Mon Sept 14 2015 13:53:38

Reader Says Amazon Penalizes Sellers for Buyer Errors

By: Reader

We are constantly being kicked out of the Amazon Premium Shipper program despite having excellent stats. Why? Because Prime customers mistakenly choose us and then cancel their order. That cancellation is then counted against us and we're temporarily suspended from the program.

It's either rigged so we can't compete against Prime or they are just clueless about their own stats system. Either way it needs to be exposed.
R.

From the Editor: For those not familiar with the Amazon Premium Shipping program:

"Premium Shipping provides fast shipping options that require high delivery performance standards from sellers to offer them. These fast shipping options improve the customer experience by communicating a clear delivery-day to the customer, which includes the seller-set handling time and shipping speed."

Sellers must meet certain requirements to participate, Amazon considers the following: tracking IDs from shipping carrier; on-time delivery rate; order defect rate; and seller-initiated order cancellation rate.

Reader Says Amazon Penalizes Sellers for Buyer Err   Reader Says Amazon Penalizes Sellers for Buyer Err

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Sep 14 17:03:02 2015

I can definitely understand how Amazon would hold SELLERS accountable for cancelling a purchase... but why would the seller be penalized when a BUYER cancels the purchase? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 03:47:18 2015

Same thing happen to me. I can not comprehend why Amazon would do such a thing. Is stupid to say the least. They blame sellers for a lot of buyers mistake such as when a buyer enters incorrect address or un-deliverable address and the order gets sent back. Is the sellers mistake. Why ? cause Amazon says so.

by: Yorlasty This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 03:47:58 2015

Amazon will hold you accountable only if cancellation was done without following correct process. If buyer requests cancellation make sure that they did it correctly and email was received with subject "Order cancellation request from Amazon customer...". If there is no email with such topic Amazon assumes that it was seller cancellation

by: cosqueen This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 07:10:05 2015

Yorlasty: the buyer has to use the drop down menu to request a cancellation. If you receive only an email asking to cancel, it will be held against you. I just regained my premium shipping status due to this same error. I had an email from the customer requesting cancellation and AMAZON did NOT recognize that as an official request to cancel.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 08:18:39 2015

It would be great if customers would do it the correct way, but they don't - and you can't make them. They rarely communicate with you to answer questions or requests and then you end up with a "late shipment" if the customer won't get back to you for more info, be it address errors or request to send the cancellation email or anything emails they send you that hold up the shipment process.

by: Alex5512 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 09:14:09 2015

I had that happen to me in a different way. I received an order for a very high end product. The order had a totally invalid address. If you ship to any address other than the one in the order the buyer can get a refund and state they did not receive the item. The address they gave did not ever exist and there wasnt even a close distance from another residence. Buyers will place invalid addresses for fraudulent purposes at times to get the expensive item free. We had no choice but to cancel the order which was to ship second day. I was then removed from the premium shipping program for having too many (1) cancelled order. Not right. In the toy qualifications they use your seller statistics and defect rates and the premium shipping program should be the same. Instead they take your total premium shipping orders and use those to offset your stats. Nor right.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 10:01:04 2015

I would like to know the whys behind the cancellation requests. It is so easy to say the customer cancelled and now we are in trouble with Amazon, but I suspect for many sellers on Amazon it is the total lack of info about what they are selling in the comments section that can scare off a seller even directly after a purchase. In my niche (sewing patterns) I have seen sellers insert in the comment section their usual blurb that is all about DVDs NOT anything to do with a pattern. Many put nothing in the comment section at all. Rather than just complaining about Amazon, what about spending some time to track what kind of orders receive the most cancellation requests and try to figure out why? If you can't figure it out, ask another seller that may be a friend of yours to look at your listings and give you an idea. We do this all the time on eCRATER, especially to help newbies get off to a good start. Even so if an 'Older' seller is selling outside their usual comfort zone they can ask for help and be given it.

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 10:02:48 2015

I have been part of the Amazon Premium Shipper program since its inception and have never been 'kicked off'.
Perhaps you should check the descriptions of what you are selling.
Also, if it is the seller that cancels, it should not affect your Amazon metrics.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 11:57:39 2015

This is slightly "OT"  as I don't sell on Amazon but here is something interesting:::

I had a Prime trial and tried to use a "feature"  that did not work and that I was very disapointed with.  I used the LIVE CHAT--why is it that almost EVERY TIME I go to Amazon I end up on CHAT???---and they admitted this was an issue and then called me back and offered me a $20 "credit"  for pointing this out.

FFWD:  Wanted something from AZ and put it in my cart and discovered that the item was not triggering my "credit";  went back to CHAT and was told I needed it to be FROM  AZ and SHIPPED by AZ; NO way to sort FOR this; so this was not the case here and because the shipping on a lightweight item in this case was MORE (and NO DIM Weight involved)  than the cost I was going to drop it.

AZ decided to let me KEEP my Credit;  and GIFTED me the shipping.

The item BTW was on my doorstep the NEXT DAY--out here in rural New York from Kentucky in less than 16 HOURS.

Now as a seller on ebay I could NEVER match this shipping--even shipping the SAME day the PO takes way too long!  And using FedEx or UPS out here is an issue.

Now waiting for an ebay shipment of small but DENSE items (lead acid batteries)  and we shall see how LONG it take them to get here!

Heres the thing--Amazon WANTS to provide an unmatched customer experience--=almost instant gratification--and is pretty dang close.

But to PUNISH a seller for a BUYER INITIATED CANCEL--no;  this IS wrong.  If this was ME I would pursue until this was NOT a part of their policy;  after all like ebay etc they cannot EXIST without sellers.

And I also suspect that their format--the incredible LACK of some descriptions;  the lack of being able to SEE the individual item YOU will get;  the fact that a LOT of people don't THINK that Amazon  is made up of TWO groups--the individual sellers AND Amazon itself--means that the BUYERS have no way to KNOW how much this absurd policy AFFECTS you.  They wouldn't worry if they canceled an LL Bean order;  no one would be "punished"--so why would they think differently about Amazon?

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 17:13:24 2015

@ Bidonmine  Double check your facts. Especially if the seller cancels your metrics suffer. The idea was to keep sellers from listings items they no longer stock.

In other words Amazon thinks you cancel cause you are out of stock and they don't want you to continue to do that cause it turns customers off.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 17 07:57:53 2015

I see from this thread that somehow the management of The River has contracted "stupid" from the nut jobs in SJ!