Fri Sept 18 2015 11:51:28

Etsy Should Not Rely on Sellers to Do Its Marketing

By: Reader

Chad Dickerson says, "The strength of Etsy's brand and the loyal customers we have has meant we haven't had to spend a lot of money on marketing relative to companies you might compare us to," he told investors - 90% of Etsy's traffic came from unpaid channels in 2014, and that trend continues.

It isn't so much that Etsy doesn't have to spend a lot of money on marketing, it's that they won't. We shop owners were told some months ago that we shouldn't depend on Etsy to do marketing for us. They were touting social media for ourselves to bring in our own customers.

Without Etsy having a strong marketing campaign, I can't tell you how difficult it is for small shop owners such as myself to "get found".  Marketing on social media is a time consuming job and it's exhausting trying to balance that with listing merchandise in our shops.

When I list a new item, I have to pin it on Pinterest; put it on Twitter; Tumblr; write it up on Facebook.  That doesn't include other sites that some of my friends use such as scoop.it, flickr, etc.  Now multiply that by numerous times a day.

I have two small vintage shops and Etsy hardly ever shows any love for vintage.  I would say most don't even know Etsy has a vintage category because it's hardly ever...or ever...mentioned in any write-up about Etsy. Most people I talk with have never even heard of Etsy. "Etsy? What's that? Never heard of it."

Imagine how much more successful Etsy would be if they did some marketing. Imagine how much we small merchants would benefit from an Etsy ad campaign.

We small sellers feel we're doing Etsy's job for them. There has been a growing resentment towards Etsy since they kind of cut us loose to make it on our own. Couple that with their manufacturing campaign, redefining Etsy's mission, for the most part allowing offshore manufacturers to flood the marketplace in direct competition to small sellers, and you realize Etsy isn't a happy place.

Oh, I forgot all the tinkering they do, all the arbitrary changes they make which never seem to be in our favor. It's like they make this silly changes just because they can...and tell us about it like it's pink cotton candy and rainbows. We have to deal with it because Etsy isn't very responsive or caring about us, nor very interested in what we, THEIR CUSTOMER, has to say if it doesn't toe the Etsy line.

Online selling is hard enough, but if Etsy would just throw us a juicy bone every now and then, it would be somewhat easier.
Frustratedly,
D.

Etsy Should Not Rely on Sellers to Do Its Marketin   Etsy Should Not Rely on Sellers to Do Its Marketin

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 18 13:02:46 2015

Etsy = Rarely heard or seen of.

Ecrater, Bonanza (or whatever its called now ) Etsy are just a pin drop in the ocean.  The management of each could care less about the sellers and buyers only their own bank accounts which are probably overflowing in some off shore bank.

Management is in the business of making wallstreet happy. Doesn't give a care  about anything else. Sellers are just noise and are treated as such. Noise just bounces off of the ivory towers and sellers haven't yet realized it.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Sep 18 14:51:57 2015

@sasikat9 - I have no knowledge of Bonanza, and haven't tried selling on Etsy in many, many years, but I can assure you that eCrater cares about its sellers. The only money they have ever accepted from me is used to gain visibility in Google Shopping. I don't pay a store subscription fee, or any other kind of fee that isn't used to generate views of my listings. eCrater doesn't have to make Wall Street happy because they're not a publicly traded company. eCrater listens to its sellers; we are not "noise" to them. Please do not lump eCrater in with other marketplaces that are trying to fleece their sellers.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 19 10:23:48 2015

I think that Etsy, Bonanza, eBay and such forget that the sellers on their sites and taking commissions are their customers. These people are computer geeks and can easily do "free" type of advertising as Pinterest, Facebook, Wanelo, Tweeting and such for a minimum of their time and then to some money on advertising their sites.

I wonder where the 2 million on Bonanza advertising went to, besides all the sellers that pay google for advertising their items.
Bonanza, to get the best views/not necessary sales is use the highest % to advertise on google. It's not worth a membership there. They also expect the community to answer the newbies questions, when they have all these people making front page collections and such. The have very poor searching for products on that site that I stop buying items over there. Or they do testing of new program and not let sellers not that they are the guinea pigs. The last episode was the "so call MSRP" that really is falsifying a discount price.

Etsy, So many people had to find out that they had to shift their items into the "new" right categories to be found.

I do like eCrater. I set my own terms and I do my own thing.

by: Upmod Rich This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 19 13:09:45 2015

I can't work out how Etsy spends $15 million on Marketing in the second quarter of this year and still fails to support it's handmade sellers adequately, I mean "where is $15 million going?" - That's an annual run rate of $60 Million! A massive amount.

The fact that Etsy seems increasingly disinterested in supporting small handmade artisans, and concentrating instead on potentially bigger revenue streams by supporting sellers with the desire to mass produce, is one outcome of going public.

They simply MUST find new/larger revenue streams now they have sold their future to the public markets.

For the smaller marketplaces, like our at www.upcyclepost.com, there is now an opportunity to be the voice of the artisan and to provide the kind of access and support that individual artists need. We like to think of ourselves as the Nordstrom of customer service to our upcycled artisans - we obviously don't have the resources of the big marketplaces, but we have the passion and desire to support our mission of growing the upcycling marketplace one product sale at a time.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 19 14:24:57 2015

@upmodrich

At first I thought upcycle was for bicycles or motorcycles.  Misleading name is their first mistake.

I broused for a few minutes and found that their is hardly anything within reason for sale their. Navigating the site is a disaster.

So I guess upcycle is just another wantta be with a ton of problems and no advertising either.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Sep 19 18:41:31 2015

@sasikat9 - I'm surprise that you, as a person involved in, and informed about, ecommerce, have not heard the term "upcycle." Do you also think that the term "recycle" is related to bicycles or motorcycles?

by: Owen This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 20 09:34:08 2015

eCRATER does care about its sellers, and is very responsive to their needs. It is a fine place to sell and has a good working relationship with Google.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 20 09:54:28 2015

@iheartjacksparrow

Just where in my statement did I say anything about recycle.

Upcycle to me would mean something to do with a bicycle or motorcycle. Sorry you are confused.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Sep 20 11:02:26 2015

@sasikat9 - I'm not confused; I know what upcycle means. And if I didn't already know, I would educate myself before I made erroneous assumptions. And I referenced recycle, as it seemed to me that any word with "cycle" as part of it means, to you, it has to do with bicycles or motorcycles.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sun Sep 20 14:27:02 2015

eCrater is generating a little traffic but no sales for me.  Entering UPCs for half of my inventory didn't make a difference against the half that I didn't get around to.  This is exactly why there's so much resistance to doing it on eBay.  Let's all just spend more time for nothing in return.  Frankly, even if these venues weren't all throttlers or ghost towns, skyrocketing wholesale prices are making it really difficult to let greedy platforms gobble every cent of margin allowed by a cheap, and getting cheaper by the minute, consumer base.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 21 03:02:04 2015

@Iheartjacksparrow---

Sasikat is what would on any other blog be called a troll==-she is willfully ignorant and contrary and as long as she has been on here she has been disruptive and argumentative;  contrary and nasty.  She also HATES ebay sellers and feel we are ALL mean and cheats and out to "get"  poor lil buyers like HER.

And who has been on the interwebs for more than about 5 minutes with out running into the term UPCYCLE?   She should have ASKED or RESEARCHED--but she chose to attack.

Sorry for her behavior.

Coming back endlessly to check posts is a bit frustrating and time wasting--as is the inability to post directly TO the person saying something. (I mean to post in a thread like formation;  not to their personal email!)   That feature would be GREAT here!!!!

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 21 06:29:48 2015

Off topic but i gotta get this out. Everytime ebay ran tv ads sales dropped. There i said it. Carry on

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Mon Sep 21 08:37:37 2015

"Question for you tho---I see people on here coming "back"  to "answer"  or further comment on others posts--how do you KNOW that some one else HAS posted?  On a lot of sites I have the option TO be notified if some one either posts to my answer or just adds a new post--I am not seeing that HERE.  What do I have to do to link to that option here?"

@Comet - go into your account settings and select "YES" to email notifications. You'll get an email the first time a person comments after you have commented within a thread (may not necessarily be a response directly to you).

by: JimJuris This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 21 10:12:54 2015

I have been saying this for years, when you sell on someone elses venue THEY are in full control.  When you sell on your own website YOU are in full control.

Instead of spending all of your time marketing for Etsy why not buy a domain for your two shops such as janedoevintage.com and sell your vintage products on a venue such as IndieMade.com or maybe even Shopify.com.

IndieMade.com is basically the same thing as selling on Etsy but it is also like having your own website.

You do not need to know any HTML coding to sell on IndieMade.com.

Nobody will be telling you what you can and can not do when you sell on IndieMade.com.

You probably will save a lot of money in fees too by using IndieMade.com or Shopify.com.

I have sold on IndieMade.com in the past, but never on Shopify.com.  Shopify is basically an upscale selling venue.

IndieMade.com has 4 different selling packages and some of them will even allow you to link to your Etsy shop.

Plus, when you sell on IndieMade.com you do not pay a listing or final value fee and your listings never expire.  You just pay the low monthly seller fee and of course the PayPal fee when an item sells.

Also, you can market for yourself rather than for Etsy by having a domain name and a website of your own using IndieMade.com.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Sep 21 10:38:43 2015

Thank you David Steiner for that information.

But to answer comet's question, I just check throughout the day to see what has been newly posted. I love reading everyone's comments, and I learn a lot from other sellers' experiences and insights, so I just check back several times a day on those subjects that interest me.

by: JimJuris This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 21 11:40:51 2015

I also want to thank David Steiner for letting everyone know how to be notified when a new comment is posted here since it is not really explained very clearly here.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 21 20:44:08 2015

Thank you @DAVID STEINER for 'splainin' that!  Make my life easier when there is a topic I want to keep up on!

Fingers crossed it works!

by: Jcords This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 22 07:11:16 2015

When Etsy added a new activity feed in 2012 it gave them the ability to direct etsy traffic in a serious way. It doesn't matter how much we market because Etsy takes that traffic and directs it to the larger shops. To retain the larger shops they have to keep them happy. Most of the smaller shops saw a dramatic traffic and income decrease when that new feed was brought online. So no, Etsy doesn't have to do any marketing. We do it for them. All they have to do is direct traffic!