that XP/IE8 does not support, and eBay *just* updated to that encryption/protocol within the past week or two. (I had no problem uploading listings in TL on Sept. 10, 2016 - about 20 days ago.)

The obvious answer is to upgrade to a newer version of Windows, but that is not possible at this moment due to time and financial reasons. Besides, with the news that eBay will discontinue Turbo Lister in June 2017, even if I got TL working again, it would cease to function next year.

So, I have to see if I can find a FREE Windows program that will allow me to create/ save/ maintain listings OFFLINE (with bulk editing) and manually upload them en masse to eBay whenever I want. I have a feeling that such a thing does not exist.
Yours Truly,
Paul

eBay Turbo Lister Problem Stems from Windows Issue   eBay Turbo Lister Problem Stems from Windows Issue

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 9 07:03:05 2016

I'm not sure the writer is correct either.

We have 4 new computers we just purchased last month that have windows 7 on them. ( Yes you can still buy them from Toshiba online. Costs an extra 100 but well worth it.)

Each computer is dedicated to a seperate store. We run turbo lister daily and have had no problems. In fact just listed about 50 GTL auctions this morning without a problem.

by: Donkey This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 9 09:18:18 2016

I sure hope ebay changes their mind on discontinuing Turbo Lister.
That will be the end of my ebay business if I cannot upload my items to ebay.
 Why would any company like this continue to make it hard for sellers to use their site.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Oct 9 13:12:06 2016

@donkey

There are other providers of a service like TL.  We have some time to research and pick the alternative that best fits our needs.

I too like TL and it saves me a bunch of time plus it is free.  That always helps.  It is my hope however that if sellers that use TL voice our concerns long enough and loud enough, they will reconsider getting rid of it.  So make sure your voice is heard on the Ebay threads whenever you can.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 9 15:29:34 2016

All that noise. Ebay doesn't care if you want TL ended or not.

For their reasons they are doing it. Noise never has gotten much done on Ebay.

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 9 20:55:48 2016

You can use Ebay's File Exchange to upload, download, or update listings.

It works via CSV or other standard data files, so once you get past the learning curve it can be used across multiple applications.

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 10 01:14:37 2016

How come ebay.com doesn't even work on IE8? It just times out and its like the internet is down.

Firefox 3.6: times out (you can go to my.ebay.com though)
Chrome 49: Request times out

I've never seen any other website that just fails to load on these browsers (chrome 49 is the latest for XP).

Only thing on XP that you can still use ebay.com is Opera

by: Vigilant Eye On eBay This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 10 01:41:57 2016

Re: ''I fired up Internet Explorer 8 (haven't ran it in YEARS), and lo and behold, it can't access any secure sites (only non-secure sites).''

Bingo!

Per se, the problem isn't directly related to your use of Windows XP.

The problem is the outdated version of IE.

Although I am using the Windows 7 operating system, because of security and compliance issues, many of the sites that I regularly log into stopped supporting IE 9, which forced me to upgrade to IE 10.

While Opera is my primary browser, Windows updates and certain pieces of software (such as Turbo Lister) will not operate if IE has been removed from one's computer.

The bad news is that neither IE 9 or IE 10 (which as of January 12, 2016 are no longer supported by Microsoft) are compatible with XP.

Your only option might be to locate a cheap computer with Windows 7 on it.

Windows 7 is compatible with IE 11, the last version of IE that was released by Microsoft.

IE has been replaced by Microsoft Edge, which is likely one of the reasons why eBay is looking to retire Turbo Lister.

Like a few others, now that Turbo Lister is about to be retired, I have moved off of eBay and onto my own ecommerce site.

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 10 01:46:19 2016

Right now I am running win7 with IE8 and turbolister working fine. The only difference I can seem to find with the IE8 on XP and 7 is that the XP one is 128bit and the 7 one is 256bit. If the XP one can be pushed to 256bit, TL might actually work there.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Mon Oct 10 01:47:11 2016

I have W7 and I was able to update my listings etc. but I can not run an export and that is the only reason I have it. I tried file exchange before but it never seemed to work right.
I tried W8 on about 4 different laptops and returned them all a couple of years ago and bought a tablet instead. W8 is a bunch of crap and they should have never released it. My wife has a notebook with W10 on it and it seems to work OK but it is not something I would use since it seems to be made for dummies just like all of your apple products. I want to be able to customize what and how I do something andit is really a problem trying to configure those to work right for me.
I still have an XP I use also but that is going by the wayside since you can not get any updates in FF or chrome.
Chrome is a Linux based application and it looks like in the future here i am going to have to use that or another Linux based operating system like Mint or something like I did back in the 80's. I like W7 a lot but I do not know how long MS is going to support it.

by: Donkey This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 10 09:19:14 2016

Marie,
The other listing providers that  I have looked at will add another $75-$100 to the cost of doing business each month.  Do you know of any that are free or with a low cost.

I have tried the ebay message boards to state my displeasure with ebay changes.  Found that it negatively impacts your ebay account if you say anything negative about ebay.
It is like North Korea where they only want you to say how great ebay is.

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 10 11:34:51 2016

>I tried file exchange before but it never seemed to work right.

I had a job for 7 years where I was basically a data analyst and ran SQL queries through excel to pull data from the database, run filters, find/replace & updates on it pushed back to the database and consider myself an advanced excel user and still can't get file exchange to work right. Here's why

1. I really don't do bulk. Most of my items are oneoffs, and if there is similar items, not more than about 10. I might create 25 listing in a day, max, and thats in an afternoon spending 4-6 hours. I don't want to wait until the end of the day to upload all the listings only to find I have to correct a bunch of errors.
2. I adjust prices when I relist. 30 days no sale? drop 10% off and relist. repeat until sold or item has been there 9-12 months and under $10 and toss.
3. errors. I can't seem to get rid of the errors,"this field is wrong" or something to the effect of something should or shouldn't be in a field. After uploading it 10-12 times and still getting cryptic errors I pretty much give up.

by: ox-mix This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 10 13:50:57 2016

eBay's replacement for TL is Seller Hub, an existing tool that is supposed to be free to use, like TL. By the time TL is decommissioned Seller Hub is supposed to be upgraded to include the features of TL. The major difference - without an internet connection you can still work on TL, adding/deleting/editing entries, attaching pics, etc. You only need an internet connection to upload your listings. Seller Hub, however, is a cloud-based tool, which means you have to have an internet connection to perform the above functions. So if your internet is down, you can't do any work until it's restored. Presumably, it also means that your listings may be accessible should someone hack eBay's system. Of course, if you don't maintain your own computer security then someone can access your listing information as well. One other advantage of Seller Hub is that you no longer need to perform downloads or updates. My primary concern is - will eBay have a system in place that will allow current TL users to transfer or migrate their current TL listings to Seller Hub? Some sellers have thousands of items currently in their TL system. I would hope that eBay wouldn't expect them to re-enter all of those listings into Seller Hub. But with the way eBay acts, I certainly wouldn't put it past them.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Wed Oct 12 17:37:46 2016

eBay's website is hot garbage like so many others.  You can't blame this on Windows or Internet Explorer.  If your duhvelopers don't know HTML or JavaScript, they're going to keep bungling everything they get their mitts on.