Sun Jan 3 2016 12:02:13

Reseller Frustrated by Inaccurate Descriptions on eBay

By: Reader

As the New Year rolls around, I wanted to express some of my thoughts about eBay sellers. I average $1000.00 purchase per month and this month of Dec was the worst.

Jewelry come as 925, but not 925, 18 kt gold come in at 10 kt after acid testing.

Ring described as 1/2 ct when it was .25 ct.

Chipped, broken jewelry.

Sellers always want to blame buyers but it takes a great deal of time and energy to return items. Jewelry either don't want to test their items because they know that the mark for carat is incorrect, or they just don't care.

Actually has one jewelry seller point out there was a chip in a fob on a bracelet but then never mentioned that the metal had worn off the other fob charms.

She actually said that she needed the bracelet back so that she could relist if for Xmas. This was a piece of junk and no one would have bid on it if the seller had been honest in describing the wear to the bracelet.

I am not a buyer who wants to try something on...I buy to resell, and if sellers continue this nonsense with not telling the truth, there will be less and less sales
Beverly

Reseller Frustrated by Inaccurate Descriptions on   Reseller Frustrated by Inaccurate Descriptions on

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Jan 3 13:50:48 2016

This is a minority of sellers just like the troublesome buyers are a minority.  You are correct, it is a two way street.  There are bad sellers out there.  Not near as many as their once was.  The way Ebay evals sellers is stiff and if a buyer leaves honest FB, eventually the bad sellers will be weeded out.  The same is not true for bad buyers.

It was the sellers right to say they wanted it back for Christmas sales.  If you wanted to return it for a refund, you are suppose to ship back within 5 days or a seller can have Ebay close the claim for non shipment.  It isn't up to you how a seller runs their business or what others may or may not like.  But you have every right to you opinion and to purchase things that meet your needs.

Just move on to another seller.  There are plenty of them.  As for the seller or sellers you've been having problems with this season, if they continue to do as you describe, it won't take them long to get restricted by Ebay or closed down completely.  Or it may be they just wrote a bad listing and won't repeat the error.  Occasionally it is just an honest error, but of course sometimes it isn't.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Jan 3 14:09:52 2016

Is this letter from the recurring "Beverly" who has been complaining for years about eBay sellers on this blog, but continues to buy on eBay?

If I'd have had the experience that Beverly has had on any site more than once, I'd refrain from buying on that site.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Jan 3 16:14:54 2016

Worse, IMO, is when buyers scrutinize a purchase to find a flaw in order to get a partial refund. Not that I am accusing Beverly of doing this, but I have had resellers do this on my accurately and painstakingly described and photographed items. Wised up a long time ago and no longer give partial refunds.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Jan 3 17:57:39 2016

@Rexford - I'm almost certain this is The Beverly that is constantly complaining about what she buys on eBay. I think she should stick to buying in person at swap meets or yard sales where she can thoroughly inspect what she is buying.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Jan 3 19:11:34 2016

I agree iheartjacksparrow. She's been complaining about her bad experiences for years on this blog. And yet she buys, buys and buys. (And then complains, complains, complains.)

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 3 19:35:21 2016

Its nice to hear a seller complain after all the buyers that have complained and complained and complained.

Seems like a two way street to me.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Jan 3 20:28:44 2016

If this is the same Beverly, she should know the sellers to buy from by now especially after reselling for so long. The Chinese have been flooding eBay and Amazon with fake sterling silver. If a seller has a high number of same or similar items for sale, chances are these are massed produced. Selling what seems like high quality items at a ridiculously low price is another indicator. If the same item is being sold by multiple sellers, chances are you are not getting a rare gem or a steal.

Of course some flaws could be overlooked by even the most honest sellers. I have taken many photos of an item and did not see a flaw, missing stone, crack etc. until reviewing my photos and hopefully seeing it before listing or selling.

Those with high feedback KNOW what they are selling, aside from human error. It's the new sellers and those with low feedback, again IMO, who get taken advantage by bad buyers and resellers. And yes, it works the other way too. Hoping to get 18k, platinum, emeralds, rubies for pennies on the dollar and if they paid too much work their scam to get some sort of discount or free after the sale.

Most of us old sellers know the ropes by now and this blame game is getting stale. Take responsibility for pete's sake!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Jan 3 20:28:50 2016

@sasikat9 - I'd feel sorry for Beverly if she wasn't always looking to buy jewelry at really cheap prices that she can then turn around and sell for a hefty profit. Sometimes there's a reason the jewelry is cheap. And as the buyer, she has eBay's buyer protection policy to insure she gets her money back if the jewelry is different than what was described.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sun Jan 3 23:36:29 2016

When I attempt to sell something that is not in my realm of expertise I try to be honest and note my lack thereof on the listing - then describe the item with words and photos the best I can, especially any markings.

Knowing up front that the seller may be lacking in-depth knowledge would hopefully cue buyer to ask questions about the item that would give them any missing info they need.  I expect some bargains are found this way.

Non-jewelry sellers don't have testing kits and most would not know what to do with them if they did.

My ring knowledge is pretty well limited to:  it turned my finger green - it did not turn my finger green.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Jan 4 00:22:30 2016

Prior to making a purchase, I carefully scrutinize the seller's feedback. On occasion, I will stumble across a seller with a hefty percentage of negs and neutrals...and yet, buyers still buy from them. Not sure if that is Beverly's case or if she has a 'feedback threshold' but chances for an unsatisfactory transaction seems proportional to neg/neutral feedback.

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 4 00:30:07 2016

I always chuckle at the 're-seller' who complains only about the 'buys' in which they could not double, triple, quadruple their 'investment', yet, not once, in a 'long career' ever comes to tell of that 'costume lot' that yielded an 18kt gold piece, or an un-researched by seller big name designer score...

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 4 00:53:01 2016

Just a thought, maybe she has left negatives or irritated all the good sellers who have blocked her and is now stuck with the bad ones.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jan 4 07:03:34 2016

Sasikat9, perhaps you and Beverly can get together for coffee. :)

by: peetee This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 4 09:04:38 2016

as expected, most individuals that respond on this blog, are against buyers.

As a buyer, we only expect to receive what was described.nothing more nothing less.

and by the way, if the sellers accept a return with no problems,great feedback is always left for seller.

Never try to hurt a seller's rating by leaving negative feedback.

THE POINT BEING,since I use ebay to purchase many items, I keep buying.

But what about the buyer who just buys for themselves??do you think that they will again buy so quickly on ebay when they receive items that are not as described or damaged?

sellers should give this some thought when they complain about sales dropping

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 4 09:24:07 2016

bought set of bookends, 1 of which had the head nearly broken off. Sent back for SNAD refund, seller relisted set again with no mention of damage AGAIN. I inquired using another ID if the bookends had any damage or repairs. Got very hazy answer that there might be something wrong with one near the neck line but hard to tell. The head was more than 50% broken off when I sent back. This is perfect example of what is wrong with eBay

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Mon Jan 4 11:00:56 2016

Knock on wood, but I have not had to tussle with a seller that did not stand behind their item for several years now.  (ahem - you do NOT ship alabaster chess pieces LOOSE and unpadded, in a box.)

spooky and I may have encountered the same seller.

by: msquezal This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 4 12:07:10 2016

I am just like LasVagueness! If i am buying from a seller that is not known to me i will always check the feedback and not only read what is plain as day in front of my face but also between the lines. Very rarely are there endless bargains to be had for resale on eBay in the fine jewelry category. There are the obvious long time trustworthy sellers who have feedback that reflect their quality....but the items they sell also have  high prices that reflect the quality of the goods they sell! Something for nothing rarely happens. It is always wise to be able to handle the piece and check it in person if you are spending any large sum of money! Ebay might not be the best venue for Beverly to shop in. My guess is that she is never satisfied and spends her days making many sellers miserable for no good reason!  I have had buyers like Beverly and they are a nightmare. The only negative i ever got in my 15 years of selling on eBay was from someone just like her. I was selling a 14 kt gold band with tiny diamond chips. I had it priced at less than scrap because i had found the ring in a lot of costume jewelry that had already more than paid for itself. It was accurately described and when she received it i guess she decided that she could not double her money or make enough profit to retire on so she emailed and told me to refund her half the price she paid because she was unhappy with the quality. I told her to return it if she was not happy for a full refund plus shipping and i would be happy to relist it. I refused to be shook down by the likes of her! She gave me a negative and said the ring was not gold and the stones were not diamonds (the piece had been checked by a jeweler so indeed it was as described) I was furious....but not as furious as i was when i checked her "feedback left for others" and every 4th or 5th seller had received the same negative that she gave me because they refused to be shook down by this criminal! I complained to eBay, they did nothing, it took a few years before they finally booted her sorry behind off the site. I never sold another piece of gold on eBay again. Its just too risky when you have people like Beverly expecting the Hope Diamond when they are only paying for chips! Yes, i am sure that there are plenty of lying cheating sellers out there but it does not take a rocket scientist to avoid them! Sorry Beverly...no sympathy here!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jan 4 13:44:29 2016

@peetee

I respect that this is how you feel.  But it isn't always the case.  Good stories, heartfelt warm and fuzzy stories don't get a lot of attention.  There have been many over the years on this site.  And they just don't get a lot of attention or participation by posters.

What you see mostly here is the ugly side.  That is what people want to talk about.  They come here to vent and to find solutions.  This is true on most any blog.  You see it all over the Ebay boards.

As many have said many times here.  The vast majority of buyers are awesome.  If they weren't no one would sell on the internet.  It is just a minority of buyers that become problematic.  Those buyers take a good chunk of time to work through the issues.

Now some of those buyers have legitimate complaints or concerns and good sellers will take very good care of them to resolve the issue.  But you need to recognize that there are many buyers that are out there to take advantage of as many sellers as they can.  Get something for nothing.  They are thieves and they literally steal food off our tables.

You appear to be among the majority.  A buyer that acts responsibly.  You should however have some consideration that there are those out there that do not share your morals or actions.

"sellers should give this some thought when they complain about sales dropping".  Now this statement shows that you are not aware of many things that are currently happening on Ebay that contribute to this issue.

Granted bad sellers will see this, but again they are the minority of sellers, not the majority.  And it is a great number of sellers, good sellers that are experiencing this for some reasons recently covered under another blog here.

Besides, bad sellers do not last long on Ebay anyway.  Ebay has a very strict evaluation process of sellers.  We are penalized and / or dismissed from Ebay if you don't pass their test.  Sellers on Ebay are held to very high standards.

As for the remarks here by many of the posters, the OP on this blog has a history here.  A long history here as many have described.  You should also consider that.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Mon Jan 4 20:55:10 2016

@msquezal

I agree. "Beverly" is attempting to buy for retail resale at prices that are near retail. How does this work? The profit margin seems very thin.

Bet she has used the 6 month PayPal return policy a few times when the precious metals market has taken a beating!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jan 4 22:19:46 2016

Marie says " But you need to recognize that there are many buyers that are out there to take advantage of as many sellers as they can.  Get something for nothing.  They are thieves and they literally steal food off our tables."

This is a powerful statement, and it resonates with me. For the most part I've had great buyers, but what I find is that there are many more buyers like Marie describes in this statement on eBay than any other site that we sell.  We have very little problems on the other sites that we sell. I feel that eBay has bred many of the problem buyers and eBay certainly enables them.  They flock to eBay because eBay is more likely to let them get away with it, throwing sellers under the bus even when sellers can prove their cases. Even when buyers lose their case, they can run to PayPal's "the buyer is always right" policy.

I am naturally suspicious when the same buyer, who complains about awful experiences over and over continues to buy.