Wed Jan 27 2016 13:32:46

Shopper Spots a Serious Flaw in eBay and Amazon Search

By: Reader

This evening I had the misfortune to have to look for a new tablet for my granddaughter. After the one she had fell and the screen cracked we decided to look on eBay and Amazon.

We found many similar ones to what she had at many different price points. However!!!

I discovered that there are a LOT of "Not Working Or For Parts" tablets out there. And almost EVERY TIME I found one at a decent price I had to click thru only to find that notation! There were a LOT of items priced at the SAME price points that were working - and a lot at the SAME price that were - not.

I sell on eBay but I have never listed anything like this. So I was surprised to see that there was apparently some way to note ON the listing page itself that the item had issues - so why is it so hard to make this known to the BUYERS before we click thru? How HARD would it be for both eBay and Amazon to use some sort of notation or icon to INDICATE that the item is NOT WORKING?

If you WANTED to buy one to refurb or to harvest parts - you would know right away that this was something to look at - and if you only wanted a WORKING one - you would avoid the ones with the Broken Plate Icon.

This is SUCH a time and energy waster. After an hour I had a few items on my WATCH list on eBay and after a further 30 minutes I had a total of 2 in my LIST on Amazon - but I should have been in and done in 30 minutes tops. Considering that I was looking for a particular brand and knew what I wanted; this SHOULD have been easy-peasy.

I am not sure if this is something that is too considerate for eBay - after all it would HELP SELL things; but Amazon should already have this.

We know that people from eBay and Amazon read this blog; perhaps they can take this back to the Board Room!
Thanks,
Comet

Shopper Spots a Serious Flaw in eBay and Amazon Se   Shopper Spots a Serious Flaw in eBay and Amazon Se

by: 1beck3 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 27 13:53:15 2016

Is this a serious post? If it is, I love your subtle sense of humor, Ina........

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 27 14:24:22 2016

As a buyer it is expected that you would read the description before buying. If you don't you have no one to blame but yourself.

This is not a serious flaw. It has been this way forever.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 27 16:21:25 2016

@op Comet

Yes, searching these sites for items, is tedious, you also should be aware, that ebay is not showing you all available listings, and some can be hidden, you really need to do searches over extended period of times, as well as clearing your cookies, sometimes will help bring up new results as well as obtaining a different ip address with connection reboot and or using ''in private'' Internet explorer.

It's very upsetting after you have purchased what you think is the best deal, only to find out an hour or two later, sometimes even days later there was a better item that had been for sale all along, but was not shown, in search.

Search manipulation is quite rabid with these sites, and all it accomplishes is makes the buyer feel ripped off, as well as the seller,

obviously it make them money, so they will continue to do it, and the few customers that find out, and finds it offensive, is of no concern to these large greedy corrupt corporations.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jan 27 19:32:30 2016

I think a filter for stuff like this would be awesome.  Very helpful to those trying to locate certain things.

Ebay does have some filters, but they are to INCLUDE but there is no filter to exclude.

On the left side of a screen under Condition, you see these options.

New
New Other
Manufacturer Refurbished
Seller Refurbished
Used
For Parts or Not Working

Now Ebay only allows you to check one of those boxes and that is what you are suppose to see, for example New is only suppose to show New items.  That really isn't always the case, but that is what it is suppose to do.

Now there is something just to the left of the word Condition in light colored letters saying "see all".  That will allow you to include more than one condition, however it is NOT the full list of options stated above.  They only allow you New, Used and/or Not Specified.

It would be very helpful to be able to exclude some of these conditions and more than one if desired.  I can see a lot of use for this by lots of potential buyers.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Jan 27 22:51:57 2016

What would be great is if the sellers would alert potential buyers about any problems in the title of their listing, like "1984 Lavender Widget for Parts Only." That way, assuming the buyer is reading the title, they know right away. I've listed some MIB items with more than minimal shelf wear as "Lavender Widget NRFB Box Has Damage." And then I follow up with close-up photos of all the dents and creases in the box.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jan 27 23:58:12 2016

Lots of sellers do that, but I believe the OPs point is they would like those listings not to be returned with the search, they would like to filter them out.

by: unknown This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 28 06:59:01 2016

search for

tablet -not -parts

in the tablets category and you knock out 50,000+ items and then use the stuff on the left to narrow down what you want.

This user has validated their user name. by: baconsdozen

Thu Jan 28 09:42:19 2016

Are Ebay and Amazon the only sites your computer can find? Too right you need a new one,there are thousands of sites selling tablets out there.Buy direct and cut out these middlemen.

This user has validated their user name. by: thehosst

Fri Jan 29 00:18:51 2016

This is not new, the search shows results for the cheapest stuff unless you have it configured a different way, but a lot of people look for parts, the example of this article related to parts is just one of many, I usually don't search for parts on eBay or Amazon because most of them have poor descriptions or are sold as "it is", I use places like www.Newegg.com or www.tablet.parts. The search is a mess in both Amazon and eBay, I was very surprised the first time a saw a shirt on Amazon with sizes 100 tablets, 200 tablets and 300 tablets as it was a vitamin item. The people who work on those listings are also not very good at all.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Fri Jan 29 00:25:41 2016

A few commenters have missed Comet's point: it should not be so laborious to find what you are looking for. I often utilize @unknown's method of filtering and whittling. On occasion, I will use every last character allowed on the search box while prefacing what I am NOT looking for with a - symbol (approximately 280-290 characters).

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Fri Jan 29 00:29:53 2016

Addendum: whittling down via item specifics does not always do the job-especially if there are thousands and thousands of listings with cross-references.

by: tb This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 29 01:30:01 2016

@baconsdozen Perfect answer!

Amazon/eBay not equal to lowest price. Look around.

This user has validated their user name. by: miketx7

Fri Jan 29 02:50:50 2016

In category ''Watches'' on eBay, sellers are required to state in the headline if a watch does not work or is for parts only, which is exactly what the writer was saying should be done....fine if search turns up working and non-working, but just want to know what to click through and what not to.
Over and out.
Ps--Some guy on here had it exactly right the other day when he asked ''when has eBay EVER helped you out as a seller with a bad buyer''.  I thought back over the last 3 years and said to myself, yeah, that seems to be true, I'll find out tomorrow when I call with this mountain of evidence regarding a bad buyer return. There's no way they can't help me on this one. 3.5 hours into this devil customer demolished returned item claiming not as described, when item was just as described and with 8 high-def in-focus pics from all angles, with 100% satisfaction rate, over 2000 positive feedbacks with zero negative last 12 months, etc. and I'm still stuck with this scum beaches negative feedback in all red at the top of my profile.  Pitiful.  And I quoted this guy to all 4 of the patsie reps including the wench in seller protection department that said she could delete the feedback with one simple little click but that she likes her job and didn't want to loose it so therefore she will not delete the false feedback from a lying scamming buyer. Never never ever do they help a good seller when any objective outsider could clearly see that should be the case.
Ok--I'll quit it now. Right after I say that all you cry baby sellers on this board, might not be so wrong after all.  Others that think so, wait till you really need real help where you've obviously been wronged to the 10th power with lots of proof. If buyer doesn't frickin cuss in their feedback, you keep that feedback forever, no matter what.  Which by the way these lame-o panzies deleted a post I made on eBay boards cause I used the word crapolla....good god is there a more innocent word than that amongst adults. I mean golly gee wilikers, what the hay is going on gosh dang it to heck. I think I even heard Big Bird say crapolla once... but maybe not.  Man, I gotta go. I'm making my own self sick here.  See ya!

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 29 03:24:32 2016

Either you sell ethically or you don't. Ethical sellers put the words for parts or damaged or something to that nature in the title.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Jan 29 05:32:28 2016

@miketx7: eBay is likely to be the most unscrupulous commercial entity operating on this planet; but, have no fear, eBay is an equal opportunity fraudster—demonstrably—they will knowingly aid and abet the defrauding of both buyers and sellers—as long as there is a financial benefit in such fraud for eBay ...

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Fri Jan 29 06:17:41 2016

Clicking through to hundreds of listings and then back clicking is time consuming and exhausting. If another site is easier to navigate, then buyers will go there and buy. Everything about ebay is difficult for both buyers and sellers. Ebay had it all but lost their momentum when they manipulated and forced their disruptive agenda down everyone's throats.

If you want buyers to keep coming back to eBay, eBay needs to keep it simple. Comet's idea of placing an icon on the title to indicate an item not working or for parts only, should be fairly easy to implement. Oh, but this is eBay, so ALL ideas have to go through their red tape powerpoint flow chart perpetual sessions to eventually die off the vine.

Well Comet it was a good idea.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jan 29 07:52:08 2016

iheartjacksparrow says "What would be great is if the sellers would alert potential buyers about any problems in the title of their listing, like "1984 Lavender Widget for Parts Only."

This is exactly what we do. I don't need the headaches that would come with a sale where I haven't fully disclosed the description. I mention these things in the title and several times throughout the listing. Bold, underlined, italics...what ever it takes to beat it into the head of the potential buyer.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 29 08:24:36 2016

last year i tried buying a tablet on ebay.  i wanted a NEW tablet, not refurbished or show model.  clicking the NEW specific on the side gave me all those along with the very few new tablets.  i finally decided there was far less risk for possibly saving $20 from going to best buy and so that's where i went.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Fri Jan 29 08:59:23 2016

Let's remember that the first item sold on eBay was a broken laser pointer.

It is ironic that to this day, with all the data eBay requests/requires sellers enter, management still does not offer an item condition filter that would apply to the first item ever sold in the marketplace.

I believe the reason this item condition filter has not been provided by eBay is the fact that management only considers "one size fits all" solutions.

Management is blinded by OSFA, and since "For Parts Only" is a condition that applies to less than the entire site, management simply does not consider it important or relevant enough to act.

by: topdog This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 29 09:06:58 2016

Froggy, I can't believe you think that it's the buyer's responsibility to find such a critical condition note someplace in the listing! What, were you a loan officer before you started selling on eBay, or the person who started the use of fine print? Yes, one could justify this with "the buyer has the responsibility to read the listing", but come on, too many sellers bury pertinent details like this, knowing that many buyers will miss them (by design). That's wrong on a number of levels, it's also fraud. In a number of areas of commerce today, that type of (non) disclosure can also get you sued (successfully).

1 2 3  [Next Page]