Sun Sept 13 2015 20:26:57

eBay Seller Finds Fault with eBay USPS Tracking

By: Reader

I think eBay must be unaware of the fact that USPS now combines Tracking & Insurance, and the number printed on their receipts, when checked with USPS, gives all tracking information. On an uninsured item, one must purchase Tracking separately.

When I go to my Sold items, to add the Tracking number, eBay's system refuses to accept the USPS number. So, on eBay's records, it appears that I have not added Tracking to my shipments. System needs "repair".

Thanks,
Alice

eBay Seller Finds Fault with eBay USPS Tracking   eBay Seller Finds Fault with eBay USPS Tracking

by: TeddyElectron This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 13 21:02:45 2015

If you put in USPS insurance number a dialog box comes up saying it's not a raw tracking number, but their system usually accepts it anyway. EBay will show tracking and delivery when USPS sends updates on that number.

by: Owen This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 13 23:29:15 2015

I've had problems with the insurance number not being accepted in the past, however, in recent times, it has been accepted, and I thought that problem was fixed. Are you saying that it is again a problem? My God, who is programming things at eBay? Bozo the clown?

by: I Live In An Igloo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 14 00:20:04 2015

I can input the insurance numbers on my PC with no problem, but the eBay mobile App won't accept the insurance numbers as a tracking number.

by: sanddogg This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 14 00:21:14 2015

OP..are you marking item as 'SHIPPED' before adding "TRACKING' ?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ihatethebay

Mon Sep 14 00:27:51 2015

Why are you still giving evilbay your hard-earned dollars???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????

by: I Live In An Igloo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 14 00:28:04 2015

By the way, you do not have to purchase tracking separately for packages such as Media Mail or First Class Parcel anymore. The tracking cost has been absorbed into the last price increase for these types of shipments.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 14 02:22:50 2015

Sometimes NOTHING will be accepted on the ebay shipping info page--I found that C&P'ing the number and then RE=FRESHING the page usually gooses it so you can then paste the number back in.

But yes--sometimes even now ebay will show that the Insurance /Tracking number is NOT a valid number--and then  you enter it anyway and it accepts it.

Bozo the Clown has way too many brain cells to work for ebay IT.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Sep 14 03:08:15 2015

@ I Live In An Igloo

That is true if you purchase your postage electronically / print your labels from and online service.  It sounds like the OP is doing it the more expensive way.

When you purchase your postage directly from the post office, not only is the postage itself more expensive, you do have to purchase tracking separately.

Far easier and cost effective to purchase online and print your labels.  But some people do not have printers or just prefer to drive to the post office and purchase what they need.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 14 09:42:18 2015

>>But some people do not have printers <<

I can never comprehend how someone can sell on line without proper equipment and that includes a scale and a printer. I'm not talking about a once a year selling something on line, but all those that regularly sell items. If they have no printer, it means that they are using hand-written addresses for more chances of a package going to the wrong place. No printed return address if they even bother with one, so harder for the package to be returned. And most of all no printed packing slip with the seller's name, url and an invite to shop with them again. These things are BASIC with selling by mail. Now with the costs of buying stuff on line very discounted it is worth it for everyone to have a postage program that is NOT affiliated with eBay or PP and that way you aren't keeping them in the loop for any longer than possible. Even if they want to stick with ebay postage, get a printer and look professional!

by: Tinker Belle This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 14 11:30:18 2015

Encountering ''System unavailable''*** time after time after time after time was the last straw for me. I stopped using eBay/PP for shipping and now have a Stamps.com account.

I hated to spring for a subscription $ but it has been more than offset by the time savings not having to wait for PP ''system AVAILABLE'' to create labels. Also their discounts in many cases are larger than PayPal! and I can print any kind of postage any time if I need to.

Stamps.com has been great - when I have had a problem it's always been a nut behind the wheel situation, my error or something I wasn't aware I should do. Indeed it wasn't the most user friendly system I've encountered but with time to familiarize I'm very happy with it.

Re: Ebay and others: Everyone should realize that Stamps.com (and likely other similar postage providers) will automatically fill in the Tracking#s in your eBay sold items. It even does this for etsy and some other private venues. (I always check to make sure, but they've always been there - and I don't even have an ebay store, just individual listings!!!!)

*** I am sneakily suspicious but of course can't prove that somehow eBay was tracking my account and deliberately targeting me to get ''System Unavailable'' for label printing attempts, in order to get me to agree to ''LINK'' my Ebay and PP accounts -- which I refused to do!! Probably futile but I did NOT want eBay getting my PP information. Who knows what they would access!!  I never used to get these error messages but suddenly would get them say every 2nd or 3rd label I would try to print. So I got out!!!

by: Tinker Belle This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 14 11:38:34 2015

Is everyone aware that you can input more than one Tracking # on your eBay sold item - ?
(I'm not sure why but indeed you can)

I do sometimes purchase insurance separately with a USPS label purchased at the post office.

EITHER that label number or your computer generated address label number can be used for tracking. USPS does not recognize one and not the other. Most people just ask for one - you can ask about both.

As for the eBay system not ''taking'' a number you add, the ''refresh the page'' tip works for me.  I think it's just a delay in their system accepting a number - it doesn't show up POW-INSTANTLY. Refresh the page and it's there.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Sep 14 12:28:48 2015

Marie writes: "But some people ... just prefer to drive to the post office and purchase what they need."

Sometimes it can't be avoided. I print all my postage online, but a few months back I was printing a label (through PayPal MultiOrder Shipping) that needed insurance for $725. I got a message that I couldn't purchase more than $500 insurance. Since I wasn't about to let myself be vulnerable for over $200 in the event the package was lost or destroyed, I had no option but to get my postage, insurance and signature confirmation from a post office facility. Since Alice (OP) mentions insurance, it's very possible that she was faced with the same situation.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 14 12:42:42 2015

Moonwishes: What is basic to you is irrelevant to me as a buyer. Some sellers firmly believe cheap little silky gift bags, hand written thank you notes, printed invoices, and coupons encourage return sales. They just irritate me as more wasted resources to recycle.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 14 13:14:57 2015

Tracking is free when you buy at the counter- has been for about 4 months.

MH

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Sep 14 14:27:36 2015

@jack

I wasn't referring to the occasional trip to the PO. There are always exceptions and a trip to the PO is really the best thing to do for some items.  I don't disagree with you.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 08:31:20 2015

@ Tinker Belle. Multiple tracking numbers are because a MULTI ITEM sale paid on same payment might well be TOO BIG or TOO HEAVY for a single package.  Example I have Darn Convenient Latching Lid CrockPots up on eBay right today. Bundling TWO into a single box would have significant drawbacks so if someone were to order TWO to use as Christmas Gifts I'd be shipping Each one as it's own package. Maybe of more significance if I were shipping one of the Crockpots WITH 3 different DVDs I would For Sure be using two packages as there is NO WAY that I'd be breaking the seals on the NEW IN BOX Crockpots just to ADD in the DVDs.  A Third example would be if I were especially WORRIED about Postal inspectors opening up a MEDIA MAIL shipment and FREAKING OUT at finding a (shudder) Computer Progam in the same box with LEGIT Media Mail items.  Not my Worst Fear, but if I ever DO get WHACKED on something like that I surely will use 2 boxes.  Back around 2003 I bought a SERIES of Collections of LaserDisc movies from eBay sellers who shipped the PLAYER right along with the MOVIES.  I now know that practice actually Violated USPS rules for that special class of mail, but in the event I never had even a Whisper of trouble.  Yes, Virginia There Was an Optical Digital Movie Standard Before DVD. ;-)

by: Tinker Belle This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 11:14:51 2015

@angryllama - Yes indeed, shipping one eBay purchase in multiple boxes is another perfect example of adding more than one tracking # to the list in your eBay Sold .

You are wise to include the Tracking on each individual box.

My example was for one box having two tracking numbers (one on its address label I print out myself and one on the insurance sticker purchased at the PO) - either of those numbers could be used.

If you bought separate insurance for your two boxes, you could input FOUR tracking numbers (2 per box) all of which should be valid.

RE media mail, you are absolutely correct! Everyone should read the requirements before using it. The only thing I find questionable is ''advertising,'' which (for example) in a pamphlet printed in 1916 is no longer valid - so such an example really is ''antique ephemera'' and should not be disqualified from ''Media'' rate, because advertising from 1916 cannot be used today. It's only a historical part of a historical booklet that indeed qualifies as ''Media'' mailing.

by: Tinker Belle This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 15 11:16:21 2015

@angryllama - I meant to also say I think you are a conscientious seller who tries hard for customer satisfaction. It is rewarding when someone you buy from cares enough to pack items safely.