Sun Jan 10 2016 11:19:02

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

By: Reader

In the past five weeks, four bidders have stiffed me on eBay auctions through non-payment.

The reasons are as follows:

1) Absolutely no response to numerous emails from me and eBay.  (A ghost?)

2) I don't remember bidding.  (Sounds like her dog also eats her homework.)

3) My grand daughter bid without my knowledge.  (Must be the same dog.)

4) I will pay you when I get paid.  (Her dog probably doesn't have a job.)

Funny eBay has BIN which alleviates any problems collecting payment.

Why does eBay not link PayPal accounts to auction bids to automatically enforce payment when the auction ends? Am I missing something or does this make a whole lot of sense?

While the world will not end for me, each of these auctions represented significant monies. Receiving a strike for non-payment will not deter these bidders once the strike falls off the record. It will allow them to continue this charade.  They will just be more careful in the future.

In the meantime, I have to relist the item and hope someone else will bid.

I lose and eBay loses. The bidder goes merrily on their way.
D.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Sun Jan 10 12:24:08 2016

If each of these items ''sold'' for (significant money), why not relist each for the same price or more in a Buy It Now listing?

This way, you can require immediate payment. It will take more time to sell your items, but will be worth the wait.

Unfortunately, deadbeat bidders are something we as sellers cannot do anything about. And when suspended, the jokester can assume a new eBay identity, and begin with a clean slate.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 10 16:14:06 2016

There are deadbeat buyers in every segment of business. Its not just a Ebay only thing.

Its just the way todays new generation operate.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

by: cupboardqueen This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 10 19:17:58 2016

As someone who has bought and sold on eBay for 17 years, I agree with the other two commenters that although frustrating, there is really not much that can be done about non-paying buyers. It is part of doing business on eBay and in general. You can’t force people to pay for an item they decide they don’t want. In retail, many “purchased” items end up being returned by buyers, so the merchants actually haven't made those sales. Another way to think of it is that if the buyer wasn't intending to pay, you haven’t actually lost anything except the anticipation of payment…unless there were back bidders who met your minimum price. In that case, you can relist as a “Buy it Now” for the amount of the next highest bid - or start the bidding at that amount - and notify all back bidders that you have relisted. If there were no other bidders, you might consider relisting at a lower asking price. Items that are relisted on eBay multiple times without selling are usually priced too high...an item is only worth what the market will bear. Not what a seller want to hear, but it is the reality.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Jan 10 21:12:38 2016

cupboardqueen says "there is really not much that can be done about non-paying buyers"

Actually there is something that can be done. eBay could require that bidders back up their "binding" bid with a credit card or some other payment source.  Once the auction is won, the payment is automatically made.

eBay could have implemented this long ago. They choose not to. Therefore not only do the sellers lose money due to these deadbeats, so does eBay.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Jan 10 21:54:36 2016

During my eight years selling on eBay I only had a few non-paying bidders. The funny thing was, when I re-listed the items, they always got an ending bid higher than what they originally sold for.

I've always wondered why, especially now that PayPal is the only way to pay, that the winning bidder's PayPal account isn't automatically charged for the winning bid. I guess being forced to pay for an item you've decided you don't really want would make for an unhappy shopping experience. And I've always thought anyone who fails twice to pay for winning bids be banned, permanently, from the site. But since eBay favors buyers and the fees they generate we know that will never happen.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Jan 11 00:33:18 2016

I find this happens more often with newbies and buyers from China. I have yet to collect payment from a single 'buyer' located in China.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 11 01:21:08 2016

I have had a few NPB'er's but actually none from China!  A couple from Europe--most after the insane postal increases of the past few years;  I suspect that these people just did not understand the cost to ship and did not perhaps have the language skills to communicate this to me.  Now I have a note about contacting me before they bid on my listings;  I have managed to take many sales OFF EBAY this way and retain the sale;  get paid;  and ship for far less than what ebay demands we charge (using the class of postage they demand etc).

One other way I have been reaching customers is when some one asks me a question--unless of course it is a really stupid crabby question!---I give them my cell and ask them to TEXT ME---I have "converted"  many ebay listings into sales this way by offering a discount and doing it privately.  I can refer them to my several accounts and perfect FB so they know I am honest.

It's a win win.

Of course IF ebay gave a rats patootie about their SELLERS---they would have linked accounts and refuse to let some one off the hook after they place a bid or do a BIN.

That however---would make SENSE.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

by: Joey4711 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 11 01:36:53 2016

To be fair to Ebay if they forced the payment through Paypal chargebacks would go through the roof in my view.  As customers could say they didn't bid, it wasn't them the cat ate it etc. With buy it now they can do the same but it is more difficult to win those for them.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 11 02:41:30 2016

When there are no consequences, some people will do what they feel like. When it was 'three strikes you're out', people thought twice about it. I recall filing on a deadbeat and *poof* they were NARU'd - I must have been the third seller who filed. There need to be stronger penalties for deadbeats. These are not 'buyers', they're just squatting.

Having said that, I had deadbeat bidders back in 1998 - it's not this 'new generation' - people have been getting stiffed in commerce for millennia - getting stiffed is bad, yes, but at least they're not shoplifting.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jan 11 02:47:51 2016

@joey4711

Why? That doesn't happen on Amazon.  So why would it be different for Ebay?  While certainly someone can make the claim that they didn't bid, that doesn't make it a fact or the truth.

It appears you are stating that a chargeback for an item that was purchased through bidding is easier to win than a chargeback when the purchase happens using BIN.  That certainly is an interesting conclusion.  What makes you come to that conclusion?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jan 11 02:53:42 2016

The OP asks "Why does eBay not link PayPal accounts to auction bids to automatically enforce payment when the auction ends?"  You are correct for many sellers this would work just fine.  However there are many sellers that this would not work well for.  We don't all sell the same kind of stuff nor do we have the same kind of needs out of a venue [Ebay].

For me, about half the types of items I sell buyers will come through and bid on multiple items.  If they are forced to pay when an auction ends, they will be significantly overpaying for S&H.  And I will be overpaying in PP fees [30 cents per payment].  For sellers that run auctions that typically pull buyers purchasing multiple items, the process of Ebay forcing the payment when the auction ends would kill off the multiple purchases and/or drive a seller crazy with all the refunds for overpayment of shipping.  But then the seller is stuck with the extra fees to Ebay as they calculate S&H selling fees on the amount that is paid for S&H.  It does not consider any refund that the seller may give the buyer.

Anyways, it would get very expensive for sellers and/or drive away even more sales.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 11 07:20:09 2016

^^ I agree.  Just fuggedaboutit.  File your No payment claim, block the buyer/bidder and relist with a BIN.

OT:  I have a situation where I refunded a customer for an order not received in 20 days via the USPS.  And we agreed if the order was delivered she would pay me.  Guess what?  The order came 6 days later (blame slow delivery by USPS), and I invoiced her two times for payment and it's been a month, she hasn't paid.  Nothing I can do.  She has the product, she has the refund, and I'm out the money.  Absolutely, nothing can be done to her to get the money.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 11 07:21:33 2016

^^
Ebay would prefer that sellers use BIN vs. the auction anyway.  Auctions are being phased out.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 11 09:01:47 2016

I wouldn't want the payment to automatically go through. There are enough buyers who make a mistake about buying some, they say they didn't realize the item is used, etc. and want to cancel the order ONCE THEY'VE PAID, and then want to cancel the order. The Ebay options are so pitiful, the only thing to do is cancel the order and then the seller has to eat the $.30 Pypal transaction fee because the buyer made a mistake and the seller is accommodating them. This has happened to me many times. I'd rather they just don't pay and I then wait the requisite # of days and indicate the buyer didn't pay and they get a non payment ding that means absolutely nothing but at least I'm not out the $.30 transaction fee (it's the principle of me having to pay for the buyer's mistake that bother me -- Ebay should give a $1 or some other figure as a cancellation fee for any payments that have been made and cancelled.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 11 09:35:01 2016

Who says it doesn't happen on AZ? I know sellers who've complained on Facebook about that exact thing.  Amazon however defends against them if you give them the tracking number.  Ebay lately, doesn't

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 11 09:58:27 2016

If the buyer is forced to buy. Item will be returned as not described.  Cost the seller more.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

by: hzATL This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 11 10:10:01 2016

When I first started selling David Yurman and John Hardy jewelry on eBay in 2009 I listed every item auction style. After several deadbeat bidders I realized auction style was not for me. Every item I list is Buy It Now with immediate payment required. Beggars asking to delay payment until payday, when they get their eBay bucks, etc. are politely told no. I might miss a sale or two but that's okay.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 11 10:33:28 2016

I had more deadbeat bidders last year than any year since I started selling on eBay in 2002. And they all seem to be newbies with 0 feedback.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 11 10:47:05 2016

Consider a 'deadbeat bidder' the same as you would consider a refund (forced under Ebay selling terms).
If you forced a bidder to pay through Paypal at the end of the listing (through forced-payment by having the Paypal account linked to the bid), then, under Ebay rules they could immediatly ask for a refund, which you would have to honor. Now, you are out a small paypal fee and you have a mark against YOUR account.

Better to consider a non-paying bidder as YOU avoiding a mark against your account for a refund.

A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?   A Rise in Deadbeat Bidders on eBay?

by: Small Guy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 11 11:00:31 2016

We have done Estate Sales for years.  Steadily we have gotten more and more people leaving bids they won't honor when we call them.

We've had to post signs saying "I promise to honor my bid if I am called" and print that on the bid slip for them to sign.

That helped some.  But yes, it seems to mainly be young people who don't think it is improper to bid and then not follow through.

It may be a cultural trend to not worry about keeping a promise or doing what's right.

"Whatever"