Fri Sept 25 2015 15:56:35

eBay Should Help Sellers Optimize for Google

By: Reader

For the life of me I can't figure out why eBay doesn't give sellers SEO (Search Engine Optimization) tools when listing their products. I recently began built my own web site with Wordpress and I find the SEO tools available to be extremely helpful when it comes to meeting the requirements of Google (green light means good to go).

eBay spends so much time on UPC Codes and Item Specifics but does nothing to help sellers set-up their listings to meet search engine requirements to help OUTSIDE of eBay which in turn could bring buyers to eBay. And, now I read they are doing away with metatags?

How about giving sellers the tools to write Google friendly titles (shorter NOT longer) and start our description with a few sentences (meta description)? How about giving us tools to help us reach the Google friendly green light?

And, speaking of search engines, when I type in my eBay store name in Google, all that ever comes up is my eBay store HOME PAGE, any eBay guides I've written, and my store Home Page in AUS or UK but NEVER any of my USA store "product pages."

Even if I type MYSTORENAME and EBAY in the search bar, individual listings do not show up. If I have to type my eBay store name on my business card: www.stores.ebay.com/MYSTORENAME for people to find my store, why doesn't my store name with PRODUCT PAGES show up with my listings when searching my store name in Google?

I really question whether eBay is submitting my individual product listings to Google. I compare this search test to my own independent Wordpress store, and my product pages were showing in Google within a few days.

When I get very specific with my search, "MyStoreName, eBay, Cross Stitch Pattern", the only product pages I find (like others have said) are my ended listings or other sellers' listings, not mine!

I know eBay search is screwed up. I know about the eBay/Google battle, but come on eBay, help us! eBay please start setting sellers up to succeed, not fail! Give us the proper SEO tools for the "big" search engines, not just eBay's internal Cassini. Fix the search engine situation and perhaps you'll fix the main problem sellers have with eBay. Until our listings can be found inside AND outside of eBay, you have set sellers up to fail.

Like others, my sales have plummeted this past year. This is starvation level, go find another job level, can barely pay my store fees level, let alone contribute to household bills. HELP US PLEASE! Fix your search engine and give us the tools to meet search engine requirements OUTSIDE of eBay!
Wellspring

eBay Should Help Sellers Optimize for Google   eBay Should Help Sellers Optimize for Google

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 25 20:26:36 2015

(Shhhhhhh, we like to keep secrets here at ebay so the sellers blame themselves for their lack of sales).

Ebay Jeff

(We also enjoy skirting questions and we laugh amongst ourselves in our cubicles later).

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 26 08:09:42 2015

You obviously haven't internalized eBayThink! In the SJ Ivory Tower, it's widely believed that eBay is so powerful, and the brand name so respected, that they don't need no stinkin' promotion! feeBay is the Be All and End All! If prospective buyers don't know enough to come directly to ebay.com, well, that's their own darn fault. These brilliant individuals run an "ecommerce platform" and are therefore tech savvy; they can't be bothered with educating the masses of the Great Unwashed.

by: froggie This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 26 11:40:37 2015

Until ebay changes/fixes it's product listing page and store front code to be responsive, sellers are shut out of Google shopping and search results and out of Google's organic search results. The only results that show, and will show, are the generic ebay responsive and mobile compliant landing pages.

There isn't a single SEO tool anywhere that will fix this.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Sep 26 11:41:30 2015

Management that is only concerned about enriching their own personal wealth can't see the forest for the trees. If all sellers are profitable then the company and management will be profitable.  This is something that seems to have escaped management for the last decade or more.  Management want the pie, they aren't thinking that you may want a slice.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 26 16:03:51 2015

I KNOW this is off-topic and I am sorry about that but DO NOT turn off your bidder blocks for any reason.

(I needed the $$).

I have 2 different buyers with npb's from last week that bid on 2nd items just before the reports opened- I am so screwed- 1 item npb, and 1 item won this week, so I cannot do anything.

These folks do not communicate either.
If I close their 1st npb they will pay the 2nd and destroy me.

They are blocked now but what are they going to do when they are blocked and cannot bid on their 3rd item- with 1 npb, another READY to go npb and now they cannot bid on their 3rd?

I would have blocked but I do not generally do npb's until the 3-4th day- (5 day auctions).

I thought I was going to have a pleasant weekend dealing w/ just 1 bogus tie return.

Do not turn off your bidder blocks ever.

These low-level buyers will take you out of biz for FUN and then will laugh about it- blocks back up via bulk edit.

MH

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Sep 26 21:45:34 2015

@Mass Howler - I'm so sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your bidders. I just don't understand people who bid on auctions and then don't pay for their wins. Whatever happened to having a binding written contract whenever a person placed a bid? Oh, I forgot, buyers/bidders are eBay's little darlings and they can do no wrong, no matter how many of eBay's "rules" they violate.

Have you thought about going to BINs with immediate payment required?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Sep 27 13:07:54 2015

Bids on eBay should be backed with a payment system such as a credit card that is automatically charged or debited once the auction closes.  As iheartjacksparrow wrote though, these are eBay's little darlings and they can do no wrong.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Sep 27 13:16:07 2015

@Rexford - What you just wrote is what I've always thought should be implemented: You win an auction, and your PayPal account (since for all intents and purposes is the only way you can pay) is automatically charged for the win. It would be so simple, and eliminate the entire NPB issue. But I guess that solution is too obvious for eBay's executives to comprehend.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 28 02:53:29 2015

Iheartjacksparrow et al--Yes;  the ebay execs are incredibly short sighted and fail to see MOST of what is going WRONG with the company.

And if WE dare to complain that we are being screwed WE get told to STFU--I got this from a CSR once!

If they spent a tiny fraction of the "Retention Bonus Money"  on FIXING their BUSINESS instead of throwing good money after bad rubbish--they would HAVE more money to do what the ever the heck they wanted with it.

But FIXING--Lalalala I can't hear you!  Is what THEY are saying in their Ivory Tower.

Which is ALSO the issue with the ACTUAL TOPIC HERE--they REFUSE to let these listings go out into the world on general search engines and so SELLERS--ie the CUSTOMERS of ebay--are once again--screwed.

I read the comment above "Internal Search Engine Cassini"  as "Infernal Search Engine Cassini"----

You pick which one is more accurate.

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Mon Sep 28 09:50:09 2015

Even if listings are exposed by Google search, the eBay web site works so poorly that some buyers must end up being discouraged from using it. Slow loading ads and extraneous content result can cause eBay web pages to freeze or scrolling to work poorly. Buyers who have given up in frustration are unlikely to return until eBay cleans up its act on all modern browser platforms.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 28 10:22:12 2015

@cfrphoto--Completely agree!  Will say that using Ad Blocker does improve this some what.

I "lost"  my ad block program during a (failed)  attempt to update to Win 10 and noticed a huge issue with load times etc  even when on a decent wifi (ours is very slow over old old copper).  When I put ad block on again this did improve.

But I suspect that  a lot of the ads I STILL see ON EBAY are something not "covered"  by ad block and still bog things down.

Why ebay cannot seem to be bothered to pay programmers to FIX these endless issues that DRIVE BOTH BUYERS AND SELLERS AWAY is far beyond me.

by: nordicgal This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 28 20:04:33 2015

This is off topic as well but something happened that completely surprised me.  I had recently talked to a relative and and old friend and the subject of eBay came up.  Neither the relative nor friend sell on eBay and the relative was only an occasional buyer.

The relative was fully aware of eBay's bad seller policies, buyer scam problems and the things often discussed here.

The friend thought that eBay was one of ''the first'' and the ''old dog'' and felt they probably weren't doing what they should to keep up with the new times in the marketplace.

I was just surprised that these two people, that are on the ''outside'' had so much knowledge and insight on the problems with eBay.