Sat Jan 30 2016 11:36:19

eBay Catalog Changes Prompt Concerns over Product Safety

By: Reader

I can not believe that with all eBay's strict requirements for item details they missed the boat on this one which I personally feel is very important.

In the Health & Beauty Category they have removed the expiration date in item specifics for vitamins.

They also have removed from Sunscreen which is very important because the SPF does have a expiration date. Not sure how many others they have missed.

This will only encourage the selling of expired products which is already a problem.
Can you let eBay know of this problem?
Thanks,
Concerned

eBay Catalog Changes Prompt Concerns over Product   eBay Catalog Changes Prompt Concerns over Product

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 30 14:54:35 2016

Ebay doesn't care. You buy at your own risk,

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jan 30 19:47:06 2016

While I certainly agree that what the OP states is a real problem, you can add your own ISBs [item specific box].  I suggest you do that and I think responsible seller will do it as well.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 31 08:22:00 2016

ebay is only a venue when it comes to any public safety

The chineese continue to air freight tons of restricted Lithium ion batteries every single day, thru the safety blanket of ebay.

Expired, Restricted, Un-Safe, Fake, Stolen,  Sell it on ebay,

No Worries, the report button is fake too.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 1 09:54:05 2016

@maxmad

Yes, the 'Report Item' button/function is 100% bogus. They don't even take action against fee evaders.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 1 17:26:26 2016

ebay absolutely ignores the ''Report Item''

We really stopped reporting items a long time ago, they simply do not do anything, even a few months ago we reported some items, same outcome, ebay did nothing, and the seller has almost quadrupled the amount of items since.

I would certainly put equal blame on ebay if I were a victim of buying and using something and was injured, it's terrible what ebay is doing, pure and simple, it's wrong in every way, and I can only hope that one day they will pay dearly for it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Feb 2 03:19:15 2016

@maxmad

While Ebay certainly should not have removed the ISBs that the OP is talking about, a seller can simply add them back in.  The information does not have to be missing from the listing unless the seller chooses for it to be missing.

It will take the seller a few seconds to add the ISBs back into the listing, but their listings will be more informative with them than without.

I'm not sure how you can stretch this to make Ebay liable for some injury if the seller makes the choice not to include important information.  This only can become a problem if a seller makes the choice to let it be a problem.

Certainly it would be much nicer if Ebay would bring back these particular ISBs, but in the meantime it is within the sellers control to add the info as needed.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 3 08:27:04 2016

@marie

I respect your opinion, but I disagree,,

A mistake is one thing, but For ebay to purposely leave out ''expiration date'' is irresponsible, sorry I really can't see it any other way.

All it says to a seller is ''not important''  ''not an issue'' ''no worries''

And as the OP points out they know better, and can clearly see an issue, as I would too, and I personally would do as you suggest, add it in manually, but a not so nice seller, can easily see this as an opportunity to unload their ''expired'' products, on an uneducated buyer, without a second thought.

I mean really what's going on with ebay, this is pure thoughtless behavior/ PROGRAMMING or a mistake ?

Maybe if their ''Report Item Button'' actually worked, I would feel a bit more at ease, but every time I use it, to TRY and REPORT AN ITEM nothing happens.

Not a stretch at all,

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Feb 4 02:43:45 2016

@maxmad
I completely agree that Ebay should not have removed those boxes, but just because those boxes were there, there was nothing forcing sellers to use them.  So yes, I think it is a stretch holding Ebay legally responsible in some way because a SELLER decided NOT to put the information in a listing.

Even with the missing ISBs, the seller has complete control of creating an ISB on their own and putting the info into the listing.  Of course it would be easiest and best for Ebay to bring back the predesigned boxes, but until then, Sellers need to take care of business.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 4 10:43:42 2016

@marie

I fully agree with you that ultimately it's the seller who should know better, but it's a situation similar to the judgment LV won against ebay for 61 million, the courts found that  eBay simply did not do enough to stop counterfeit items from being sold on their site, and they lost the lawsuit.

IMO an ''expiration date'' is labeled on products for good reason and that's safety, it's probably one of the most important things you can take warning of,

even for the casual honest seller, having this box in place, would force them to at least check the expiration date before listing, potentially dangerous products, by mistake.

I personally think, and can only hope it was simply overlooked, and once ebay can see their mistake they will add it back in, not only for their own sake, but at least the sake of doing all they can to protect consumers of  potentially dangerous expired products, from being sold on their site.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Feb 4 12:59:25 2016

@maxmad

We just see things differently.  In the various categories that I sell in, there are predesigned ISBs, they don't "force" me in any way to pay attention to them.  I'm so use to seeing them so I automatically use the ones I want to and ignore the rest of them.  And then I create some of my own that I feel should be there.

The existence of an ISB don't "force" a seller to do anything unless Ebay has made them mandatory to fill in.  The ISBs discussed here were never mandatory, at least not when I've ran across them.  Certainly some category may have them as mandatory, but for me, I haven't ran across them.  They may exist, IDK.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 5 10:21:43 2016

@marie

Actually Same story line, just a different ending :)